Got a massive pan of broth bubbling away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Both.

And for gannin' round sniffing awld people's houses.
:lol:

Northumbrian broth differs from its Scottish cousin – Scotch broth usually contains barley and mutton, whereas Northumbrian broth has no barley and has ham instead .
recipe doesn’t really call for exact measurements (judge by eye), but here’s a rough guesstimate at what goes into the pot. The result is a thick, hearty soup that warms you up on cold days. this broth smells of October –

Slow Cooker Northumbrian Broth
Serves: 6 – 8
Prep time: 15-45 minutes
Cooking time: 5+ hours

Ingredients:
200g split red lentils
200g split yellow peas
1/2 large swede
5 large carrots
1 large leek
gammon/ham hock.
2-4 ham stock cubes (depending on personal tastes)
Enough water to cover all ingredients

* the old recipes call for a ham bone, but they’re difficult to come by these days!

You can make a vegetarian version by omitting the meat and using vegetable stock cubes (my sister does this and it’s still very tasty!)

Directions:

1. Chop the carrots and swede

2. Slice the leek

3. boil gammon / ham hock for 2 hours. Use stock to cook veg in.

4. Put the veg, meat, split yellow peas and lentils in the slow cooker and mix them up or boil in ham stock

5. Add enough water to just cover all ingredients

6. Crumble in the stock cubes (I use four because I like a good, strong flavour, but if you like it a little more subtle, use fewer stock cubes) and stir into mixture

7. Put the lid on the slow cooker (or pan) and set to medium

8. Leave for a minimum of 5 hours (I put it on at about 10am and leave it on till dinner time!)

9. Serve hot with loads of crusty bread
You want the split yellow peas and lentils to go really quite mushy, hence the long cooking time – this makes the soup lovely and thick. Second-day broth is even better than freshly made (and will keep for several days in the fridge) and it also freezes very well.

Also I add butternut squash, celery and onions. Blitz with blender then add the the cooked gammon bits in near the end.

Tip is to make loads , freeze whats left.
That's fairly similar to what I do. It's not an exact science so each one is slightly different. I use gammon & barley so it's probably a hybrid according to the above, but these things are always organic beasties and just evolve depending on what's around.

I seep the gammon overnight in a pan of cod water to try and leech some of the salt and nitrites out and also soak the lentils & split peas, changing water and rinsing few times.

When boiling the gammon I throw in a coupe of cloves and bay leaves to give it a nice base flavour. For the broth itself I also usually peel and dice a few potatoes and throw in to the mix then it's just low & slow bubbling away. I use the gas hob but a slow cooker would be equally good. I like to leave the lid of the stock pot and add a swish more water which gives a really thick gloopy feel to the broth.

Last edited:
Has anyone mentioned eye of newt and toe of frog ... or Wool of bat, and tongue of dog, Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting, Lizard's leg, and howlet's wing?

Our local club used to put a pan of broth on the bar on a Sunday to help yourself. Those were the good old days.
Broth is probably a safe bet, I am always a bit wary of freebie bar snacks, cheese, black pudding and roast potatoes etc. Some reet filthy feckers and bollock scratchers kicking about.

If I had to be picky @Flared Hicks id say you’ve diced your veg a bit too small. Should be at least double that size imho.

Good effort though.

Anyone that doesn’t like a nice pan of broth of a winters night hasn’t been brought up right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back