Grinding/rattling noise from wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Your wheel bearing is the part least likely to receive impact damage.

I’d say coil spring, track rod end or anti-roll bar drop link. It could well have bent something too such as the lower arm so it’s a garage job ASAP.

Hit a fairly nasty pothole in Scotland the other day.

On the way back down an occasional grinding noise started coming from one of the wheels on the passenger side. On and off, but it appeared again this morning which is the first time I’ve driven it since Saturday. Brakes are functioning fine but the steering wheel seems to have more play in it when steering left than right.

Likely to be a wheel bearings issue? Getting it in to a mechanic first thing anyway as it doesn’t sound very nice.

@Goat Eyes
Did it make a really loud cracking noise when you hit the pothole. If it did, it's more likely to be the suspension coil

Did it make a really loud cracking noise when you hit the pothole. If it did, it's more likely to be the suspension coil

Can’t remember tbh. I will say the noise didn’t start immediately. Was about an hour afterwards. So the impact itself could just have been a coincidence. Seems unlikely mind.

If its a snapped spring it doesn't explain the grinding noise.
Not always, but believe me it can.

Wife drove round in ours for a week with a broken coil. Every time the car turned to the right the grinding was terrible. I was in full panic mode taking it to the garage

Not always, but believe me it can.

Wife drove round in ours for a week with a broken coil. Every time the car turned to the right the grinding was terrible. I was in full panic mode taking it to the garage

I know what you're saying. Lookin back it's the way I read it as wheel bearing/grinding sound as in rotating noise ;)

Twice I've snapped springs and it tends to be more of a 'clunk' sound with the broken piece of the spring rattling about. Most prominent over speedbumps.

A knackered bearing sounds more like a grinding sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back