Govt Treasurey Dept Relocating To Newcastle? Sunderland ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Needs a national rail line to London in case they have to relocate staff so Newcastle is much more likely. Plus its a more appealing prospect that Sunderland lets be honest

The sticks will always be the sticks unless someone puts something there that makes people go there.

There's no real right or wrong answer here besides making sure it doesn't end up just serving Newcastle and North Tyneside to the detriment of the rest of the region, IMO.

Yeah I know what you mean but high streets are dying and we need some way to make them sustainable. Stick the 750 people in the centre of Darlington or Hartlepool but not on an out of town business park. The same is true for retail try and stop locating it out of town and create footfall in city and town centres, IMO.

Needs a national rail line to London in case they have to relocate staff so Newcastle is much more likely. Plus its a more appealing prospect that Sunderland lets be honest

Or Durham. Milburngate it a prime development site for it as well.

Good shout about Houchen, I believe the mayor election is due soon. The mayor of Boro is also supporting it. Be interesting to see who gets it, anywhere in the region but Newcastle would be a bonus

I'm sure I saw somewhere Houchen was pushing to get it plonked down by the Airport.
Meanwhile both Boro and Stockton had their HMRC offices shut down.

Yeah I know what you mean but high streets are dying and we need some way to make them sustainable. Stick the 750 people in the centre of Darlington or Hartlepool but not on an out of town business park. The same is true for retail try and stop locating it out of town and create footfall in city and town centres, IMO.

You're right they are. There are numerous places that need backing up and this can only support one of them. Be that a town or a city, or a high street or an out of town place situated between a few towns. They all need help in some way.

If it comes to the NE it needs to not be in Newcastle. Newcastle already benefits from Cobalt, Silverlink and Longbenton.

There are loads of places in the NE that could benefit from this. Newcastle has more than its fair share and always has had.

Agree with this especially given the move to 11 regional centres for gov. Departments such as HMRC.

Stockton HMRC has already suffered due to this and has closed / relocated staff to closer offices. Peterlee apparently to be closed by 2023.

Definately NEEDS to be somewhere else.

Stockton HMRC has already suffered due to this and has closed / relocated staff to closer offices. Peterlee apparently to be closed by 2023.

Plan was to send them to Waterview and move them to Benton eventually, not sure if that's changed, there was something about looking for a new site nearby just as I left them.

Agree with this especially given the move to 11 regional centres for gov. Departments such as HMRC.

Definately NEEDS to be somewhere else.

I think the issue is this little snippet in the article

It has been reported that cities like Newcastle and Leeds could have the edge over areas like Teesside as Treasury officials believe it will be easier to persuade officials to re-locate there.

I’ll doesn’t sound like it will be Teesside, though nothing would amaze me it going there bearing in mind it’s mayor.

It does mention a campus which doesn’t suggest it’s a single building so unsure which city centre sites (Leeds / Newcastle) could offer that.

I think the issue is this little snippet in the article

It has been reported that cities like Newcastle and Leeds could have the edge over areas like Teesside as Treasury officials believe it will be easier to persuade officials to re-locate there.

I’ll doesn’t sound like it will be Teesside, though nothing would amaze me it going there bearing in mind it’s mayor.

It does mention a campus which doesn’t suggest it’s a single building so unsure which city centre sites (Leeds / Newcastle) could offer that.

Need to stop centralising these regional hubs IMHO.

plenty of low income / working class families can't afford to live within these areas and don't have the means / ability to travel there. Not to mention you could argue this demographic are already at a disadvantage when it comes to applications.

Regardless of where it is, it needs to be somewhere that is easily accessible by local transport links.

Need to stop centralising these regional hubs IMHO.

plenty of low income / working class families can't afford to live within these areas and don't have the means / ability to travel there. Not to mention you could argue this demographic are already at a disadvantage when it comes to applications.

Regardless of where it is, it needs to be somewhere that is easily accessible by local transport links.

It sounds like they are relocating key officials which may be the sticking point, so not all new jobs.

The benefit of centralising these facilities is that it gives greater rationale for better public transfer and easier for the many to get to rather than the few.

If it comes to the NE it needs to not be in Newcastle. Newcastle already benefits from Cobalt, Silverlink and Longbenton.

There are loads of places in the NE that could benefit from this. Newcastle has more than its fair share and always has had.

Cobalt and Silverlink aren’t in Newcastle .

Minor point of order like, but still.
The sticks will always be the sticks unless someone puts something there that makes people go there.

There's no real right or wrong answer here besides making sure it doesn't end up just serving Newcastle and North Tyneside to the detriment of the rest of the region, IMO.

Cobalt is a major out of town centre of employment, good mix of private and public sector. It’s still absolutely f***ing shit round there after many years :lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back