Greatest TOTP Performance Ever...

not sure this one by Sex Pistols even counts? 20 or 30 years after its initial release date? - My guess is its from totp2 as some kind of homage to their 70's release? (Rotten looks like a bloke in his 40s or 50s pretending to still be a teenager?!) :lol:

Surely a so called best ever totp appearance has to be live and at time? ... unexpected, or shocking, or unusual, while being impressive?

This has to be up there...it has everything - a decent song, decent birds, furs, feathers, dancing...

Very groovey lyrics too. They seemed to sum up the growing crisis within Russia and the Romanov dynasty and the socio-economic problems suffered by the masses that propelled them towards the implementation of a Marxist Leninist state
Ra ra Rasputin
Lover of the Russian queen
There was a cat that really was gone
Ra ra Rasputin
Russia's greatest love machine
It was a shame how he carried on

Roxy Music - Virginia Plain loved it so different at the time !

good shout... most memorable totp appearances were usually artists or bands who turned up and were just that bit different (but still with a great song)
I always remember the the totp appearances by The Creatures (Siouxsie and Budgie from Banshees in early 80s) in that what they were doing was so different from Banshees
Also the live performance by Inspiral Carpets with their single I Want You, and Mark E Smith from The Fall turning up as extra vocalist and ensured chaos with audience was a good one!

not sure this one by Sex Pistols even counts? 20 or 30 years after its initial release date? - My guess is its from totp2 as some kind of homage to their 70's release? (Rotten looks like a bloke in his 40s or 50s pretending to still be a teenager?!) :lol:

Surely a so called best ever totp appearance has to be live and at time? ... unexpected, or shocking, or unusual, while being impressive?
It was a live TOTP's appearance in 1996, Not TOTP's 2. Lydon was 40

That Cameo vid man. Shame it jumps around but has to be up their for the cod piece alone :lol:
f***ing brilliant. Went to Manchester Apollo tomsee them on that tour in Summer 86 and have seen them loads of times since ... and Larry Blackmon ALWAYS wears the codpiece!

CBA to find links but a few gooduns from memory -

Anything from Gary Glitter’s heyday
Mud doing Tiger Feet with their roadies as back up ‘dancers’
The Jam doing ‘In The City’ which started it all for me, then later appearing twice on the same show
Japan doing ‘Ghosts’
Bauhaus absolutely taking the piss

Last edited:

Back