Go North East to strike

Only half heard it, getting younger drivers in I think.

Looked on iPlayer, it's a government initiative to lower the legal age of bus drivers.
Might be a hard sell to persuade young uns to take up a job which involves lots of weekend work.
Just watched it. Under 21 drivers can't operate more than 50km routes. They want to change to law so they can. It was reported from Carlisle where they will have some very long routes.

The vast majority of the routes in Tyne and wear are under 50km. There was also something about permitting drivers to train " without " a provisional licence, I presume they mean with.

It used to be the case you could train for a PSV/PCV licence with a provisional licence, someone on my course did this in 1985, the first vehicle he ever drove was a manual Bristol double decker, bonkers looking back., then they changed it so you needed to have held a car licence for a year ( I think?).

They also repeat the lie about a national shortage of drivers.

The solution to recruitment and retainment is to make the job attractive, not fanny about with minor legalities.
Just checked and the not having a provisional licence relates to doing your CPC before you get your provisional.

Yeah, because that why we are short of drivers.

Last edited:

Back