Golf 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just bought a Fossil Smartwatch Gen 5 with WearOs. Decent watch so far but does anyone have a good rangefinder/golf app that will work alongside my watch that they can recommend!?
I use GolfPad GPS, I don't have a smart watch, but I know it can be linked to one to show distances. I bought the NFC tags to go in my club grips as well, so shot tracking is easy by just tapping it against my phone.

Been spot on for me, quick glance at the phone and I've got the club recommendations (easy to switch off for comps) and distances to the green.

I'm pretty much bang on with my handicap almost every round. Yesterday for example the front 9 was good but then I ended up with 4 7s and 2 6s on the back 9 to finish level par. I walked off thinking I'd mucked it all up and it could have been amazing. I'm happy to take my handicap cuts but in the medals I'm always pretty much bang on handicap no matter what. During the week I can have some outrageous scores for a 24 tho.

you’d probably still get cut if it was in a comp with 4 7s on the card like

I'm pretty much bang on with my handicap almost every round. Yesterday for example the front 9 was good but then I ended up with 4 7s and 2 6s on the back 9 to finish level par. I walked off thinking I'd mucked it all up and it could have been amazing. I'm happy to take my handicap cuts but in the medals I'm always pretty much bang on handicap no matter what. During the week I can have some outrageous scores for a 24 tho.
That indicates that your handicap is too high as most golfers will only play to their handicap two or three times per year in comps and that is roughly how they should be determined.

That indicates that your handicap is too high as most golfers will only play to their handicap two or three times per year in comps and that is roughly how they should be determined.
I'd probably agree with my handicap being too high as I'm improving week on week. Surely your handicap is what you realistically should be scoring regularly tho I'd have thought ???

Definitely not. You should only be playing to your handicap 3/4 times a year.
Am I being a bit thick here but I always thought your handicap is what you should be averaging over the course of the year so for me 24 I should be looking to be around 24 ish each time I play. Last 10 rounds it's more like around 18 to 20 tbf.

Am I being a bit thick here but I always thought your handicap is what you should be averaging over the course of the year so for me 24 I should be looking to be around 24 ish each time I play. Last 10 rounds it's more like around 18 to 20 tbf.

Na, it's not meant to, as the others have said it's calculated to show what you can do on a good day. If you are interested you can read all about it on the CONGU website.

You will notice in competitions, on the results sheet there's a few people at the top who have shot below their handicap, then a few that have shot level, then loads who have not managed to play to their handicap.

I don't know the exact maths off the top of my head but if you are a 24 handicap you're expected to go round in maybe 28ish over usually.
If you are regularly going round in 24 over then your handicap should probably be around 19 or 20 at a guess.
The new World Handicap System that starts in November will calculate your handicap by averaging your best 8 scores from your last 20 games. So it will be slightly different but it will still be based on your better rounds and not every round.

Last edited:
Na, it's not meant to, as the others have said it's calculated to show what you can do on a good day. If you are interested you can read all about it on the CONGU website.

You will notice in competitions, on the results sheet there's a few people at the top who have shot below their handicap, then a few that have shot level, then loads who have not managed to play to their handicap.

I don't know the exact maths off the top of my head but if you are a 24 handicap you're expected to go round in maybe 28ish over usually.
If you are regularly going round in 24 over then your handicap should probably be around 19 or 20 at a guess.
The new World Handicap System that starts in November will calculate your handicap by averaging your best 8 scores from your last 20 games. So it will be slightly different but it will still be based on your better rounds and not every round.
I've just worked my average out of my best 8 scores out of 20. (all qualifiers) and it comes out at 3.75.. My current handicap is 4.3 so its not far away

Spuffs random courses no 167.

Anyone played Bird Hill, Maidenhead, graft permitting giving it a bash next week.

I'm lucky to have 2 purple patches a season and will break/play to my handicap a couple of times in each spell. The rest of the year I'm fighting to try and hit the buffer, mostly unsuccessfully.

Currently playing off 6, I'd guess my average comp score is 11 over. If my handicap was 11 I'd get lynched at my club.

Started to get back into playing again the last few months, but not been out on a course but back at the driving range.

With a change of job (hopefully) i'll get more chance to get out and play during the week.

Anyone recommend somewhere to buy some decent 2nd hand clubs? Ones i have currently were the same ones I was using 10 years ago when I was playing as a teenager :lol:

Started to get back into playing again the last few months, but not been out on a course but back at the driving range.

With a change of job (hopefully) i'll get more chance to get out and play during the week.

Anyone recommend somewhere to buy some decent 2nd hand clubs? Ones i have currently were the same ones I was using 10 years ago when I was playing as a teenager :lol:

Try Marshalls at Heworth....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back