Geoff Cook on bbc tees sport now

How do we know he has not been offered an honour and turned it down. He is not one for pomp and ceremony.. our current chairman had some interesting views on him in his autobiography.

He hasn't been offered an honour, and I'd count it as a compliment for a Tory like Botham to disagree with my politics.

He has been a cricket coach that is it, nothing more nothing less.

Soo much for the region like what? All he has done is coach a cricket team in that region.

Are you on a deliberate wind-up? He set up and developed the finest academy of the modern era. He went out, spotted young talent and nurtured it. Ask most of the many players produced by the Durham academy if he was "just a coach". He was a talent-spotter, coach, mentor and - as mentioned - has done untold work for the local Minor Counties.
And even if he WAS just a coach,. he was one of the most successful in county cricket's modern era.

Last edited:
He hasn't been offered an honour, and I'd count it as a compliment for a Tory like Botham to disagree with my politics.

Are you on a deliberate wind-up? He set up and developed the finest academy of the modern era. He went out, spotted young talent and nurtured it. Ask most of the many players produced by the Durham academy if he was "just a coach". He was a talent-spotter, coach, mentor and - as mentioned - has done untold work for the local Minor Counties.
And even if he WAS just a coach,. he was one of the most successful in county cricket's modern era.

No not on a wind up, he was Durham’s cricket coach through a very successful time, and for that he rightly deserves credit.

However there is nothing to suggest any other coach would not have nurtured talent and produced a academy and spotted talent, as that is part of the job description.

He was paid to do a job, and did it well, that does not mean he deserves a MBE, and that he done work for the region or outstanding work in the community.

It’s about putting things in perspective for me and not painting him a saint for doing a good job that he was well paid to do.

Imo a MBE is and should given for more, not sure why that basic opinion should be taken as a wind up.

He's coached the team to win major trophies and brought through players to play for their country. I'm not sure what else he could have done as a coach to get an honour, unless you think no one should get honoured for services to sport.

Yeah that’s pretty much it, and think it should be put in perspective, cricket is just a sport, and Geoff Cook was a cricket coach, who once again did a good job he was paid for.

Should that result in a MBE?

No in my opinion!

The criteria for the award of MBE is "offering outstanding service to the community". Whether Geoff is deserving of the award depends on whether his service is considered to be outstanding. Difficult to understand how the achievements listed above can be judged as "just being a cricket coach". But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Surely offering outstanding service to the community, is a different criteria though than been a really good cricket coach.

Not been awkward mate, but I also struggle to think doing a very good, anybody doing a very good job that they are well paid for should be counted as service.

Last edited:
Surely offering outstanding service to the community, is a different criteria though than been a really good cricket coach.

Not been awkward mate, but I also struggle to think doing a very good, anybody doing a very good job that they are well paid for should be counted as service.
I wouldn't regard anyone as being awkward simply because they have a different opinion to mine. Seems to me it's a matter of semantics in our interpretation of "service" and " community". Bottom line is that I'd imagine that Cook himself would be wholly indifferent to being awarded any honour.

Last edited:
No not on a wind up, he was Durham’s cricket coach through a very successful time, and for that he rightly deserves credit.

However there is nothing to suggest any other coach would not have nurtured talent and produced a academy and spotted talent, as that is part of the job description.

He was paid to do a job, and did it well, that does not mean he deserves a MBE, and that he done work for the region or outstanding work in the community.

It’s about putting things in perspective for me and not painting him a saint for doing a good job that he was well paid to do.

Imo a MBE is and should given for more, not sure why that basic opinion should be taken as a wind up.

Yeah that’s pretty much it, and think it should be put in perspective, cricket is just a sport, and Geoff Cook was a cricket coach, who once again did a good job he was paid for.

No in my opinion!

My congratulations on again ignoring the fact that he was more than just a cricket coach. Some going, that.

I say again: built and populated the academy with talent he went out and spotted, nurtured said talent and did a huge amount of unpaid work for minor counties cricket and charitable bodies such as the Durham Cricket Board.
Oh, and he was both chairman and secretary of the Professional Cricketers' Association.
Just a coach, my flabby arse...

No in my opinion!

You are being awkward like, you know you are.

The fact is very few people get gongs for sport.

Those that so have been wildly successful on nationally or politicians of the day want to make a PR point for their own benefit.

Cook won't get one (imho) for simply being good at his job with Durham . If he's to get one it's because of the extra activities ie charitable works.

But, if you think he's due one why don't you recommend him. Anyone one can recommend someone for an award. Nominate someone for an honour or award

Last edited:
You are being awkward like, you know you are.

I am not, I simply things MBE should be given out for more than been a good coach, that goes for anyone and is nothing against Geoff Cook.

The fact is very few people get gongs for sport.

Those that so have been wildly successful on nationally or politicians of the day want to make a PR point for their own benefit.

Cook won't get one (imho) for simply being good at his job with Durham . If he's to get one it's because of the extra activities ie charitable works.

But, if you think he's due one why don't you recommend him. Anyone one can recommend someone for an award. Nominate someone for an honour or award

That’s basically my point which I think is fair enough and doesn’t make me awkward or on wind up.

My congratulations on again ignoring the fact that he was more than just a cricket coach. Some going, that.

I say again: built and populated the academy with talent he went out and spotted, nurtured said talent and did a huge amount of unpaid work for minor counties cricket and charitable bodies such as the Durham Cricket Board.
Oh, and he was both chairman and secretary of the Professional Cricketers' Association.

f***ing Hell man, give it a rest, I think you his brother the way you going on.

So in other words he has done some good work for cricket

I am pretty sure other coaches do other good work at other counties.

Last edited:

here here. He was "more than just a coach". Even once he packed in his job for Durham XI, he still made every effort coaching the junior sides over the winter etc and is still actively seeking to work in the game.

He's a good bloke

I am not, I simply things MBE should be given out for more than been a good coach, that goes for anyone and is nothing against Geoff Cook.

That’s basically my point which I think is fair enough and doesn’t make me awkward or on wind up.

f***ing Hell man, give it a rest, I think you his brother the way you going on.

So in other words he has done some good work for cricket

I am pretty sure other coaches do other good work at other counties.

Righto pal. Only Yorkshire, as far as I'm aware, have produced more England cricketers than Durham's academy has in the last 15 years, and from vastly greater resources. But hey f***ing ho.

Righto pal. Only Yorkshire, as far as I'm aware, have produced more England cricketers than Durham's academy has in the last 15 years, and from vastly greater resources. But hey f***ing ho.
Not so sure Yorkshire have. The likes of Bairstow, Ballance and Root, for example, are products of the public school system rather than Yorkshire Academy.

I have no idea why that has anything to do with somebody getting a MBE.

Producing sporting players and coaching them to reach international status is good no doubt about that,

But it is just a sport that all cricket is!!!

MBE should be given out for a lot more imo.

here here. He was "more than just a coach". Even once he packed in his job for Durham XI, he still made every effort coaching the junior sides over the winter etc and is still actively seeking to work in the game.

He's a good bloke

There you are then,still actively seeking work and coached juniors!

Deserving of a honour from the Queen for that mind

Last edited:
I have no idea why that has anything to do with somebody getting a MBE.

Producing sporting players and coaching them to reach international status is good no doubt about that,

But it is just a sport that all cricket is!!!

MBE should be given out for a lot more imo.

There you are then,still actively seeking work and coached juniors!

Deserving of a honour from the Queen for that mind

Charity work (eg Durham Cricket Youth Trust). Unpaid role coaching Northumberland. Unpaid work (coaching and ambassadorial) for Durham and Northumberland Cricket Boards. Fought for cricketers' rights by leading the players' union ... vs the word of a thick-as-steak-mince WUM.

Charity work (eg Durham Cricket Youth Trust). Unpaid role coaching Northumberland. Unpaid work (coaching and ambassadorial) for Durham and Northumberland Cricket Boards. Fought for cricketers' rights by leading the players' union ... vs the word of a thick-as-steak-mince WUM.

ambassdorial role! Sounds like hard work that mind!

You have failed to grasp my point from the very beginning, I have nothing against Geoff Cook in any way.

But have a strong opinion that just cricket work does not deserve a MBE.

I honestly find it ridiculous that you can’t see a opinion I am putting across.

All you have done in every single
one of your post is mention what he has done for cricket.

They is literally thousands of unpaid coaches in this country at local club level thousands.

Yet you excuse me of been a WUM for simply saying don’t think cricket coaches should get MBE’s

Which is a perfectly entitled view to have because they is more to this world than cricket!

Last edited:

Back