Got a massive pan of broth bubbling away

The bread was immense man.

Keeeerrrrrrrruuuuunnnncchhhhh!!!! Mega chuffed with that crust, I reckon it’s the best I’ve made. Probably helped that I took longer than planned at Aldi so it had loads of time to prove.
Sounds nice but would have been even more delicious with a bit f***ing dumplin dumped on top man!! FFS!!

Northumbrian broth differs from its Scottish cousin – Scotch broth usually contains barley and mutton, whereas Northumbrian broth has no barley and has ham instead .
recipe doesn’t really call for exact measurements (judge by eye), but here’s a rough guesstimate at what goes into the pot. The result is a thick, hearty soup that warms you up on cold days. this broth smells of October –

Slow Cooker Northumbrian Broth
Serves: 6 – 8
Prep time: 15-45 minutes
Cooking time: 5+ hours

Ingredients:
200g split red lentils
200g split yellow peas
1/2 large swede
5 large carrots
1 large leek
gammon/ham hock.
2-4 ham stock cubes (depending on personal tastes)
Enough water to cover all ingredients

* the old recipes call for a ham bone, but they’re difficult to come by these days!

You can make a vegetarian version by omitting the meat and using vegetable stock cubes (my sister does this and it’s still very tasty!)

Directions:

1. Chop the carrots and swede

2. Slice the leek

3. boil gammon / ham hock for 2 hours. Use stock to cook veg in.

4. Put the veg, meat, split yellow peas and lentils in the slow cooker and mix them up or boil in ham stock

5. Add enough water to just cover all ingredients

6. Crumble in the stock cubes (I use four because I like a good, strong flavour, but if you like it a little more subtle, use fewer stock cubes) and stir into mixture

7. Put the lid on the slow cooker (or pan) and set to medium

8. Leave for a minimum of 5 hours (I put it on at about 10am and leave it on till dinner time!)

9. Serve hot with loads of crusty bread
You want the split yellow peas and lentils to go really quite mushy, hence the long cooking time – this makes the soup lovely and thick. Second-day broth is even better than freshly made (and will keep for several days in the fridge) and it also freezes very well.

Also I add butternut squash, celery and onions. Blitz with blender then add the the cooked gammon bits in near the end.

Tip is to make loads , freeze whats left.

I want the bread recipe..
Pretty standard mix but it’s all in the bake.

500g seeded wholemeal flour
290 ml tepid water
7g pack of yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp oil (I used olive)

It even works ok with bread mixes, it’s more the method underneath which is key.

Mix the dry ingredients in food mixer with dough hook. Dissolve sugar in jug of water, stir in yeast and leave to activate for a few minutes (goes slightly frothy).

Put mixer on low speed and slowly pour in yeast solution. Add oil and mix till all ingredients are combined then leave to stand for 5 minutes.

Mix on medium speed for 6-7 minutes till dough goes “slappy”. Take out of bowl and continue to knead by hand till dough is holding well and can be stretched without tearing.

Put dough in oiled bowl, cover with cling film (or a shower cap) and leave to rise in a warm location for about 45 minutes and is doubled in size. My oven has a proving setting at 40 degrees which seems to work well.

Scrape dough out and punch out any gas bubbles then pull the ends into the centre to form a ball. Cup the dough ball with your hands turning slightly each time to tighten the surface. This really helps the crust form.

Put into a lightly floured banetton, a wood pulp proving bowl, and leave to prove a second time. This is when I went to Aldi but you can do other things while the dough rises a 2nd time, again 45-60 minutes till it has again doubled in size.

Put the oven on the highest possible setting. I put the cloche in at this time but a big casserole dish with lid could also work. When the oven gets up to temperature take the loaf out and with a sharp knife or razor cut some deep slices across the surface. This helps the dough “spring” or get a final rise when put in the oven. It also helps create a good crust as it allows steam to escape the dough.

Put the dough in the cloche or casserole dish and cover. Put in the oven and turn the temperature down to 210 degrees. Bake for 25 minutes, uncover and bake for 10 more minutes to caramelise the crust.

Tap the bottom of the loaf. If it sounds hollow take out and put on a grill wire to cool. If it doesn’t sound hollow cook for a further 5 minutes and test again.

It does take a few goes to get right but is worth persevering.

There are quite a few websites on baking and it’s all trial & error but when you get it right it’s like nothing else. Probably the only thing that comes close is Sunderland winning 0-3 at Chelsea.

Good luck.

Northumbrian broth differs from its Scottish cousin – Scotch broth usually contains barley and mutton, whereas Northumbrian broth has no barley and has ham instead .
recipe doesn’t really call for exact measurements (judge by eye), but here’s a rough guesstimate at what goes into the pot. The result is a thick, hearty soup that warms you up on cold days. this broth smells of October –

Slow Cooker Northumbrian Broth
Serves: 6 – 8
Prep time: 15-45 minutes
Cooking time: 5+ hours

Ingredients:
200g split red lentils
200g split yellow peas
1/2 large swede
5 large carrots
1 large leek
gammon/ham hock.
2-4 ham stock cubes (depending on personal tastes)
Enough water to cover all ingredients

* the old recipes call for a ham bone, but they’re difficult to come by these days!

You can make a vegetarian version by omitting the meat and using vegetable stock cubes (my sister does this and it’s still very tasty!)

Directions:

1. Chop the carrots and swede

2. Slice the leek

3. boil gammon / ham hock for 2 hours. Use stock to cook veg in.

4. Put the veg, meat, split yellow peas and lentils in the slow cooker and mix them up or boil in ham stock

5. Add enough water to just cover all ingredients

6. Crumble in the stock cubes (I use four because I like a good, strong flavour, but if you like it a little more subtle, use fewer stock cubes) and stir into mixture

7. Put the lid on the slow cooker (or pan) and set to medium

8. Leave for a minimum of 5 hours (I put it on at about 10am and leave it on till dinner time!)

9. Serve hot with loads of crusty bread
You want the split yellow peas and lentils to go really quite mushy, hence the long cooking time – this makes the soup lovely and thick. Second-day broth is even better than freshly made (and will keep for several days in the fridge) and it also freezes very well.

Also I add butternut squash, celery and onions. Blitz with blender then add the the cooked gammon bits in near the end.

Tip is to make loads , freeze whats left.
This is Scottish soup man. Get it in all the pubs.

Logon or register to see this image

Back