Going back to work & Mental Health

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I was on ESA and failed my assessment as I am able to make my baby a bottle and my other two their teas as well as I can read a book before I go to sleep (only way i can fall asleep) so I am on JSA for that reason. For the most part the JobCentre have been really good (not give me a set number of hours to jobsearch etc.
I’m pleased to hear you feel ready to go back to work but did you not follow the appeal process when your ESA was stopped? Once you’ve lodged your appeal they have to put your ESA back into payment for the duration of the appeal process which currently stands at around a year.

Ask them for the time off, but say you will make up the hours to cover it no problem. They will be happy to see you eager . Good luck

^^ this! It shows willing on your behalf that you want to make a go of the job.

I admire you taking the job with your health and three children. It might be tough to start but once you get into a routine, you'll be fine. Best of luck with it all xx

I’m pleased to hear you feel ready to go back to work but did you not follow the appeal process when your ESA was stopped? Once you’ve lodged your appeal they have to put your ESA back into payment for the duration of the appeal process which currently stands at around a year.

No, I couldn't face the mountains of paper work and that was told I could only do mandatory reconsideration which in the mean time id have to switch to JSA

Last edited:
No, I couldn't face the mountains of paper work and that was told I could only do mandatory reconsideration which in the mean time id have to switch to JSA
Aye the JSA is just during the MR process but the ESA would go back into payment once the appeal was up and running. The MR can be done by phone and appeal form is only 6 pages. After that you get your ESA back until it’s done and dusted.

If you don’t go for the job I’d definitely suggest doing a late MR and then you can always file a late appeal as long as it’s within 13 months of the decision date.

Last edited:
I think you need to tell them for 2 main reasons.

If you lose work time to your mental health problems they could sack you if it wasn’t disclosed. They have a duty to provide some support if you do disclose.

2nd reason is to help normalize mental health problems. There is still a huge stigma with these things and there shouldn’t be the more we talk about it the less the stigma. Mental health issues should carry as muck stigma as eg asthma or kidney dysfunction.

why? I find that hard to believe.

If I was the OP I would tend toward the Phil option. Later the rest can be worked out.

Get yer foot in the door and you should be OK is my recommendation, dont rely on this human nature kindness nonsense some are spouting.

Well done for going along and for the job offer. HR can be very helpful but they need you to tell them about your condition.

One thing I would add to the previous comments is to talk to the job centre staff about the situation BEFORE disclosing to HR. They can give you some pointers.

My second piece of advice is to make a plan about how you want to handle HR. Give them a picture of how your recovery progress, what you are currently working on and how you feel you can fit this in with your work commitments - or what you think the commitments are if they haven't already told you about required work hours.

Last advice is to be honest with yourself too. Don't say you can do things if you can't.

Good luck with the job and let us know how it goes.

So last week I attended a recruitment day after being told to do so by the Jobcentre for a local big company whom I used to work for, However when I got there I was taken into a back room and told they knew I used to work there and would have to talk to HR to see if they could re-employ me and I wouldn't be offered a interview whilst I was there so took that as a basic No.

Again, However to my surprise I recieved a phone call today to offer me a job completely and utterly out of the blue.

This job is a decent wage (£17kpa + Bonuses) so to someone who is barely scraping by on JSA this is a good chance of earning a decent wage, Hours suit to some degree, but would mean I have to give up volunteer role within my recovery sessions which i really don't want to as I have such a bond with the lads that I help

But here lies the issue, The job/company who have offered me this don't know about my mental health problems nor do the know that I have to attend regular CBT & Counselling appointments and recovery sessions due to the fact I didn't have an interview on the recruitment day.

I dont know what to do....
Tell them .

Just been waiting for the CBT sessions for ages and don't want to miss them and my MHN only works 10-4 Monday-Friday and not at all on a Wednesday. Will they give me the time off for the sessions is the issue.

They can do the CBT sessions over the phone just take a long call during your lunch hour ? Or failing that pay to see someone privately - about £40 a session but you shouldn’t need too many.

As someone who was out of work for 7 months til this time last year I can vouch for getting back into work and feeling valued is a major boost mentally - go for it

why? I find that hard to believe.

If I was the OP I would tend toward the Phil option. Later the rest can be worked out.

Get yer foot in the door and you should be OK is my recommendation, dont rely on this human nature kindness nonsense some are spouting.
Usually when you start a new job you have to sign a health disclosure. It is after you have been offered the job and you can’t be discriminated for anything you disclose.

Presume they need to know for insurance and health and safety issues as well as providing the support they need.

Usually when you start a new job you have to sign a health disclosure. It is after you have been offered the job and you can’t be discriminated for anything you disclose.

Presume they need to know for insurance and health and safety issues as well as providing the support they need.

get yer contract signed first if there is one is my advice

Just an update:

Started today, over the moon with myself, i've finally done something that 2/3 years ago i thought i'd never be able to again

eeeeh that's proper put a smile on my face :)

Well done and enjoy basking in your glory :D

Cheers @becs I am knackeredbut all worth it I suppose. They have been really good with me and gave me Tuesday afternoons off to crack on with my appointments and recovery sessions so happy days.

They sound like brilliant employers. I'm pleased they're looking after you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back