General Motorsport Thread

no that would be a ridiculous stretch - all those who stood up for their rights and demanded decent pay and conditions which the vast majority of us now enjoy but comes as a surprise to people like SBC who have had to work for exploitative arseholes

Just because it came as a surprise doesnt mean hes been previously exploited.
If you've ever tried to give him advice before, you'd know exactly what I'm talking about.

If you've ever tried to give him advice before, you'd know exactly what I'm talking about.
Tried and failed many times ! Forget it's SBC, forget that someone really should help him with this stuff and just think of a fella who's had numerous jobs and this one is the first where he's had paid holiday. Companies using agencies, temp contracts, zero hours etc are exploiting workers and the law allows it now where it never used to.

Tried and failed many times ! Forget it's SBC, forget that someone really should help him with this stuff and just think of a fella who's had numerous jobs and this one is the first where he's had paid holiday. Companies using agencies, temp contracts, zero hours etc are exploiting workers and the law allows it now where it never used to.

Had it been anyone else, I'd be in agreement with you. However it isnt.

Nowt then! :lol:

Never mind. This is a general motorsport thread. Anything you have to offer will be appreciated. And I am being patient here.

What did I say in the second sentence of my first post? As much as I appreciate the attention (attention of any kind is better than none at all) I would appreciate it more if we kept to the topic.

Last edited:
I am in such a good mood I thought I would finally take the plunge and start a thread about other motorsport series that's out there. It would detract from the topic if I explained why and I would like to keep this on the subject of motorsport.

I used to be a big fan of BTCC and WRC when I was younger, mainly through PlayStation games. I've never really had much interest in any other motorsports. Used to watch WRC highlights regularly until about 2005/6, and still catch the odd bit and check the standings from time to time. I've been tempted by that WRC+ to watch live stages but never got round to it, I is wouldn't make the use of it.

I used to be a big fan of BTCC and WRC when I was younger, mainly through PlayStation games. I've never really had much interest in any other motorsports. Used to watch WRC highlights regularly until about 2005/6, and still catch the odd bit and check the standings from time to time. I've been tempted by that WRC+ to watch live stages but never got round to it, I is wouldn't make the use of it.

Ok. This is good. How did you find both?

F1 - think it's just a tv based format now so they should look at the surroundings to make it visually better.

Rallying - used to love it but now it's too commercial and the cars they drive are nothing like the road equivalents. Loved the rac in a snow covered hamsterly forest.

Speedway - love this and try and watch berwick bandits as much as possible... the smell and noise is mint.

Banger racing - used to watch at hartlepool and newton aycliff but both shut now.

Rally cross- watched at croft and the grand prix at brands hatch twice.

Drag racing - watched this at York and became very bored very quickly.

Moto x - watched loads outside years ago as mate and his brother raced sidcars. Would go and watch the indoor short course stuff now.

Ok. This is good. How did you find both?
Rallying I just always liked, the Colin McRae Rally game got me in to it when I was 8/9 I think. I lost interest a little when some of the manufacturer's pulled out. Prefer it over any other motorsports still, and like watching old clips etc.

I don't think I actually watched touring cars that much, would have been around 99/00ish when I did. I've caught the odd race since then but not for a while.

I think I liked the fact they both involved basically normal everyday cars, just souped up versions of them

The lad seems pretty switched on regarding tv packages and motorsport not to realise he as holidays.

Agencies and temp contracts still give you paid holidays except they're accumulated instead of allotted at a certain time of year.

I don’t want to sound like “World’s and Histories Most Ungrateful Sandie 2021” but would it be asking a lot to pretend we are chatting about motor racing?☺☺☺☺👍👍👍👍

On this date -

In 1958, five-time champion Juan Manuel Fangio was due to compete in the Cuban Grand Prix, a sportscar race taking place through the streets of the island’s capital in Havana. However, at the time Cuba was enduring a power struggle between the existing government and Fidel Castro’s revolutionary forces. To bring attention to Castro’s cause it was decided that kidnapping the star of the race would bring attention to their cause.

The night before the race, a group of people sauntered into the hotel where Fangio was staying and kidnapped him at gunpoint. He was moved between a couple of safehouses to prevent him from being found, held until the race had finished the following day, and then released. It sounds traumatic, but afterwards Fangio told media that he’d been treated well and had no resentment for his captors, calling it “just one more adventure”.

On this date -

In 1958, five-time champion Juan Manuel Fangio was due to compete in the Cuban Grand Prix, a sportscar race taking place through the streets of the island’s capital in Havana. However, at the time Cuba was enduring a power struggle between the existing government and Fidel Castro’s revolutionary forces. To bring attention to Castro’s cause it was decided that kidnapping the star of the race would bring attention to their cause.

The night before the race, a group of people sauntered into the hotel where Fangio was staying and kidnapped him at gunpoint. He was moved between a couple of safehouses to prevent him from being found, held until the race had finished the following day, and then released. It sounds traumatic, but afterwards Fangio told media that he’d been treated well and had no resentment for his captors, calling it “just one more adventure”.

Wow! Fascinating stuff there. Well done BJ. How do you know this?

Back