Great catchy drumming top 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Cure's drummer is f***ing unreal.

When I worked for EMI Studios at Olympic and Abbey Road, The Cure hired out all three of Olympic's main studios for three months to record their album The Cure.

For the duration of that three months, the drummer had his (very expensive) kit set up down in Studio 2 so that he could practice every day. Jesus that guy can play! The stuff he practices along to is so complicated and impressive it made me wonder why his drum parts on The Cure's stuff is so simplistic in comparison.

Absolutely blew me away watching him practice. One of the best rock/pop drummers I've ever seen.
do you mean jason cooper?

do you mean jason cooper?

Yep, that's the feller.

Simon Gallup was a top bloke as well. Had a few beers with him in The Red Lion round the corner from the studio. Proper down to earth.

Somebody said (I am remembering this from a long time ago so not sure of the details) that the live drummer had an altercation with security staff at a gig and ended up getting fired because of it ?

No idea about that I'm afraid. My knowledge of them is limited pretty much to their time in the studio while I worked there.

jealous as f--k ;)

It was a weird session, that one. They had two different production teams doing a "produce-off" against each other to decide which producer's version of the album they were going to use.

In Studio 1 they had Ross Robinson and Steve Albini, then in Studio 3 they had Mike Frazer. Two very different but very successful production teams hired for three months each.

Must have cost them an absolute f***ing fortune.

Individually, the three studios would cost £1500, £1200 and £1000 per day to hire out. Presumably they got a block booking deal so that they didn't have to pay the full £330,000 it would have cost to hire the three studios out at the standard rate.

In the end they preferred Ross Robinson's version of the album, so Mike Frazer's version of the album was binned while Robinson's was used as the release version.

Catchy ? Strange term for drumming

Great to watch but not a good time keeper apparently,Copeland the same.To me as long as your bass man is with you you can go with it

Used to lash the beginning of Tommy gun out with my pens a lot at work

Last edited:
This fella was canny when I took my Daughter to see Halestorm a couple of years ago, did something similar to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back