Google Maps "Shaming" Fatties

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think a lot of people would be surprised if they did start labelling food stuffs that way.

Not that the fatties would care like, they must know a Gregg's cheese and onion pasty isn't exactly good for you but they still stuff them down their necks

Agreed. I've always been a sporty person, who had some idea of calories and food, but it was only really when I started using MyFitnessPal that I began to realise just how many calories were actually in things. Like, I knew cheese was relatively calorific, but I hadn't quite grasped that an average sized chunk of cheese that I would regularly hack off and just eat was actually the equivalent of a Mars Bar. I think it is important for people to know this kind of thing. It's equally important to know that you actually have to do quite a lot of exercise to burn it off.

But the problem these days is that a lot of people who are fat don't want to know. They want to live in denial, and any attempt to point out facts is decried as "fat shaming". It's completely wrong to shame someone for being fat, but you have to be honest about it. Being overweight is the same as drinking alcohol - it's fine if you choose to do it, but let's not pretend it's f***ing healthy.

I think it's amazing that some sad nerd in California is probably being paid a fortune to think up an idea like this.

Agreed. I've always been a sporty person, who had some idea of calories and food, but it was only really when I started using MyFitnessPal that I began to realise just how many calories were actually in things. Like, I knew cheese was relatively calorific, but I hadn't quite grasped that an average sized chunk of cheese that I would regularly hack off and just eat was actually the equivalent of a Mars Bar. I think it is important for people to know this kind of thing. It's equally important to know that you actually have to do quite a lot of exercise to burn it off.

But the problem these days is that a lot of people who are fat don't want to know. They want to live in denial, and any attempt to point out facts is decried as "fat shaming". It's completely wrong to shame someone for being fat, but you have to be honest about it. Being overweight is the same as drinking alcohol - it's fine if you choose to do it, but let's not pretend it's f***ing healthy.
I would totally agree if not for the last bit. Being overweight isn't the same as drinking alcohol. The odd glass of wine isn't causing a strain on the nhs. We were debating being obese. It's obesity that is the problem.
That aside I agree completely, I don't think the majority of the public are aware of the calorific value and the effort it takes to burn it off.

Unfortunately, as you say, a lot wouldn't care anyway.

Last edited:
That works for people who want to lose weight. If you said this burns .... calories, it doesn't make much sense to many people. If you convert it into their favourite treat and say this exercise burns off a glass of wine/Mars bar/packet of crisps, then it helps motivate them both for exercise and to give up eating/drinking as much crap.

Ridiculous over-reaction.
I think they'd rather think that they've burned last nights glasses of wine, so can drink that equivalent again for free!

I think they'd rather think that they've burned last nights glasses of wine, so can drink that equivalent again for free!

Oh that annoys me so much on Facebook. A week of #cleaneating healthy tea pictures and #smashingit fitness classes statuses, then they have a "reward" on a weekend of takeaway and wine, then wonder why they never lost any weight this week :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back