Govia Thameslink fined £1m over Gatwick Express window death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aituk7

Striker
Train window death firm fined £1m

A rail firm has been fined £1m after a man died leaning out of a train window.

Simon Brown, 24, was killed when he hit his head on a steel gantry on the side of the track while on the Gatwick Express in London in August 2016.

Surely I can't be the only one who thinks this is absolute bollocks?

I mean I'm really sorry for his loved ones but there needs to be a level of personal responsibility.

Putting your head out of any window is taking a risk that something outside that window might hit you.

He put his head outside the window of a moving train... I mean you could easy do that in a car. Do we need stickers on car windows as well now saying things outside this window might hit you?

Absolutely f***ing ridiculous to punish a train company for a person being an idiot.

Definitely worth a posthumous Darwin Award

In May, Govia Thameslink Railway admitted a health and safety breach because a sign saying not to lean out was not displayed clearly enough.

Seems reasonable to me. They didn’t follow the H&S guidance. If they had, they wouldn’t have been fined.

In May, Govia Thameslink Railway admitted a health and safety breach because a sign saying not to lean out was not displayed clearly enough.

Seems reasonable to me. They didn’t follow the H&S guidance. If they had, they wouldn’t have been fined.

Surely there has to be a level of common sense here.
It's a city train. It's not the Jacobite going over Glenfinnan Viaduct FFS.

"Mr Brown, from East Grinstead, West Sussex, had been previously described by friends as a life-long railway fanatic who was working in the rail industry."

He must become the patron saint of all trainspotters now surely.

Surely there has to be a level of common sense here.
It's a city train. It's not the Jacobite going over Glenfinnan Viaduct FFS.
It was going 61 mph.

Who the fuck puts their head out the window of a moving vehicle at 61mph!

......other than him obv:lol:

Surprised they admitted guilt tbh.

From the picture on the BBC website, I wouldn't say the stickers were 'cluttered'
Neither would I. It's not their fault they have a fuck tonne of stickers to put up in the first place.

Might aswell throw up a if hot take off jacket, drink water sign aswell.

If hungry, don't eat the seats, eat a sandwich

Last edited:
It was going 61 mph.

Who the fuck puts their head out the window of a moving vehicle at 61mph!

......other than him obv

Neither would I. It's not their fault they have a fuck tonne of stickers to put up in the first place.

Might aswell throw up a if hot take off jacket, drink water sign aswell.

If hungry, don't eat the seats, eat a sandwich
Vyvyn

That's the end of them windows then. They will be fixed shut in light of this guaranteed.

Shame cos it's class sticking yer heed oot a train window like.

Definitely had a rush of blood. Lost his head there I think
Bit of a nutter tbh.

Probably just wanted to make himself go a bit light headed.

He can't have been that much of an enthusiast if he didn't know sticking his head out the window was dangerous.
The amount of times he'll have had a go at people telling them not to step over the yellow line aswell....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back