Greg Docherty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not too worried Rangers lad at work says he is no great shakes.
Plus we dont have 6 months to get fit enough to play english football

How much is Grigg on? I would say at the very maximum £15k a week (if he is on a goal bonus a lot lot less!).

Bordoux are rumoured to be paying Maja £16k a week....being in Div3 we were never in with a fighting chance of keeping Maja. Even if we had matched Bordeoux's offer of £16k we would have no doubt unsettled the rest of the squad who earning considerably less.

If I was a young lad with no ties to the area and had an opportunity to earn £16k a week in the south of France to play in their D1 or stay at Sunderland in Div 3? I love my club I really do but I think I'd be off like.

The premiership money makes football a different ball game in this country it really does.

We were in for a chance, SD said it himself, had he offered what was requested at an earlier date, he may have stayed.

It was a massive mess and ultimately proved to be a turning point in the owners time here.

You say hindsight is easy but foresight is literally the job of the owners and this was a prime example that it isn't what it should be.
Is it just we are trying to get him on the cheap another non league move perhaps

Id prefer we tried to get all players on the cheap to be honest.

Last edited:
IF (big if) Rangers are trying to get the lad partially off the payroll, surely some contribution is better than then having him kicking round the reserves for 6 months?

IF (big if) Rangers are trying to get the lad partially off the payroll, surely some contribution is better than then having him kicking round the reserves for 6 months?
Probably think another club will pay more towards it, so hanging on for a couple weeks.

Probably think another club will pay more towards it, so hanging on for a couple weeks.
Famous last words but the longer it goes on I think we might end up getting this lad

Rangers need money and they need to reduce their wage bill Been handing out bigger contracts lately and need about £10m investment to balanced the books.
They had high hopes for this lad and he's probably on more than we think certainly more than Murphy who went to Burtons

The talk in Glasgow is that the lad wants to come here but he's being touted around to see if anyone meets their demands
But sounds like we are not the only ones not willing to pay.

cue signs for Charlton headlines

We were in for a chance, SD said it himself, had he offered what was requested at an earlier date, he may have stayed.

It was a massive mess and ultimately proved to be a turning point in the owners time here.

You say hindsight is easy but foresight is literally the job of the owners and this was a prime example that it isn't what it should be.

Id prefer we tried to get all players on the cheap to be honest.
There was no way Sunderland in Div 3 could compete with Bordeoux french league 1 and south of France man - honestly. Maja's head was turned...we couldnt keep one of our own when Liverpool came calling...never mind a kid who had no allegiance to this area. If we were in premiership or were close to the premiership it may have been very different.

Then as a Div 3 club we paid at least £2m for a replacment striker who had a good scoring record in this division. I didnt see many of these great visionaries complaining on here how bad a signing Grigg was when we signed him that night. We need to get some of you on our scouting team that's for sure.

There was no way Sunderland in Div 3 could compete with Bordeoux french league 1 and south of France man - honestly. Maja's head was turned...we couldnt keep one of our own when Liverpool came calling...never mind a kid who had no allegiance to this area. If we were in premiership or were close to the premiership it may have been very different.

Then as a Div 3 club we paid at least £2m for a replacment striker who had a good scoring record in this division. I didnt see many of these great visionaries complaining on here how bad a signing Grigg was when we signed him that night. We need to get some of you on our scouting team that's for sure.

We're getting no where, even SD said himself that acting correctly at the right time may have changed the situation, credit to him for admitting that. There was a time when his contract could have been extended, we didn't do it and cost ourselves millions of pounds.

I'm not sure of your Henderson example, it doesn't fit.

We bought someone for greatly over their intrinsic value and only strengthened the Sunderland tax that those in charge so lament. There were people who said he wasnt a good signing at the time and there were plenty that were happy, this means nothing. Fans hoping for the best isn't a positive for piss poor strategy.

Part of the problem is that those in charge are no more informed than fans and look at the game in the same vein. It is not the fans job to structure the club correctly, it is SD. His very job is foresight and failed on both these occasions to terrible results.

As for getting some fans on the scouting team, Id be all for some of them although I doubt the budget is there.

We paid £3m for Grigg. If our scouts had of done their job they would have seen Grigg wasn't a like for like replacement for Maja. Maja is the kind of player who can get a goal out of nothing where as Grigg is poacher who relies on good service. Our xG suggested we didn't create enough chances. Also, Grigg was out of form and injured. Our first bid was £250,000 and we ended up paying £3m because we panicked. Donald admitted he rang Chris Wilder asking if Sheff Utd were offloading any players and Tony Davison called in a favour at Spurs for Kaz Sterling.

It should be pointed out that Coton was the only scout at the club and he was sick at the time. So I'd imagine we never scouted any of our signings last January.

We paid £3m for Grigg. If our scouts had of done their job they would have seen Grigg wasn't a like for like replacement for Maja. Maja is the kind of player who can get a goal out of nothing where as Grigg is poacher who relies on good service. Our xG suggested we didn't create enough chances. Also, Grigg was out of form and injured. Our first bid was £250,000 and we ended up paying £3m because we panicked. Donald admitted he rang Chris Wilder asking if Sheff Utd were offloading any players and Tony Davison called in a favour at Spurs for Kaz Sterling.

It should be pointed out that Coton was the only scout at the club and he was sick at the time. So I'd imagine we never scouted any of our signings last January.
Interesting point about the XG. We’re now top of L1 in XG terms. Some turnaround from the days of dour Jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back