Give me a gun and a length of rope now please.... :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

OTT thread title aside, @dcl0sc is spot on here. Yet again, we appear to be entering a season with a squad that is ill-equipped for promotion. We've been saying this for years now, when we were in the PL, we weren't strong enough to compete, fast forward to present day, we're in league one...yes league one and still unable to attract players that are good enough to get us out of a tin pot league.

Players like Power, Flanagan, Wyke, Grigg and Dobson should not be first team players, we've seen enough of them now to realise they aren't good enough. These are the players that should be replaced with better, unfortunately we have a tendancy to replace players with like-for-like signings, we always stuggle to strengthen. Although Power and Flanagan are not bad league one players and Dobson deserves more time, these players should be squad players at best. Wyke should have been shifted after his first season here, he is utterly tripe and I struggle to believe we can't do better, surely worst case we could find better alternatives in league two and the national league.

I naively thought we'd pickup the cream of the crop in league one after being relegated, but it seems our meagre budget and inability to attract the better players in the league has proven too difficult for Donald and co. We have a proven league one attacking midfielder in Maddison who appears to want to join us and will all but guarantee 10 plus goals and assists, but our manager clearly feels he cannot handle him.

If we setup with the same players this coming season as the team that finished last, once more we'll struggle to even make the playoffs. It pains me to think we're likely going to persist with the cumbersome Charlie Wyke until his contract runs out basically. Donald regularly talks of ambition, ambitious budgets etc. we've seen little or no signs of ambition. Grigg was the last ambitious signing we made and what a shocker it was, they've been scared from investing ever since.

Without additional quality, we'll be entering the season once more on a downer, we have a manager few wanted and an owner that supposedly wants to sell the club. Where's the direction? Where is the energy going to come from to reignite the fans and help spearhead a push for promotion?

Another way of having a pop at Parky and the team before a ball has been kicked ...
Too right, our lasses grandmother who's 87 could have got that team last season in the playoffs.

Parky is a complete dog turd manager. People saying "give him a chance", "the season hasn't started yet" yada yada yada seem unable (or unwilling) to see the wood for the trees.
IMO we would’ve went up this season had it played out.
😳

Last edited:
Too right, our lasses grandmother who's 87 could have got that team last season in the playoffs.

Parky is a complete dog turd manager. People saying "give him a chance", "the season hasn't started yet" yada yada yada seem unable (or unwilling) to see the wood for the trees.

😳
I would give him the benefit of me getting behind him initially before said ball has been kicked ..maybe that makes me a modern day "uber supporter "who knows ( wanting to give the manager a bit of time ) ....a new season and renewed hope for me .If it all goes wrong we could call in said Granny ...mind she's not much owner than me .

Haven’t read 6 pages, but is this not the team that went on the run of about 8 wins in 10 & let in 2 goals or something. That shows there’s something there to work with. Aye, you’d like to improve on a few of them, but it’s not the worst base to build from.

there's still work to be done and things will shift ahead of that first kick but it's the core of a very competitive side at this level, and PP will have them a lot fitter this time around too.

OTT thread title aside, @dcl0sc is spot on here. Yet again, we appear to be entering a season with a squad that is ill-equipped for promotion. We've been saying this for years now, when we were in the PL, we weren't strong enough to compete, fast forward to present day, we're in league one...yes league one and still unable to attract players that are good enough to get us out of a tin pot league.

Players like Power, Flanagan, Wyke, Grigg and Dobson should not be first team players, we've seen enough of them now to realise they aren't good enough. These are the players that should be replaced with better, unfortunately we have a tendancy to replace players with like-for-like signings, we always stuggle to strengthen. Although Power and Flanagan are not bad league one players and Dobson deserves more time, these players should be squad players at best. Wyke should have been shifted after his first season here, he is utterly tripe and I struggle to believe we can't do better, surely worst case we could find better alternatives in league two and the national league.

I naively thought we'd pickup the cream of the crop in league one after being relegated, but it seems our meagre budget and inability to attract the better players in the league has proven too difficult for Donald and co. We have a proven league one attacking midfielder in Maddison who appears to want to join us and will all but guarantee 10 plus goals and assists, but our manager clearly feels he cannot handle him.

If we setup with the same players this coming season as the team that finished last, once more we'll struggle to even make the playoffs. It pains me to think we're likely going to persist with the cumbersome Charlie Wyke until his contract runs out basically. Donald regularly talks of ambition, ambitious budgets etc. we've seen little or no signs of ambition. Grigg was the last ambitious signing we made and what a shocker it was, they've been scared from investing ever since.

Without additional quality, we'll be entering the season once more on a downer, we have a manager few wanted and an owner that supposedly wants to sell the club. Where's the direction? Where is the energy going to come from to reignite the fans and help spearhead a push for promotion?

Great summary. Couldn't put it better.

That team / formation worked a treat for 6 weeks or so in January /February - its peak coming in the drubbing of Wycombe’s team of all talents at the Stadium of Light

what PP needs to be doing (and should’ve been doing then) is working on a plan B and a plan C. Teams soon learned how to nullify that formation and word seemed to spread like wildfire

we need to be able to switch, during matches if needed, and expose our opponents’ weak points.

we are nowhere near strong enough to mount a sustained automatic promotion push. How the fuck can we never sign the right type of midfielder, its baffling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back