GCSE Results

People who left school and got jobs had money when the students didn’t, then they all graduated and got better jobs. But 30 years later and there’s little difference salary wise between someone who left school at 16 and someone who went to uni.

Most jobs taken up by 16-18 yo's 30 years ago were government schemes that paid about £35 a week.

People who left school and got jobs had money when the students didn’t, then they all graduated and got better jobs. But 30 years later and there’s little difference salary wise between someone who left school at 16 and someone who went to uni.
When I left school in 81 there were no jobs. Which was lucky for me as I ended up doing A levels at Tech college and then a degree at a polytechnical (c) TLR.

I could never (still can’t 30 years later) understand the kids who weren’t bothered about them. Of course you had the top stream who were destined for academia, to whom anything less than 10 was failure and you had the thick kids who could barely hold a pen, and were destined to be bus drivers.
But there was a whole swathe of middling kids who just didn’t seem to try particularly hard and were happy getting 2 or 3.
Why wouldn’t you want to give yourself the best possible chance in life?
Sex, drugs and rock and roll! At that age you just want to enjoy yourself and don't really look long term do you?

I know i look back a regret not putting in the effort in and took another path, but i look amongst my mates and I'm doing very well compared to some much my academic than me, and one of the daftest twats amongst us is probably doing one of the best in life. I don't think doing well academically always gives you the best future...although its a lot harder to get jobs these days.
So what's a 10!
It means he bairn is probably a lair!

My eldest caught the last of the A-F 2 years ago

Some how wangled 9 A* and a reckless A in Art

No idea where the brains come.from cos ita not me or her mam.

I don't think she is that bright but very good at doing Exams and knowing what they are looking for

Mine is just starting in year 10 in September, we had a parents meeting last year where we had the new system explained and it was mind blowing what is involved. In some subjects year 9 and 10 is teaching the syllabus and 11 is how to pass an exam

Sex, drugs and rock and roll! At that age you just want to enjoy yourself and don't really look long term do you?

I know i look back a regret not putting in the effort in and took another path, but i look amongst my mates and I'm doing very well compared to some much my academic than me, and one of the daftest twats amongst us is probably doing one of the best in life. I don't think doing well academically always gives you the best future...although its a lot harder to get jobs these days.

It means he bairn is probably a lair!

It means he got 10 results. Not that he got a 10.

Tears on the way down in the car and tears when she got her results -she did well though: two 7s six 6s and two 5s.
I could never (still can’t 30 years later) understand the kids who weren’t bothered about them. Of course you had the top stream who were destined for academia, to whom anything less than 10 was failure and you had the thick kids who could barely hold a pen, and were destined to be bus drivers.
But there was a whole swathe of middling kids who just didn’t seem to try particularly hard and were happy getting 2 or 3.
Why wouldn’t you want to give yourself the best possible chance in life?
A lot don't see the significance at that age, or they've had it rammed down their throats for so long, they become desensitised to it and are happy just to coast.

Last edited by a moderator:
It only goes to 9, so extremely impressive!
7 = A
8 = A*
9 = A**

FFS man, just make an "A" the hardest to get, its all bonkers.
And only us could create a system "out of 9"
A** my friend's son has got 3 of them and is in top 3% in the country pretty impressive
When A* first came out in about 1995, it was supposed to be to make it really clear who the top 1% was.
Then it became 5%
Then it became a fairly standard result, and now they've had to create an A**. Why not just not fuck up the system in the first place so that they didn't need to add stars to letters. Its bloody stupid.

Last edited:
My lad go 7,8s and some 6's last year, was giving it the big un, he's now doing A-levels, he's not so cocky now, that said, its the maths he's finding hard, no help here, I was shit at maths.

Mine is just starting in year 10 in September, we had a parents meeting last year where we had the new system explained and it was mind blowing what is involved. In some subjects year 9 and 10 is teaching the syllabus and 11 is how to pass an exam

My daughter done hers last year mate, they explained it to us and because it was the first year of the new grading system they essentially had to squeeze 3 years into 2...

Used to take your options then have 2 years schooling before gcse's. Then it was changed to 3. The bairn and all the other kids of her age had to change midway to incorporate the new system which I thought was really unfair on them.. the bairn done ok but was expecting better, I'm sure there are lots of kids in the same boat from 2018.

Thing is how do you explain to an employer that you were in the first year of the changeover and what that meant for people of that age! Also if there's a kid a year older sat with A's and B's as opposed to 5's, 6's, and 7''s who do you think they are going to go with...

Hard enough time for the kids anyway without moving goal posts on them Galway through...

However well done to all getting results today... I found it hard just to turn up for mine so if you've got a grade well done...

Back