Golf experts - iron shafts or graphite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FootballFan

Striker
My good ol wilson set has iron shafts on everything, but I was testing a driver with a graphite shaft and it was fantastic.

Are the graphites more forgiving?

Pros and cons?

Iron every time!

Bought some graphite shaft and were too whippy, the weight shite, etc.....Bought some Taylor Made steels and they're perfect.

I’m class with the irons.

I’ve a graphite driver and I’m shite with it.

Hope this helps.

I have a graphite driver and steel for everything else. I tried a graphite rescue iron and couldn't get away with it so opted for the Callaway steel 16 degree (2 iron) and it's much more forgiving.

graphite goes further?, would've thought iron would, but what do I know

More 'whip' but can be less accurate?

Driver, 3 & 5 woods graphite... Irons errrrrrm iron... My mates got fat shaft... ooooo errrrrr!

I have a graphite driver and steel for everything else. I tried a graphite rescue iron and couldn't get away with it so opted for the Callaway steel 16 degree (2 iron) and it's much more forgiving.

More 'whip' but can be less accurate?

how you getting on with the graphite driver?

My set is so old it has steel in all the "woods", do the pro's stick with steel out of interest?
Nope, pros will have graphite in the driver and woods, and hybrids and most all will play with steel in the irons down. Though Dechambeau uses a graphite putter shaft.

Golf shafts have come along way, I used to have steel shafts in my irons (still have my wedges irons shafted) but got fitted for a new set and now have graphite shafted irons. In fact my last two sets have been graphite shafted irons. Hit them just as well, they don't go any further or less in distance, and are not more whippy than the steel ones I had. Only difference these days are they tend to be more expensive.

You can get graphite shafts that meet the weight, flex and characteristics of irons shafts now so go get fitted and get what works for you, its as simple as that really.

BTW Wilson made a set that were half graphite and half steel.

Nope, pros will have graphite in the driver and woods, and hybrids and most all will play with steel in the irons down. Though Dechambeau uses a graphite putter shaft.

Golf shafts have come along way, I used to have steel shafts in my irons (still have my wedges irons shafted) but got fitted for a new set and now have graphite shafted irons. In fact my last two sets have been graphite shafted irons. Hit them just as well, they don't go any further or less in distance, and are not more whippy than the steel ones I had. Only difference these days are they tend to be more expensive.

You can get graphite shafts that meet the weight, flex and characteristics of irons shafts now so go get fitted and get what works for you, its as simple as that really.

BTW Wilson made a set that were half graphite and half steel.

Interesting, my Wilson set is ancient, I will probably upgrade the whole lot soon but just looking at the driver for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back