Going traveling - age

Status
Not open for further replies.
When does it become unacceptable to quit your job and clear off for a year traveling?

29 in 2 months. Plenty saved, should really be buying houses and settling down now like. I guess do what you want
I did it at 26. Quit my job again at 31 to write a book. Quit again at 45 to become a full time writer. In between writing the first book and quitting again I bought a house and all but paid the mortgage off. I would argue that if I hadn't made the choices to quit the first couple of times, I wouldn't have ended up in the position where I could earn enough to pay a mortgage off.
You need a break sometimes to get some perspective on what is important.
Go for it. As others have said, you'll never sit on your death bed wishing you'd bought a house a couple of years earlier.

Me? Given my bank balance is currently -£1,278 I'd be happy to if you foot the bill for me?

Will happily take payment in £30 instalments.

i'd put a 100 notes in as long as Grozny,Mogadishu and Caracas were on your itinerary

Two of my three closest friends now have mortgages, fiancées and full-time permanent jobs. I know how you feel. Not sure I'd swap places with them.

Go for it and have a blast.

you've got no need to worry about that

Would say I have a fair few close friends majority of whom now have mortgages, the odd kid, working all the overtime god sends to keep their heads above water, two are married.

I on the other hand have flitted through my last 8 or so years by renting flats, going to odd lands, have had two long term relationships one of which ended badly and one I'm currently in. In the next year I'm going to Thailand, Romania, Madrid and Abu Dhabi while they worry about whether they can afford a night out next month.

I know which life I'd rather have but you do what makes you happy mate. It can't hurt.

I'm 26 if that helps

there's a contractor at work who does it regularly and he must be about 47.

works for a couple of years, saves up then spends the next few months travelling.

For some reason wasn't expecting these responses. Brilliant responses.

I had a year or so in oz in my early 20s which I enjoyed.

How much would be needed money wise, realistically

there's a contractor at work who does it regularly and he must be about 47.

works for a couple of years, saves up then spends the next few months travelling.

Do you work for Sky? (in software development)

That sounds exactly like a mate of mine. Used to work for Sky full time but now contracts on specific projects and then travels.

Depends on where you're looking to travel to, what standard of digs you're willing to stay in etc.

One of my friends did SE Asia, going down through China, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia for about 6 months for circa £4,000.

Dunno how much I would trust his accuracy or my accuracy remembering what he said but I'm sure he was saying he could get reasonable accommodation and food for a day for £10. Most the money he spent was on flights and activities e.g. bungee jumping and rafting and all that shit. As well as alcohol and drugs, I imagine. I don't think he was doing it as cheap as you could, either.

So I reckon you could definitely do a year for well under £10k in SE Asia. Dunno how prices compare in South America.

Depends on how you do it. A lad I know did it on £10 a day through India, Nepal and China. But he stayed in hostels and travelled by bus and train not plane. Personally I wouldn't travel like that as I want a hotel room. Over here a clean room with aircon is usually between $10-15 (they always quote in dollars). He loved it though and he rocked up in Vietnam and I got him a job as he doesn't want to go home yet.

Last edited:
When does it become unacceptable to quit your job and clear off for a year traveling?

29 in 2 months. Plenty saved, should really be buying houses and settling down now like. I guess do what you want
I traveled for a year when I was made at redundant aged 48. I will be quitting my job and going again in 14 months aged 54. It's better than working!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back