Going traveling - age

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do you work for Sky? (in software development)

That sounds exactly like a mate of mine. Used to work for Sky full time but now contracts on specific projects and then travels.
nope, he's infrastructure project management, mainly in finance companies.

he's got a couple of young kids & took them on a trip round south East Asia for a few months.

nope, he's infrastructure project management, mainly in finance companies.

he's got a couple of young kids & took them on a trip round south East Asia for a few months.

Nice! That'd be a cracking thing to do as youngster. Ups the budget a bit, I guess as you can't stay in hostels with young kids.

When does it become unacceptable to quit your job and clear off for a year traveling?

29 in 2 months. Plenty saved, should really be buying houses and settling down now like. I guess do what you want

Daughter (No) did it when she was 21 yrs old. Thailand capital for a few days then Northern Thailand, then New Zealand for 6 weeks, Then Hong Kong 1 week, Bejing next. Travelled the length of China into Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and thn back to Thailand (Koh Samui) where I met up with her for a 10 day beach holiday.

6 months she was away. It was the making of her character wise. Went on her own and made many friends of all ages.

You wont be out of place

Definitely want to do it some day, I'm 25 and I've been neewhere.

For those that have done it though, how easy is it slotting back into a career after buggering off for a year or two?

For those that have done it though, how easy is it slotting back into a career after buggering off for a year or two?

Can't see why that would be a problem really if you already have experience in your field. Only struggle I would imagine is going back to the daily grind after shagging your way around the world.

When does it become unacceptable to quit your job and clear off for a year traveling?

29 in 2 months. Plenty saved, should really be buying houses and settling down now like. I guess do what you want
Do it while you can and have the money, if you don't you'll look back and think why didn't I do it.
Just wish I had youth on my side.

It's easy because you are refreshed from the break and you have a different perspective. You know you can always bugger off again if you feel like it. I found that it helped having it on my CV as well, showed I was self motivated, organised etc.

I've just quit my job again and I'm off travelling in a few weeks. Planning on Indonesia, Laos and Myanmar. At 50.

Good man.

I have a good set up at work, where I can go on holiday a lot, usually go on 5 or 6 a year. Problem is the costs of flights, then losing days to travel.

Just dawned on me why don't I just caught out all that and not come back

I did it at 26. Quit my job again at 31 to write a book. Quit again at 45 to become a full time writer. In between writing the first book and quitting again I bought a house and all but paid the mortgage off. I would argue that if I hadn't made the choices to quit the first couple of times, I wouldn't have ended up in the position where I could earn enough to pay a mortgage off.
You need a break sometimes to get some perspective on what is important.
Go for it. As others have said, you'll never sit on your death bed wishing you'd bought a house a couple of years earlier.

Class mate.

Depends on how you do it. A lad I know did it on £10 a day through India, Nepal and China. But he stayed in hostels and travelled by bus and train not plane. Personally I wouldn't travel like that as I want a hotel room. Over here a clean room with aircon is usually between $10-15 (they always quote in dollars). He loved it though and he rocked up in Vietnam and I got him a job as he doesn't want to go home yet.

I'm not sure I'd want to do just the whole South East Asia thing, done Vietnam and a few others before which was class.

what? rattling a load of 18 year olds?

No no. Just I've been the 21 year old in the Australian dorm room (not the lasses getting rattled mind) and I used to think, I hope I am not still doing this when I am 30 :lol:

Little did I realise that fuck all changes

I went for a year when I was a month off 29. Never ever regretted it.

Where you go marra?

Last edited by a moderator:

go for it. no good getting old with regrets and loads of 'wish i'd have done that' thoughts.

I did it at 31 and it was the best decision I ever made. My life has completely changed for the better ever since.

Get your travelling in now before we aren't allowed into Europe or Scotland :lol:

Fuck what people think and do it.

Ive got a two year contract left with work and fully expect to be away for at least a year from 2019 and ill be 26/27.

Bollocks!

If you're wise you'll keep a bit of that savings for when you are ready to settle as I understand it can be hard to get a mortgage without a down payment.

But I very much doubt you'll regret travelling, especially if you're of an age to take in the experiences and not just blast around the world in a haze of booze, weed and Coke.

I was 40 when I bought my first gaff. Marriage and child came later still. Wouldn't change a thing. Other peoples' timetables aren't necessarily yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back