Going back to work & Mental Health

Iansamackem

Winger
So last week I attended a recruitment day after being told to do so by the Jobcentre for a local big company whom I used to work for, However when I got there I was taken into a back room and told they knew I used to work there and would have to talk to HR to see if they could re-employ me and I wouldn't be offered a interview whilst I was there so took that as a basic No.

Again, However to my surprise I recieved a phone call today to offer me a job completely and utterly out of the blue.

This job is a decent wage (£17kpa + Bonuses) so to someone who is barely scraping by on JSA this is a good chance of earning a decent wage, Hours suit to some degree, but would mean I have to give up volunteer role within my recovery sessions which i really don't want to as I have such a bond with the lads that I help

But here lies the issue, The job/company who have offered me this don't know about my mental health problems nor do the know that I have to attend regular CBT & Counselling appointments and recovery sessions due to the fact I didn't have an interview on the recruitment day.

I dont know what to do....

So last week I attended a recruitment day after being told to do so by the Jobcentre for a local big company whom I used to work for, However when I got there I was taken into a back room and told they knew I used to work there and would have to talk to HR to see if they could re-employ me and I wouldn't be offered a interview whilst I was there so took that as a basic No.

Again, However to my surprise I recieved a phone call today to offer me a job completely and utterly out of the blue.

This job is a decent wage (£17kpa + Bonuses) so to someone who is barely scraping by on JSA this is a good chance of earning a decent wage, Hours suit to some degree, but would mean I have to give up volunteer role within my recovery sessions which i really don't want to as I have such a bond with the lads that I help

But here lies the issue, The job/company who have offered me this don't know about my mental health problems nor do the know that I have to attend regular CBT & Counselling appointments and recovery sessions due to the fact I didn't have an interview on the recruitment day.

Take the job and see how things pan out. What's the worst that could happen?

If you don’t take it you’ll probably be sanctioned anyway so what have you got to lose?

Turn it down and you're JSA will be stopped, give it a go see how you get on.
Beat me to it.

Just been waiting for the CBT sessions for ages and don't want to miss them and my MHN only works 10-4 Monday-Friday and not at all on a Wednesday. Will they give me the time off for the sessions is the issue.

It's a pre-existing issue, as long as it doesn't impact your work then the employer has to make allowances to a certain degree. Let them know, if they are worth their salt then there shouldn't be an issue, if they fuck you about then fuck em'. You also need to ask should you have still been on JSA while still in the process of resolving mental issues, so fuck the DWP as well.

Ask them , if they say no you have a reason not to take away your JSA.

Cheers mate, I appreciate the advice. Will ring them tomorrow, just my anxiety kicking off for the most part, i've been tearing my hair out all day as well trying to work finances out as well because I have never worked full time with 3 kids so don't understand all the WTC and stuff

It's a pre-existing issue, as long as it doesn't impact your work then the employer has to make allowances to a certain degree. Let them know, if they are worth their salt then there shouldn't be an issue, if they fuck you about then fuck em'. You also need to ask should you have still been on JSA while still in the process of resolving mental issues, so fuck the DWP as well.

Well, I was on ESA and failed my assessment as I am able to make my baby a bottle and my other two their teas as well as I can read a book before I go to sleep (only way i can fall asleep) so I am on JSA for that reason. For the most part the JobCentre have been really good (not give me a set number of hours to jobsearch etc.

Any reasonable human being wouldn't have a problem trying to work a deal out that works for both parties. It's at least worth a conversation but you'll obviously have to divulge some information with the boss and/or HR.

I think you need to tell them for 2 main reasons.

If you lose work time to your mental health problems they could sack you if it wasn’t disclosed. They have a duty to provide some support if you do disclose.

2nd reason is to help normalize mental health problems. There is still a huge stigma with these things and there shouldn’t be the more we talk about it the less the stigma. Mental health issues should carry as muck stigma as eg asthma or kidney dysfunction.

I think you need to tell them for 2 main reasons.

If you lose work time to your mental health problems they could sack you if it wasn’t disclosed. They have a duty to provide some support if you do disclose.

2nd reason is to help normalize mental health problems. There is still a huge stigma with these things and there shouldn’t be the more we talk about it the less the stigma. Mental health issues should carry as muck stigma as eg asthma or kidney dysfunction.

100% agree with this..

Back