Govt Treasurey Dept Relocating To Newcastle? Sunderland ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cobalt and Silverlink aren’t in Newcastle .

Minor point of order like, but still.

Cobalt is a major out of town centre of employment, good mix of private and public sector. It’s still absolutely f***ing shit round there after many years :lol:
Sage are moving there soon from Great Park. There’s another building being converted to an 80 room hotel. Still loads of empty units but think that will be changing in the next couple of years.

Cobalt is a major out of town centre of employment, good mix of private and public sector. It’s still absolutely f***ing shit round there after many years :lol:

Its just cheap office accommodation with lots of parking, adding little to the area or centres. Ideally this, doxford international etc would all be in city centres. If they were they would be at capacity and in turn smaller town / village centres would pick up the rest. At which point public transport between centres would make sense.

I agree, which is why I worded it as Newcastle benefits from, not Newcastle has ;)

Aye mebbies. It depends on which City you can sell better to staff who might have to relocate

Agreed, I picked that up in the article. I’d think Durham would be quite impressive for someone outside the area. I also imagine Durham is cheaper to rent than Newcastle.

I can't help but think this is more about lower wages outside London rather than genuine levelling up.

But jobs are jobs and not to be sniffed at.
I think it’s both. Costs and salaries in London are insane, if the taxpayer gets a better deal from a relocation and NE people get the chance at high skilled employment both are good things

Looks like Sunderland hasn’t put it’s name in the hat for this one, but would have been a great candidate as the city is improving all the time........the north east renaissance centre 😎

What’s is there to attract high end CS jobs to the city centre, not even going to have a Debenhams. Just see all the Grade 7’s in their Primark workwear, still there are a plethora of executive houses available to move into as long as you like overlooking car parks. My bet is on Darlo. It’s the place to be atm. Would be better to turn the whole city centre into housing, leave other neighbours to achieve job creation projects cos we are simply pants at it. Economic development if you can wait 100 years.

Think about it. This won't go somewhere that benefits the Labour Party. Sunderland has three Labour MPs and a Labour council. Sunderland is safe Labour territory even in a year when the Tories make historic gains.

Labour's continued leadership of Durham County Council is vulnerable, and the Tories need to shore up three new seats in County Durham. If this goes anywhere in the NE, it'll go where benefits the Conservative Party the most.

No councillor is going to have any say where this goes. No council is going to have any say. This will go where the Conservative Party want it to go, based on what benefits them. Sunderland could have a vacant site that would be perfect...and it would go there, if the council wasn't red.

So is Newcastle by that measure.ookibg like Bishop Auckland or Blyth Valley then!!

What’s is there to attract high end CS jobs to the city centre, not even going to have a Debenhams. Just see all the Grade 7’s in their Primark workwear, still there are a plethora of executive houses available to move into as long as you like overlooking car parks. My bet is on Darlo. It’s the place to be atm. Would be better to turn the whole city centre into housing, leave other neighbours to achieve job creation projects cos we are simply pants at it. Economic development if you can wait 100 years.
Neither is Newcastle, Leeds, London etc.

Worked for HMRC and HM Treasury for 14 years. This needs to be in Longbenton with HMRC as the 2 are so closely entwined.

No sense at all in it being on Teesside. Leeds is all DWP. It it wasn’t Newcastle then Sunderland would make more sense than the other options.

No case for Durham as it’s full of toothless huckles.

Out of the two it should be Leeds or Newcastle. Hopefully it’ll be Newcastle for selfish reasons. OP is starting to come across as a potential mag mind.
Why Leeds
It seems to get enough investment like this
I don't see what people see in Leeds
It's got a few nice buildings and arcades but riverside is Shite and it looks tatty too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back