Game of Thrones season 8

The show was the biggest thing out there, and there were at least 2 possible spin offs.
Absolutely nobody wanted the show wrapping up quickly.

Yes, I'm still annoyed :lol:

Kinda a perfect circle for him though. Men always get caught out by the pretty girl. Stopped thinking with his brain.

I do wonder how it would stack up as a proper binge box set, rather than almost forgetting the story from one season to the next.
Oh, and in full 4k HDR anarl.

It's often on Sky Atlantic in 4 or 5 episode blocks. Earlier this year or maybe last year, they were doing the whole series. Friday Saturday and Sunday nights, 4 or 5 episodes a time. Sometimes I'd put one on and end up there for hours. I will rewatch it binge style but haven't done so yet. I found myself noticing things that seemed insignificant at the time but once you know what happens you realise they're very important but small details

It's often on Sky Atlantic in 4 or 5 episode blocks. Earlier this year or maybe last year, they were doing the whole series. Friday Saturday and Sunday nights, 4 or 5 episodes a time. Sometimes I'd put one on and end up there for hours. I will rewatch it binge style but haven't done so yet. I found myself noticing things that seemed insignificant at the time but once you know what happens you realise they're very important but small details
Its those small details that you totally forget when its 3 seasons, and 4 years later.

Its those small details that you totally forget when its 3 seasons, and 4 years later.
Exactly.
Was a good line in the episode where Jamie goes to kill Olenna Tyrell, and she mentions Cersei. Then says to Jamie "she'll be the death of you, that woman". Turns out true.

The end of Jaime's plotline was one of the most disappointing for me. He had a good story arc with redemption within his grasp but they seemed to bin off any idea of him evolving and had him scurry back to Cersei like her lapdog. Thought his scenes with Brienne had much more emotional resonance.

I do wonder how it would stack up as a proper binge box set, rather than almost forgetting the story from one season to the next.
Oh, and in full 4k HDR anarl.
I think it makes it a lot better, especially if like us you hadn't read the books or watched any of the thrones cast stuff.
When I watched the last few series the first time It'd been so long I didn't get most of the nods to the early seasons.
e.g. Little Finger was a lot more important than I had remembered.
But there is some nonsense in it, I think they could have done without a lot of the Iron Islands content / the religious fanatic stuff (they were a few lads with clubs - why didn't they just kill them all).
And the scene in Dorne when Jamie and Bron enter the palace is the worst scene in the whole show I think.
Some great characters in it. All the main Lannister characters are brilliant imo.

I think it makes it a lot better, especially if like us you hadn't read the books or watched any of the thrones cast stuff.
When I watched the last few series the first time It'd been so long I didn't get most of the nods to the early seasons.
e.g. Little Finger was a lot more important than I had remembered.
But there is some nonsense in it, I think they could have done without a lot of the Iron Islands content / the religious fanatic stuff (they were a few lads with clubs - why didn't they just kill them all).
And the scene in Dorne when Jamie and Bron enter the palace is the worst scene in the whole show I think.
Some great characters in it. All the main Lannister characters are brilliant imo.
Books are still worth reading, there are quite a lot of differences between the books and the TV show. There is no Night King for example, at least not yet, although he may appear in The Winds of Winter which is the next book. Martin may have told the producers of the TV about him maybe.

Books are still worth reading, there are quite a lot of differences between the books and the TV show. There is no Night King for example, at least not yet, although he may appear in The Winds of Winter which is the next book. Martin may have told the producers of the TV about him maybe.
The books nearly killed me.
Seriously.

I had them on audio book when I was driving to/from Prudhoe doing 12hr days/nights. After the 2nd time they sent me to sleep at 7.30am on my way home, I stopped and put music on instead.

Next time I went for audiobooks in the car, I went for Discworld. Never fell asleep to them.

For anyone debating the books they're canny like, and I'm not a fantasy fan at all tbh.

Although it's worth mentioning we'll almost definitely not get an ending and I don't think he's given approval to have a ghost writer finish then if/when Martin pops his clogs (which realistically will probably be soon)

There's also the other story of Griff and that kid he's looking after.

The books nearly killed me.
Seriously.

I had them on audio book when I was driving to/from Prudhoe doing 12hr days/nights. After the 2nd time they sent me to sleep at 7.30am on my way home, I stopped and put music on instead.

Next time I went for audiobooks in the car, I went for Discworld. Never fell asleep to them.
Dance of Dragons was a slog. Feast of Crows too for that matter. The amount of characters, settings, and story lines were getting far too many. Glad Discworld saved your life 👍

10 years since Dance with Dragons came out....God that's depressing :lol: :lol:
we're never getting an ending from George RR Martin, 50/50 we ever see winds of winter imo.

also as for the show, loved it, liked the last season but felt it needed another episode of two to let storylines flesh out.
can see what they were going for with a lot of the characters but a lot of the issues were that they rushed there plot threads.
I genuinely had no issue with Daenarys descent into mad queen, but it would have come off better with more time/scenes

personally think we could have done with a mini season on just the night king story and a season on the screen storyline.
I'd have probably done 4 episodes on Cersei attacking the North for season 8, whilst the night king was amassing his army from the wall.
then done season 9 with the long night - with all sides that were left from battling cersei taking on the night king, open up with the battle of winterfell, lose, and retreat South ending in a battle at kings landing.

we're never getting an ending from George RR Martin, 50/50 we ever see winds of winter imo.

also as for the show, loved it, liked the last season but felt it needed another episode of two to let storylines flesh out.
can see what they were going for with a lot of the characters but a lot of the issues were that they rushed there plot threads.
I genuinely had no issue with Daenarys descent into mad queen, but it would have come off better with more time/scenes

personally think we could have done with a mini season on just the night king story and a season on the screen storyline.
I'd have probably done 4 episodes on Cersei attacking the North for season 8, whilst the night king was amassing his army from the wall.
then done season 9 with the long night - with all sides that were left from battling cersei taking on the night king, open up with the battle of winterfell, lose, and retreat South ending in a battle at kings landing.
He'll probably die and then another author will be given his manuscripts to make a few books out of. Like what happened to Robert Jordan. Last thing I read said Autumn 2023 for Winds of Winter which tbh is unbelievable.

WOW must be nearly ready, must be 15 'teaser' chapters that have been available for years already.

Fantasy genre has loads of writers who seem to be unable or unwilling to finish off their book series

rothfuss and lynch are others who have had 5+ years in the wilderness

I think they managed to fuck the whole thing up in that last season. David Benioff Crossroads and that other one should be on the dole imo.

Also, the less said about Daenerys plunging into insanity the better. It was possibly even less convincing than Anakin Skywalker's in the Star Wars prequels.

The end of Jaime's plotline was one of the most disappointing for me. He had a good story arc with redemption within his grasp but they seemed to bin off any idea of him evolving and had him scurry back to Cersei like her lapdog. Thought his scenes with Brienne had much more emotional resonance.
Good shout.
Tough decision though for such a good looking bastard to either end up with the giant woman-knight or his sister. But you’re right. Yet another story arc completely bungled.

I think the Hound V the Mountain was a good ending. Too bad he didn’t make it to survival but some of them had to go and he was so full of anger and self hatred it was a fitting way to go.

Back