Gareth Thomas rugby player hiv positive

Status
Not open for further replies.
And, as Reiver was probably getting at, riddled with a disease that a lot of people misunderstand and are terrified of. Which ironically if Reiver had read the articles on Thomas properly would understand its that element of HIV he is trying to educate others about.

He had no intention of educating people though.
He was forced to come out and with everything in his life it’s the Gareth Thomas pity show.

A good close friend of mine has gone through a similar situation in a number of ways. I suppose it’s very different but Thomas comes across like a right self pitying tit.
Has to be said though, the OP had a hidden agenda with this post. Trying now to come out of it without too much damage.

Last edited:

I don’t think it needs context, a contrary position or a rebuttal.

You’re just being an attention seeker.

I'm not and, I have to say, I'm quite surprised at the reaction to the OP.

It seems some people are incapable of being rational and actually reading the words in the post.

It's blatantly obvious what I'm saying but some people see a gay man mentioned and refuse to accept the slightest criticism in any other way than bigotry.
And, as Reiver was probably getting at, riddled with a disease that a lot of people misunderstand and are terrified of.

Which ironically if Reiver had read the articles on Thomas properly would understand its that element of HIV he is trying to educate others about.

Ironically you haven't read the OP properly :rolleyes:

Last edited:

It seems some people are incapable of being rational and actually reading the words in the post.

It's blatantly obvious what I'm saying but some people see a gay man mentioned and refuse to accept the slightest criticism in any other way than bigotry.

Why should people distance themselves from him? You haven’t made that clear at all and I’m not the only one on this thread that thinks that.

Why should people distance themselves from him? You haven’t made that clear at all and I’m not the only one on this thread that thinks that.

Other people missing the point doesn't prove your point, althiugh you haven't made it clear what point you're trying to make.

I suspect you're simply being disagreeable, as usual, and that the only interest in the thread is the OP.

You're well known for latching onto anyone having a pop at me, just as you're doing here.

Reactions: Nig
... may be doing more harm than good.

He's about to appear on the BBC News with another tearful display claiming he wishes to 'empower people'.

Whatever his cause, whether I believed in it or not, I'd be thinking of distancing myself from him.

The concept that bursting into tears makes someone a hero is really starting to wear a bit thin.
Brave bloke (yet again) imo...

Always been a tool you, lad :oops:

I'd like to think he might be able to clear up some misconceptions about the virus, rather than it being a fly on the wall documentary.

When there was no cure for HIV we were bombarded with "Aids - don't die of ignorance" media messages, which still resonates with older generations.

Nowadays, HIV can be treated and controlled to the point where people who have contracted it can carry on with their everyday lives and have a normal life expectancy.

It's a hell of an achievement by medical science and definitely deserves some public awareness.

You have a pretty well established reputation on here for being an attention seeker do you not?

I still don’t understand the OP at all to be honest

What I'm saying is that, whatever the cause, I wouldn't want someone like him as a 'representative' or focal point.

The fact that he's gay has abolsolutely nothing to do with it.

I don't believe he represents his cause particularly well and he doesn't seem well equipped to handle the pressure it's putting him under.

Rather than empowering people I feel he alienates people and that will become more evident as time goes by.

Whatever the cause I believe people ultimately want someone who doesn't 'play the victim' too often and too readily.

And, as I made clear in the OP, this has nothing to do with the fact that this is a gay/HIV issue.

People throwing 'bigotry' at anyone criticising a gay person, in any way, show themselves to be seriously narrow minded.

Being gay doesn't automatically make you except from criticism or comment.
Brave bloke (yet again) imo...

Always been a tool you, lad :oops:

And you've always been a hypocrite and attention seeker ....

Last edited:
What I'm saying is that, whatever the cause, I wouldn't want someone like him as a 'representative' or focal point.

The fact that he's gay has abolsolutely nothing to do with it.

I don't believe he represents his cause particularly well and he doesn't seem well equipped to handle the pressure it's putting him under.

Rather than empowering people I feel he alienates people and that will become more evident as time goes by.

Whatever the cause I believe people ultimately want someone who doesn't 'play the victim' too often and too readily.

And, as I made clear in the OP, this has nothing to do with the fact that this is a gay/HIV issue.

People throwing 'bigotry' at anyone criticising a gay person, in any way, show themselves to be seriously narrow minded.

Being gay doesn't automatically make you except from criticism or comment.
Ok, but I’m struggling with the “cause” bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back