Golf 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Out of interest did he say what the PB was rated at?

I managed to find all the ratings. Looks like PB has not been rated yet at Ramside.

From the ones I've checked Castle Eden ratings seem to be really high for some reason and I wouldn't class it is a particularly tough course.

Just done a quick check of Seaham versus Sharpley and according to the slope ratings Sharpley is the tougher of the two which just baffles me.

I managed to find all the ratings. Looks like PB has not been rated yet at Ramside.

From the ones I've checked Castle Eden ratings seem to be really high for some reason and I wouldn't class it is a particularly tough course.

Just done a quick check of Seaham versus Sharpley and according to the slope ratings Sharpley is the tougher of the two which just baffles me.
surely that cant be right.
what i dont understand is how can someone who doesnt even know the courses can rate the difficulty of a course

Why do you suspect this ? England Golf has attended each course to give it it’s rating .
Out of interest, and all these posts decrying the new system , does anyone think CONGU with the crazy buffer zone bollocks is any good ?
Miss buffers by one missed 3 foot putt on 18th
or
shoot 99
both get same .1
Bollocks

Last edited:
Why do you suspect this ? England Golf has attended each course to give it it’s rating .
Out of interest, and all these posts decrying the new system , does anyone think CONGU with the crazy buffer zone bollocks is any good ?
Miss buffers by one missed 3 foot putt on 18th
or
shoot 99
both get same .1
Bollocks
I'm not decrying the way the handicaps are now being worked out I'm just baffled by the course ratings.
Surely they can't work out these ratings just by having someone from England Golf attend the course? I'd like to think it had been based on previous years competition results and taking CSS into account. Even if they did use that method there is still flaws depending on how many competitions a club normally has and what format (for example, Seaham has comps on both Saturday and Sunday every week and at least one of these is normally and individual format but not always stroke play).

What I do hope is this takes away the ability of some of the local handicap committee dinosaurs to chop how they please under 'general play'. It happened this year on our captains day, lad playing off 10 won the day with a score of 40 points (2nd place was 38). Lad got butchered down to 6 handicap.

What I do hope is this takes away the ability of some of the local handicap committee dinosaurs to chop how they please under 'general play'. It happened this year on our captains day, lad playing off 10 won the day with a score of 40 points (2nd place was 38). Lad got butchered down to 6 handicap.
I’m no fan of CONGU , but it’s covered under exceptional scoring rules , Committees have no other powers .

I'm not decrying the way the handicaps are now being worked out I'm just baffled by the course ratings.
Surely they can't work out these ratings just by having someone from England Golf attend the course? I'd like to think it had been based on previous years competition results and taking CSS into account. Even if they did use that method there is still flaws depending on how many competitions a club normally has and what format (for example, Seaham has comps on both Saturday and Sunday every week and at least one of these is normally and individual format but not always stroke play).

I don't even think they have to attend the course, they do it from the scores of the golfers and a bit of maths.

Here's a quick Google sample -

Slope is a measure of a golf course's difficulty in a relative comparison of a scratch golfer to a bogey golfer (someone who shoots around 90 for 18 holes). It is always a number between 55 and 155, with 113 being the "standard" slope.

You calculate slope rating by finding the bogey rating, which is like the course rating, but measured for a bogey golfer. Then subtract the course rating from that figure. Then multiply that figure by 5.381 for men and 4.24 for women. Then round up to the nearest whole number.

Last edited:
Well looks like my course George washy is done for the winter for me. Just too wet now. Will try and get a round up sharpley over the winter now.

I would quit now while you're ahead.

Should've listened :lol: Tougher course (which I hadn't played before), it was busier which rushed me a bit and it was wet but 109 ffs. 51 on back 9 not too bad for me but 58 for front 9 is f***ing minging.

Gives me something to beat next time I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back