Grayson leaps to defence of under fire stopper Jason Steele

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simon Grayson has defended his struggling goalkeepers after more criticism of summer signing Jason Steele. Steele began the season as No 1 despite a torrid home debut in the friendly defeat to Celtic, before a superb Carabao Cup display from Robbin Ruiter seemed to signal a changing of the guard.

Grayson sprung a surprise by recalling Steele for the 5-2 defeat to Ipswich Town and his subsequent performances have come under scrutiny. The Black Cats boss defended his display against QPR despite a soft first goal which saw the 27-year-old rooted to his line as Idrissa Sylla headed home. Grayson said: “I think the goalkeepers have had a bit of a hard time.

“They’ve made mistakes, of course they have, but it’s not easy for them out there. “It was very blustery at the weekend, and that can make it hard in certain areas with your kicking, but I thought Jason did make some good saves.

“There was one late on in the game that when you see it from behind, it takes a massive swerve.

“It was in the last four minutes, and while most people might have thought he would catch it, it took a massive swerve at the last second and he did well to get anything on it. I think he made some vital saves for us when they were needed, and I think Jason can be pleased with his performance.”

Ruiter will be pushing for a recall against Brentford but Grayson says he is looking for improvement from both of his goalkeepers.

He said: “Does he need to improve? Of course he does. But does every other player need to improve too? Of course they do. “We need to get B pluses or A minuses to get to where we want to get to.”
Yep Simon. More arse covering excuses.

Jesus Christ he's a f***ing tit isn't he. He's got to be trying to protect them or inflate their confidence. Because that is the most small time shit I've ever heard. 'It's windy' 'he made some good saves' fuck me man, it's windy for every goalkeeper in the country. Does our manager really not understand that goalkeepers are judged by how many they concede. It doesn't matter if he makes 1000 world class saves if we still get beaten 5.2.

He’s shocking. We all knew it before he signed however Grayson can’t come out and berate the lad. The players are on rock bottom....not sure where we go from here?!?

Simon Grayson has defended his struggling goalkeepers after more criticism of summer signing Jason Steele. Steele began the season as No 1 despite a torrid home debut in the friendly defeat to Celtic, before a superb Carabao Cup display from Robbin Ruiter seemed to signal a changing of the guard.

Grayson sprung a surprise by recalling Steele for the 5-2 defeat to Ipswich Town and his subsequent performances have come under scrutiny. The Black Cats boss defended his display against QPR despite a soft first goal which saw the 27-year-old rooted to his line as Idrissa Sylla headed home. Grayson said: “I think the goalkeepers have had a bit of a hard time.

“They’ve made mistakes, of course they have, but it’s not easy for them out there. “It was very blustery at the weekend, and that can make it hard in certain areas with your kicking, but I thought Jason did make some good saves.

“There was one late on in the game that when you see it from behind, it takes a massive swerve.

“It was in the last four minutes, and while most people might have thought he would catch it, it took a massive swerve at the last second and he did well to get anything on it. I think he made some vital saves for us when they were needed, and I think Jason can be pleased with his performance.”

Ruiter will be pushing for a recall against Brentford but Grayson says he is looking for improvement from both of his goalkeepers.

He said: “Does he need to improve? Of course he does. But does every other player need to improve too? Of course they do. “We need to get B pluses or A minuses to get to where we want to get to.”
Its not that he needs to improve, its just that no matter what SG does, Steele will be still rank bad. If the lad cant play the game now, he never will.

He is horrific. It looks like they’ve asked a lad from the crowd to play in goal. Every time there’s a shot on target you think it’s going in.

Why are people outraged at SG leaping to the defence of a keeper he signed?
I'm surprised no-one has made the obvious comment...

If SG leaps to Steele's defence, he'd probably miss it.

Why are people outraged at SG leaping to the defence of a keeper he signed?
I'm surprised no-one has made the obvious comment...

If SG leaps to Steele's defence, he'd probably miss it.
It’s default setting mate.

Outraged at absolutely everything SAFC. Perhaps they should take up angling as less traumatic and relaxing.

He’s shocking. We all knew it before he signed however Grayson can’t come out and berate the lad. The players are on rock bottom....not sure where we go from here?!?

I knew he was shite when my mate who went to school with him said he was shite when a youngster too.

Not exactly shocking that a "blustery" conditions hit Wearside on Saturday; or that hurricane f***ing Ophelia is all over the news. You mental Yorkshire twonk,
I'm guessing the wind force kept invisible Jase pinned to his line and the QPR attackers were blown there?

Was that at training today scared of the football. Must be tough for the lad.

in footballing years he is meant to be approaching the pinnacle of his career yet he finds midfield too demanding???
he was scared to tackle or even get too close to another player so how the hell he thinks he is 'mentally better suited' to a defensive role has me beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back