Go North East to strike

Why would the drivers care about the people using the buses? They're not paid based on the approval rating of them, they drive a bus. The managers on the other hand are because if there's no customers then the shareholders won't be getting any dividends.
Note as of april arriva is a Ltd not a plc so only one shareholder .

Someone posted a job advert for a driving job on here. Starting wage of £11.46 and hour.
Who's gonna back in their current job to work for that? Especially the number of unsocial hours they'd be expected to do.
God knows what the answer is

Noticed Arriva Co Durham and Darlington were recently voted the worst in the region and about the very worst in the country. Literally a few percentage points lower than everywhere else up here

Some prat was doing a passenger survey in Durham bus station recently. He wasn't stupid enough to approach the biggest queues or the drug addled or he'd have had his tablet shoved up his arse or sold for gear

As has said there's no public appetite to take notice so future strikes will just run and local businesses/workers/scholars will have to take the hit

Maybe that's the plan. Pit operators, drivers and passengers against each other so they can say at least we're not as bad as x or y

Needs a new thread. I’ve only really read a few pages but there’s a number of tangents.
The original and big daddy of all bus strikes had it all though:

Affected Tyne and Wear, had a pantomime cast of heroes and villains.

A comedy element thrown in for light relief (management and union),

Amusing stage props (stupidly painted vehicles)

And a tragic element where people lost their livelihoods to make great sacrifices to boost driver salaries

A few bluey-grey Arriva Buses off the roads in Northumberland isn't going to cut it

I don’t work for any bus company.

You suggested that financial failings are down to management incompetence. I said that’s not entirely true but you went on to say of course it is.

It’s not, because passenger levels (and therefore revenue) has never returned to pre-pandemic levels. Also fuel costs and tyre costs have rocketed (bus companies hedge pricing but only a few months in advance). Also cost of replacing buses for greener variants has been a huge cost.

Public transport companies have been hit with seismic changes to revenues and costs, so it’s reductive and wrong to suggest it’s down to incompetence.
Don’t argue with an idiot mate.

I remember reading in here what a disgrace it was when ‘management’ stopped a new fleet from being delivered to the NE and instead sent them to London and brought older stock up North.

Completely missing the point that due to a change in emissions legislation it made sense to do so - and the different driving styles of the NE to London also made sense to extend the lifecycle of the vehicle.

Knackers on here: ‘But management are incompetent’.

That decision probably saved 100 jobs.
The original and big daddy of all bus strikes had it all though:

Affected Tyne and Wear, had a pantomime cast of heroes and villains.

A comedy element thrown in for light relief (management and union),

Amusing stage props (stupidly painted vehicles)

And a tragic element where people lost their livelihoods to make great sacrifices to boost driver salaries

A few bluey-grey Arriva Buses off the roads in Northumberland isn't going to cut it
Wait til the press releases start :lol:

Last edited:
Note as of april arriva is a Ltd not a plc so only one shareholder .

Aye, getting bought by iSquared.
God knows what the answer is

Noticed Arriva Co Durham and Darlington were recently voted the worst in the region and about the very worst in the country. Literally a few percentage points lower than everywhere else up here

Some prat was doing a passenger survey in Durham bus station recently. He wasn't stupid enough to approach the biggest queues or the drug addled or he'd have had his tablet shoved up his arse or sold for gear

As has said there's no public appetite to take notice so future strikes will just run and local businesses/workers/scholars will have to take the hit

Maybe that's the plan. Pit operators, drivers and passengers against each other so they can say at least we're not as bad as x or y

Btw there's different terms with Arriva Durham. Quite a few drivers down there still have paid breaks, so even known their base rate is lower they still come out with more money. Seen it mentioned somewhere.

Last edited:
Aye, getting bought by iSquared.

Btw there's different terms with Arriva Durham. Quite a few drivers down there still have paid breaks, so even known their base rate is lower they still come out with more money. Seen it mentioned somewhere.
Maybe it's a management tactic then to dump in a load of drivers from elsewhere to soften up the Durham driver collective for the next round of pay talks

Has to be some reason and I doubt rectifying shortages by funding a bunch of non locals to run the routes for a while is a priority

Maybe it's a management tactic then to dump in a load of drivers from elsewhere to soften up the Durham driver collective for the next round of pay talks

Has to be some reason and I doubt rectifying shortages by funding a bunch of non locals to run the routes for a while is a priority

It's a mess like, I really don't know. Arriva in general just seems to be badly ran and it comes from the top as DB Regio hasn't been interested for years so it's just been stuck in limbo for years.

Mind they've had agency staff for ages in Northumbria but appear to have scrapped them recently. It doesn't help that the fleet belongs in a heritage museum, especially at Blyth and there's now vehicle shortages to add into the mix. Arriva's answer, send the newest buses to Redcar.

Can't wait for the new rail line to open personally as it's going to kill them imo (even known some disagree with that). I know it might be an expense, but I'd be doing literally everything to prove why people should use the bus, instead they're doing everything on why you should use the train instead. Complete bizarre management.

Addressing their customers on why there's chronic shortages would be a good start rather than hiding in a bunker, regardless to the strikes.

Last edited:
It's a mess like, I really don't know. Arriva in general just seems to be badly ran and it comes from the top as DB Regio hasn't been interested for years so it's just been stuck in limbo for years.

Mind they've had agency staff for ages in Northumbria but appear to have scrapped them recently. It doesn't help that the fleet belongs in a heritage museum, especially at Blyth and there's now vehicle shortages to add into the mix. Arriva's answer, send the newest buses to Redcar.

Can't wait for the new rail line to open personally as it's going to kill them imo (even known some disagree with that). I know it might be an expense, but I'd be doing literally everything to prove why people should use the bus, instead they're doing everything on why you should use the train instead. Complete bizarre management.

Addressing their customers on why there's chronic shortages would be a good start rather than hiding in a bunker, regardless to the strikes.
Won’t kill arriva, they Couod Just redeploy the buses to another depot and not lost money in that area as they do today …

Don’t argue with an idiot mate.

I remember reading in here what a disgrace it was when ‘management’ stopped a new fleet from being delivered to the NE and instead sent them to London and brought older stock up North.

Completely missing the point that due to a change in emissions legislation it made sense to do so - and the different driving styles of the NE to London also made sense to extend the lifecycle of the vehicle.

Knackers on here: ‘But management are incompetent’.

That decision probably saved 100 jobs.

Wait til the press releases start :lol:
it's just dawned on me you were the other clueless lad sticking up for management. don't you work in a transport office and think the river tyne is a motorway because it's coloured blue on a map?

Won’t kill arriva, they Couod Just redeploy the buses to another depot and not lost money in that area as they do today …

Considering the North East is one of the flagship areas for Arriva, it's probably not in their best interests to do that.

The accounts can't really be used as there was the Jesmond mess and the massive pay offs relating to that aswell which naturally going to always overinflate the losses.

Last edited:

Oh maybe the interlopers are agency staff then. Easier/cheaper to get shot off when they pull the plug on the NE entirely?

Oh maybe the interlopers are agency staff then. Easier/cheaper to get shot off when they pull the plug on the NE entirely?

Think they've got shot of them now.

Mind can't see them wanting to get arid of the North East. There's other areas which are even worse and with the upcoming franchising coming in, if they can get an area it's just £££ pretty much. It's not like they have much choice up here as GNE is just as bad and Gateshead Central Taxis are just a dodgy company.

Think they've got shot of them now.

Mind can't see them wanting to get arid of the North East. There's other areas which are even worse and with the upcoming franchising coming in, if they can get an area it's just £££ pretty much. It's not like they have much choice up here as GNE is just as bad and Gateshead Central Taxis are just a dodgy company.
GNE can't possibly have a fleet as knackered as Arriva NE

A lot of them can barely even get up a slight incline. Get queues behind them every morning/evening

Must be exhausting having to force a great big bus round a route all day long that can hardly actually move, never mind the rest of how shit the job must be at times

It's almost comical

GNE can't possibly have a fleet as knackered as Arriva NE

A lot of them can barely even get up a slight incline. Get queues behind them every morning/evening

Must be exhausting having to force a great big bus round a route all day long that can hardly actually move, never mind the rest of how shit the job must be at times

It's almost comical

Aye you're right there mind about the fleet with Arriva, can't argue. GoNorthEast's isn't much better whenever I've been on though, especially the 15 year old heaps coming from London recently.

I'd hate to do their job though, crap pay, crap job, just a number to management. Grim as an understatement, give me an HGV any day of the week if I was going to drive vehicles.

Back