Greatest TOTP Performance Ever...

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Bowie and Starman has been mentioned but these would be the other 2 from my top 3.

It was a toss up between this and Suzi Quatro "Can The Can" but Alice won.

Remember watching this thinking it was one of the best things I'd seen while the rest of my family looked on in absolute horror! :lol:

good shout... most memorable totp appearances were usually artists or bands who turned up and were just that bit different (but still with a great song)
I always remember the the totp appearances by The Creatures (Siouxsie and Budgie from Banshees in early 80s) in that what they were doing was so different from Banshees
Also the live performance by Inspiral Carpets with their single I Want You, and Mark E Smith from The Fall turning up as extra vocalist and ensured chaos with audience was a good one!

that was brilliant

Just been humming this earlier. I always do whenever I see Louis Theroux as 'Is it you?' always pops into my head. Barmy, I know. :)

Nah we had Marc Bolan on our bedroom wall. My sister got a 3 part pull out life size poster of him from Jackie magazine. First week, his legs, then his middle and lastly his head. He must have been about 3 foot 6!

I had that poster too! And a three part one of Donny Osmond. My mam hated going in my room as she said the eyes on the posters used to watch her.

Aren't they all miming?

depends... as a general rule they had times (not all the time though) that solo singers and boy/girl bands without instruments would indeed mime , but some artists would insist on playing live (New Order on their first ever totp appearance shouldn't have - sorry Barney! ;))… then you had the likes of Tori Amos (solo artist) and her piano in early 90's: blew everyone away and only needed one take! :cool: … but that gets countered by likes of Elvis Costello who goes live but then has to re sing or play virtually every segment to later get edited together to make out he is a decent performer... like previously mentioned inspirals/Mark E Smith joining in on extra vocals was live and amazing... same can be said from Siouxsie & The Banshees when they did a live stint because Siouxsie was intimidating and Budgie was a brilliant live drummer... there are plenty of bizarre miming appearances out there but the worst at that, because miming is so difficult! :rolleyes: were 2 unlimited (probably because just like Mini Vanilli (sp?) they never wrote or sang on their own so called hits)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back