George Dobson

Status
Not open for further replies.
And he doesn't appear to be any better than Robson, power, mcgeough, leadbitter, onien and every other centre mid we have at the club.

The fans of a team who have just been relegated don't even rate him. Why does everyone think he's going to be better than the players I've just mentioned above?

Oh and cm is probably the last position we need players. We need some creativity and have done for the last 12 months

Yes they do ya daft twat

If Dobson adds legs and mobility in centre mid then he will go a very long way to suddenly transforming our team.
When I've seen him play he's acted as a defensive screen, who got a nosebleed if he went past the centre circle. I didn't get legs or mobility from him, not to day he cant play in a different way.

I'm also curious how he'll slot into your team, as you dont normally play a defensive screen with three centre backs, so so thing will have to give.

Said it before but decent is better than poor and there are poor players in the Sunderland squad.
Fair play, I know that feeling.

No doubt the players you've signed will automatically turn you into Barcelona.
We've spent (relatively) big on pacey attacking players, which was our downfall last year. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Decent is nothing special, to be fair. Both are good players, but they're not going to suddenly transform your team.

We've got a few players who are a bit above this level tbf (and had even more last season). That didn't really do us any good. In a way I think it left us a bit disjointed. We need a few players who are a bit more savvy about the gamesmanship, cheating and poor reffing at this level. I hope Willis and Dobson fit into that bracket. One observation from last season is that L1 is hardly full of skillful players who are going to set the world alight.

When I've seen him play he's acted as a defensive screen, who got a nosebleed if he went past the centre circle. I didn't get legs or mobility from him, not to day he cant play in a different way.

I'm also curious how he'll slot into your team, as you dont normally play a defensive screen with three centre backs, so so thing will have to give.
Well that would be disappointing.

He described himself as being able to be a box to box midfielder. I suspect that’s more the role we’ll use him for. Walsall fans suggested he found himself playing deeper in their midfield last season as a result of long term injuries to two of their other defensive mids. They said his performances suffered for it as he was more effective further forward.

Last edited:

He described himself as being able to be a box to box midfielder. I suspect tyat’s More the role we’ll use him for. Walsall fans suggested he found himself playing deeper in their midfield last season as a result of long term injuries to two of their other defensive mids. They said his performances suffered for it as he was more effective further forward.

Leadbitter/McGeough will be the person who dictates from the back line. Dobson will be used to drive the ball forward.

He described himself as being able to be a box to box midfielder. I suspect tyat’s More the role we’ll use him for. Walsall fans suggested he found himself playing deeper in their midfield last season as a result of long term injuries to two of their other defensive mids. They said his performances suffered for it as he was more effective further forward.
Yeah, that's very likely. Fingers crossed for the lad, good pedigree and great chance for him.

We've spent (relatively) big on pacey attacking players, which was our downfall last year. Fingers crossed!
If Lowe goes though you’re back to square one on that front really aren’t you (I don’t rate Harrison that highly)?

McCrorie will be your best signing in my opinion.

Leadbitter/McGeough will be the person who dictates from the back line. Dobson will be used to drive the ball forward.
Is McGeouch staying then?

Last edited:
Your puzzled over why we signed him based on Walsall fans being bitter due to their captain handing in a transfer request and signing for a massive club like us at this level and leaving a tin pot club in the Midlands? Give him a chance and judge him once you've seen him play.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^MAG.

If Lowe goes though you’re back to square one on that front really aren’t you (I don’t rate Harrison that highly)?

McCrorie will be your best signing in my opinion.
Yeah, if Lowe goes we'll need to replace him for sure. Agree that McCrorie will likely be a game changer, however may cause issues for us trying to get him and Naylor into the same team without being too defensive.

Yeah, if Lowe goes we'll need to replace him for sure. Agree that McCrorie will likely be a game changer, however may cause issues for us trying to get him and Naylor into the same team without being too defensive.
Maybe one of them at centre back? I guess with Downing and Raggett you’re probably pretty set there until Watmough returns anyway though.

Fair play, I know that feeling.

Doesn't look like his nose is bleeding here mind....

Speak Sunderland on Twitter

I like the way SAFC.com explain his career history. If he signed for West Ham in 2015 after spending 10 years at Arsenal he must have been around 7 years old when he signed for Arsenal if he is 21 now.

'Dobson started his career at Arsenal, spending a decade with the Gunners before moving to his boyhood club, West Ham United, in 2015.'
He probably was, nothing unusual in clubs signing up young kids these days.
Good write up here.
OB Footballer Signs Dutch Deal

Maybe one of them at centre back? I guess with Downing and Raggett you’re probably pretty set there until Watmough returns anyway though.
You are spot on here. Looks as if Naylor is going to be dropped back to CB this season, most likely ahead of Raggett on the recent friendlies.

I’m personally a bit more pleased at that. Felt Naylor and McCrorie may have left us short of goals in midfield. When you’ve got a lad in Close who has scored 8 goals in 3 months from DCM, and was our top scorer in 2019 at threat of being out of the team, we’ve had to find a way of getting all 3 in.

Last minute goal in a relegation battle. If he does it every week, I'll come up there and apologise in person :D
I'm not expecting every week, but a few would be nice. Mind you're setting yourself up for a bit of sods law in a few weeks time. ;)

Yes and I wasn't blown away, I thought they were a horrible team that didn't play particularly good football.

I don't know how anyone at the stage can say he's better than what we've got. We're making the same mistakes and stockpiling the club with average players.

Time will tell.

I was impressed with him and think he’s the sort of player we should’ve been signing as soon as we dropped out of the Premier League.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back