Gannin Out Trainers?

I started going out '03 and everywhere in town was collared shirt/trousers/shoes at that point. It relaxed after a few years, but those early years in my late teens back then, you had no choice...
Some great times though, town was amazing back then as a young'un
When I first started going out (late 80s) it was chinos, polo shirts and some places didn't let you in if you weren't wearing a tie! f***ing ludicrous!

I started going out '03 and everywhere in town was collared shirt/trousers/shoes at that point. It relaxed after a few years, but those early years in my late teens back then, you had no choice...
Where did you start going out?

I started in Sunderland about 1990 and it was jeans, tee shirts and either DMs or trainers for me. Never really had an issue.

Yeah there were places that wouldn’t let me in, but they weren’t places I wanted to drink anyway.

Where did you start going out?

I started in Sunderland about 1990 and it was jeans, tee shirts and either DMs or trainers for me. Never really had an issue.

Yeah there were places that wouldn’t let me in, but they weren’t places I wanted to drink anyway.

Trying to rack my brain, but back then would have been the likes of bar:me, Modo, SR1, Boulevard... those "kind" of bars, basically where the lasses would be, before Beach

Sounds about right. The stick I got over those f***ing shoes :lol: a couple of years later everyone’s got them on
I used to love being told I looked like a devil or some cloved animal.
I'm 61 still wear red adidas trainers, hoddies & 501's
The only thing I wear which reflects my age are grandad shirts
Age is but a number my friend
Fair play. I'm not going to dress to some perceived style for my age.

This isn't you though is it? :lol:

Last edited:
Same ones I had. Had a couple of different colours after that too.
They'd let birds in with sandals yet no Air Rift was getting past the bouncers.

Still got a few pairs knocking about from 2000-2003….the originals are long gone!

Standout pair are Turbo Pink from 2003, worn once, might get them on for the match on Saturday!

Do I also remember denim jackets being “banned” and having to leave them at the bottom of the stairs in Gillespies if you wanted to get in…..the early 90’s fashion transition was crackers!

Still got a few pairs knocking about from 2000-2003….the originals are long gone!

Standout pair are Turbo Pink from 2003, worn once, might get them on for the match on Saturday!

Do I also remember denim jackets being “banned” and having to leave them at the bottom of the stairs in Gillespies if you wanted to get in…..the early 90’s fashion transition was crackers!
I have still got a pair of beige/orange ones in the loft but I think they were a present off one of the in-laws. Yeah I wore my first pairs till they fell apart. Loved Air Rifts, still do actually. I'm not sure about the Gillespies thing but I'm sure I was refused entry from somewhere for wearing a denim jacket. I also got refused entry from Idols for wearing an either a Dries Van Noten or Stone Island jumper, the bouncer said I looked like Bobby Thompson the f***ing moustached peasant!

I have still got a pair of beige/orange ones in the loft but I think they were a present off one of the in-laws. Yeah I wore my first pairs till they fell apart. Loved Air Rifts, still do actually. I'm not sure about the Gillespies thing but I'm sure I was refused entry from somewhere for wearing a denim jacket. I also got refused entry from Idols for wearing an either a Dries Van Noten or Stone Island jumper, the bouncer said I looked like Bobby Thompson the f***ing moustached peasant!
:lol:

:)

Yeh about 2000-2002ish, nightclubs still demanded shoes. Xmas doo at digital iirc, newcastle. Showed this mad, massivr geordie named Bri the hartlepool trick of putting yer black socks over your trainers.

Walking in…

bouncer “your not coming in mate”
Bri “why not leek”
Bouncer “cod youve got a pair of f***ing trainers on with docks pulled over”

😂

I remember going out in shoes with black trousers or dark jeans and black boots around the millenia just to get into the decent bars and nightclubs. Cruise in Newcastle got most of my wages. Changed around 2002 I think when I recall wearing Asics Onitsuka Tigers from Gate with light bootcut jeans and a t.shirt from Eleven with a woman pulling a bunch of beads out of her yawning hippo on the front. You could only really tell up close. Loved that tee. Anyway, I would say everywhere including nightclubs was maybe back end of 02.

Last edited:
I remember going out in shoes with black trousers or dark jeans and black boots around the millenia just to get into the decent bars and nightclubs. Cruise in Newcastle got most of my wages. Changed around 2002 I think when I recall wearing Asics Onitsuka Tigers from Gate with light bootcut jeans and a t.shirt from Eleven with a woman pulling a bunch of beads out of her yawning hippo on the front. You could only really tell up close. Loved that tee. Anyway, I would say everywhere including nightclubs was maybe back end of 02.
Wtf are those places? :lol:

Blu Bambu and crap like that still required shoes 2003. Imagine wearing shoes Toma shit tip like that or Baja now though.

Back