GCSE Results

Ha’way SAFC_Jack’s brother.👍🏻
He got ten more than me, but I’m 53 on Saturday so my academic years are well behind me!

I could never (still can’t 30 years later) understand the kids who weren’t bothered about them. Of course you had the top stream who were destined for academia, to whom anything less than 10 was failure and you had the thick kids who could barely hold a pen, and were destined to be bus drivers.
But there was a whole swathe of middling kids who just didn’t seem to try particularly hard and were happy getting 2 or 3.
Why wouldn’t you want to give yourself the best possible chance in life?

Another thing - when I was at school, A grades were pretty rare. The only people who got them ended up doing PhDs and being lecturers or captains of industry.
Nowadays you see loads of kids announcing not only ‘A’s but A* grades.

I could never (still can’t 30 years later) understand the kids who weren’t bothered about them. Of course you had the top stream who were destined for academia, to whom anything less than 10 was failure and you had the thick kids who could barely hold a pen, and were destined to be bus drivers.
But there was a whole swathe of middling kids who just didn’t seem to try particularly hard and were happy getting 2 or 3.
Why wouldn’t you want to give yourself the best possible chance in life?
I was in the 2 or 3 bracket.

I wasn’t academic by nature, hence why I never put a whole load of effort in.

I’m pleased with how I turned out.

Me youngest has just gone to get hers. I wasn't wanted at the school like, she's meeting me in town soon.

I obviously hope she does well but whatever she gets she put a lot of time and effort in and I'm proud of her for that.

The pressure on them was immense mind, much more than I remember 20 odd years ago. The exam schedule was relentless, we had plenty tears.

People who left school and got jobs had money when the students didn’t, then they all graduated and got better jobs. But 30 years later and there’s little difference salary wise between someone who left school at 16 and someone who went to uni.

Back