Grayson leaps to defence of under fire stopper Jason Steele

Status
Not open for further replies.

All the stuff that comes out of the club about going after the right player and we sign Steele from a team that was relegated last season proves the people in charge havent learned anything from the last five years. It is almost as if we have gone for League One a year early...

I genuinely think Steele has a problem seeing properly.
You could be right. I used to play in goal and I was always only average at best,but in me mid twenties I started to lose the ball just before it would hit me hands or body. Making it f***ing impossible to catch properly. Wouldn’t care got me eyes checked and they are actually spot on.
Slightly more worrying for a professional though is that and the fact he’s f***ing hopeless at nearly all other aspects of keeping too,which makes me think he should consider a career change!

You could be right. I used to play in goal and I was always only average at best,but in me mid twenties I started to lose the ball just before it would hit me hands or body. Making it f***ing impossible to catch properly. Wouldn’t care got me eyes checked and they are actually spot on.
Slightly more worrying for a professional though is that and the fact he’s f***ing hopeless at nearly all other aspects of keeping too,which makes me think he should consider a career change!
Even worse.. I think it's a well known fact among footballers that Steele can't see for shit, meaning they'll take long-shots just for the sake of it.

He's a liability imo.

Simon Grayson has defended his struggling goalkeepers after more criticism of summer signing Jason Steele. Steele began the season as No 1 despite a torrid home debut in the friendly defeat to Celtic, before a superb Carabao Cup display from Robbin Ruiter seemed to signal a changing of the guard.

Grayson sprung a surprise by recalling Steele for the 5-2 defeat to Ipswich Town and his subsequent performances have come under scrutiny. The Black Cats boss defended his display against QPR despite a soft first goal which saw the 27-year-old rooted to his line as Idrissa Sylla headed home. Grayson said: “I think the goalkeepers have had a bit of a hard time.

“They’ve made mistakes, of course they have, but it’s not easy for them out there. “It was very blustery at the weekend, and that can make it hard in certain areas with your kicking, but I thought Jason did make some good saves.

“There was one late on in the game that when you see it from behind, it takes a massive swerve.

“It was in the last four minutes, and while most people might have thought he would catch it, it took a massive swerve at the last second and he did well to get anything on it. I think he made some vital saves for us when they were needed, and I think Jason can be pleased with his performance.”

Ruiter will be pushing for a recall against Brentford but Grayson says he is looking for improvement from both of his goalkeepers.

He said: “Does he need to improve? Of course he does. But does every other player need to improve too? Of course they do. “We need to get B pluses or A minuses to get to where we want to get to.”

Basically he is saying he is dropped for the next game, but not cos he is shite.
Standard management, but go ahead and wet your knickers girls.

Not defending Steele btw, he is atrocious.

I honestly believe that Steele gets picked ahead of Ruiter because he kicks the ball further, which appears to be a core component of our game plan: hoof it at a main striker who isn't a traditional target man and look perplexed when their CBs win everything, all day long.

Ruiter's no better (or worse), despite the love in for him on here in the summer, and everyone on here making their mind up about Steele before having seen him play.

They're both shit.

As for Grayson's comments, it's funny he is getting pelters for them. In the summer, people liked his positivity when he was saying similar, the only difference being results.

It's almost as if comments that managers make in press conferences are pretty much irrelevant and the reason we got relegated last season wasn't down to Moyes' comments in a press conference after all.

Grayson has massively backed himself into a corner with the GK situation. Ruiter wasn't brilliant but in his last game against Cardiff both the goals weren't his fault. He then drops him only for Steele to let 5 in in his first game back. So what's he going to do keep dropping the GK every other game?

I'm sick of him giving them GCSE ratings for performances. I'm even more sick of him giving them all C grades which is a pass

I honestly don't think I've ever seen a goalkeeper so bad at catching a f***ing football.

Or diving. Just seems to fall over like a sack of shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back