Geoff Cook on bbc tees sport now

Listened to it. It was really good hearing him talking about giving local lads a change and about the most satisfying thing was some of those lads taking it with both hands all the way to playing for England.

He speaks so well, so eloquent. The vast majority of sports pundits could learn a lot from him. The value of choosing the right word, instead of using 12.

He speaks so well, so eloquent. The vast majority of sports pundits could learn a lot from him. The value of choosing the right word, instead of using 12.

Yet, despite all he has done for cricket in this country, Geoff hasn't had so much as an MBE (and, despite all he did for Durham, was allowed to leave
- and not by choice - without any sort of presentation/tribute/dinner).

Yet, despite all he has done for cricket in this country, Geoff hasn't had so much as an MBE (and, despite all he did for Durham, was allowed to leave

He did get well paid you know, all he has done was his job, you make it sound like it was all a vocation for him,

I agree. You look at the fuss made with Collingwood, compared to Benks, MDV, Cook and dare i say Lewis..m

Do we know he wasn't offered a celebration? He sounds pretty humble maybe he didn't want one, some people don't.

I agree. You look at the fuss made with Collingwood, compared to Benks, MDV, Cook and dare i say Lewis..m
The difference is Colly retired and it was his own choice - that's an easy thing to celebrate. Lewis was reorganised out of a job, hard for him to accept anything, Benks too I think.

He did get well paid you know, all he has done was his job, you make it sound like it was all a vocation for him,

So you would expect to just leave at the end of your final day after 27 years' stellar service without so much as a leaving drink suggested by your employer?

Do we know he wasn't offered a celebration? He sounds pretty humble maybe he didn't want one, some people don't.

The difference is Colly retired and it was his own choice - that's an easy thing to celebrate. Lewis was reorganised out of a job, hard for him to accept anything, Benks too I think.

He didn't ask for anything but was a bit disappointed (in his own low key, no fuss way) that nothing whatsoever was done - not even a leaving drink.
Not that that's the point. The bloke oversaw the development of the county's greatest ever cricketers and coached the club to silverware that had long seemed unthinkable. The club should have organised something to mark his departure, not least for having encouraged him out of the door.

Last edited:
So you would expect to just leave at the end of your final day after 27 years' stellar service without so much as a leaving drink suggested by your employer?

He didn't ask for anything but was a bit disappointed (in his own low key, no fuss way) that nothing whatsoever was done - not even a leaving drink.
Not that that's the point. The bloke oversaw the development of the county's greatest ever cricketers and coached the club to silverware that had long seemed unthinkable. The club should have organised something to mark his departure, not least for having encouraged him out of the door.
Totally agree.

Well yes can see that point of course but suggesting MBE is way over the top, I don’t agree when people use the term
‘ after all they have done for the country’ , as they were doing the country or club a favour, when they have just been well paid to do a good job.

An MBE is, by definition, "an award given by the Queen for outstanding service to the community". I find it difficult that anyone who follows DCCC can't accept that Geoff made that degree of service to the club. He, more than anyone, set up an academy which is without parallel in the country.
I'd question some of the knighthood that are awarded in sport but MBE is a comparatively low ranking award.

Last edited:
An MBE is, by definition, "an award given by the Queen for outstanding service to the community". I find it difficult that anyone who follows DCCC can't accept that Geoff made that degree of service to the club. He, more than anyone, set up an academy which is without parallel in the country.
I'd question some of the knighthood that are awarded in sport but MBE is a comparatively low ranking award.

Bang on. Setting aside Durham and the academy, he also did a huge amount of unpaid work for the Durham Cricket Board and for the game in Northumberland and Cumbria.
An MBE is the least he deserves.

Well yes can see that point of course but suggesting MBE is way over the top, I don’t agree when people use the term
‘ after all they have done for the country’ , as they were doing the country or club a favour, when they have just been well paid to do a good job.

No it’s not

He’s done so much for the region and English cricket how can anyone say he doesn’t warrant one

It does seem a bit out of order that there has been no recognition. I agree on the MBE front too.

In other news Marcus North has given an interview to Local knowledge is giving Marcus North the edge at Durham synopsis: nothing startling but reiterates wanting local lads to come through.

Think it’s a good appointment

Living in the area, well connected, young enough to know how the game has changed

It might not work but I’ve been impressed with the reorganization of the club, we probably needed fresh eyes everywhere to finally get past the sanctions

Still annoys me to this day, twats

Last edited:
No it’s not

He’s done so much for the region and English cricket how can anyone say he doesn’t warrant one

Think it’s a good appointment

Living in the area, well connected, young enough to know how the game has changed

It might not work but I’ve been impressed with the reorganization of the club, we probably needed fresh eyes everywhere to finally get past the sanctions

Still annoys me to this day, twats

He has been a cricket coach that is it, nothing more nothing less.

Soo much for the region like what? All he has done is coach a cricket team in that region.

Last edited:
He has been a cricket coach that is it, nothing more nothing less.

Soo much for the region like what? All he has done is coach a cricket team in that region.
He's coached the team to win major trophies and brought through players to play for their country. I'm not sure what else he could have done as a coach to get an honour, unless you think no one should get honoured for services to sport.

The criteria for the award of MBE is "offering outstanding service to the community". Whether Geoff is deserving of the award depends on whether his service is considered to be outstanding. Difficult to understand how the achievements listed above can be judged as "just being a cricket coach". But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Back