Gareth Ainsworth

I’ve changed my opinion on him after looking a bit closer at his achievements at WWFC and reading various quotes from him before and after the play off final

Seems like a likeable fella. I was judging him on his eccentricities, and maybe also on his team’s style of football which is obviously only a small part of the picture

To be honest, the game needs more characters like that. People love Ian Holloway, not because he's a good manager, but because he's mad as a box of frogs.

The thing is, and this is a mistake we have made before, because a Manager work wonders when he has a small budget does not mean he will do as good with a bigger budget. Some people just work better in those situations.
in the same way as Managers with big budget could not work on a small budget.

Nathan Jones was all at sea just moving from Luton to Stoke. Sometimes managers just fit clubs.
Aye, right.

It's very weird how chairman down these parts are absolute gobshites. Peterborough, Accrington, Wycombe, Lincoln - there's a fair few.

You just don't see this in the Premier League do you? The Man City gaffers opening up their traps to slate Chelsea, or whatever.

Small-time schmucks. A bit like we had, before start of season tbf. Another thing not to miss about this league.

Andy Holt's said nice things about us more often than not. Was very impressed by KLD when he met him.

Last edited:
I was hoping we'd seen the last of him tbh.

Yes, he has done a really good job over a sustained period of time. Let's not pretend he has done it through anything other than horrible, shithousing football with players who get up to all sorts of tricks to con the ref and spoil the game. That might be what was needed at Wycombe to get them where they are now, but just because he said some nice things on Saturday - he regularly said nice things about us while his teams kicked us all over the park - doesn't mean I ever want to see him playing against us tbh.

I was hoping we'd seen the last of him tbh.

Yes, he has done a really good job over a sustained period of time. Let's not pretend he has done it through anything other than horrible, shithousing football with players who get up to all sorts of tricks to con the ref and spoil the game. That might be what was needed at Wycombe to get them where they are now, but just because he said some nice things on Saturday - he regularly said nice things about us while his teams kicked us all over the park - doesn't mean I ever want to see him playing against us tbh.
Proper daft bitter post this. :lol:

The thing is, and this is a mistake we have made before, because a Manager work wonders when he has a small budget does not mean he will do as good with a bigger budget. Some people just work better in those situations.
in the same way as Managers with big budget could not work on a small budget.
that really is a lesson of life

People criticise the way Wycombe play, but I often wonder is it the manager or is it just the squad he has at his disposal.

If he leaves to join QPR, I wonder if the shithousery will follow.

I do like Ainsworth to be fair, seems like a really good lad.

If your a club with limitations, then he's probably the best option you can get. He seems very suited to League One tho and would wonder if he could do it at Championship level, his Wycombe side and their style certainly couldn't.

Aye, right.

It's very weird how chairman down these parts are absolute gobshites. Peterborough, Accrington, Wycombe, Lincoln - there's a fair few.

You just don't see this in the Premier League do you? The Man City gaffers opening up their traps to slate Chelsea, or whatever.

Small-time schmucks. A bit like we had, before start of season tbf. Another thing not to miss about this league.
Haven't heard much from the Accy chairman for a while.

It wasn’t a criticism of him, more an observation of how the world works. Appearance is everything
was not having a go at you, but just putting over a different point of view.

I appreciate you only get one chance at a first impression but most times, we need to look past that.

I do take your point mind.

Can he change his style of play? That will be the challenge as clubs like Blackburn and QPR won't relish watching that like the Wycombe fans do.

Back