Game- Changing Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charlie Brooker did a 2 hour doc years ago on this subject. Obviously alot more detailed being 2 hours long but he's absolutely right. Each of the games he discussed brought something entirely new to the gaming world

Games featured were; Pong, Space Invaders, Pac Man, Tetris, Super Mario Bros, Parappa the Rapper, Mortal Kombat, Starcraft, Tomb Raider, The Sims, GTA (any of them) World of Warcraft, Call of Duty 4, Wii Sports and erm... Papers, Please (as said before there's a reason it was listed)

It's not about what your favourite game in the past was, Tomb Raider is iconic because it featured the first ever front cover female superhero type character.
Tetris is owned by Vladimir Putin, or whoever becomes President after him.

That's the definition of a "game changing" game.

If I had to narrow it down to just 3 out of that list it'd probably be Pong, the first ever game to be featured on TV during 1 of Bruce Forsyth's shows, Space Invaders for the big arcade gaming boom and Starcraft, nowadays we live in a society where we watch others play games on YouTube or Twitch, people in Korea been doing that since the 90's and it'd feature on National TV over there.
Would Metroid not be the first female? I guess that was more a thing at the end rather than straight away.

Think you might wanna re-check those facts.
Pajitvnow was the creator who gave the rights to Gorbachev, who was USSR President at the time, who made a deal with Atari to publish the game, but then behind Atari's back made a publishing deal with Rogers who was on behalf of Nintendo, leaving Atari shafted they've just published millions of copies for a game they don't have a license for although a contract was signed but the USSR was so powerful Atari basically had to bend over and take it.
Him and Rogers bought the license in the early 00s. It was owned by the Soviet Union in the past, however.

Would Metroid not be the first female? I guess that was more a thing at the end rather than straight away.

I actually never knew til you've pointed it out that Samus is a female :D I see your point but if you were asked to name a game where the front cover superhero is female, a very high % of people would say Tomb Raider, that's kinda the point Charlie Brooker was making.

Same goes with World of Warcraft, you had Everquest, EVE Online etc. But if you went on Family Fortunes and Les Dennis asked you to name an MMORPG game, I'm pretty sure WoW would be top answer :D

Last edited:
I actually never knew til you've pointed it out that Samus is a female :D I see your point but if you were asked to name a game where the front cover superhero is female, a very high % of people would say Tomb Raider, that's kinda the point Charlie Brooker was making.
If you get through Super quick enough she gets down to her undies in the end credits. Naughty Nintendo. :lol:

Mortal Kombat has to be one. It changed the rules and regulations within the gaming industry.

I’d also say sonic because it was responsible for breaking a Nintendo dominated market.

There should be a tycoon/manager type on the list.

ET was responsible for the first video game crash.

GTA3 would be the most modern one that changed gaming.

Maybe doom for the first person shooter

I could talk about retro games all day.

Mario on nes was the first thing I'd ever had in the house that was like the arcades.

GTA when it went 3d after top down perspective.

Fifa when first played online.

Silent hill was the first game that genuinely made me shit my pants.

Can't watch the video at work, but i'd like to think that I could guess whats on there.

ultima - the original RPG
doom/wolfenstien 3d - original FPS
mario bros - resurrected the whole games industry
tetris - made handheld games mainstream
pacman - the first video game 'character'; recognisable by non games players
space invaders - first high scores table & competitive gaming
dune - first popular RTS
wii sports - gaming for the masses

Not having that like. :lol:

They were bundled in with devices because they wouldn't sell as well as other games on those systems that were sold separately.
Still gets played in my house now. It was bundled because it was the ultimate casual game; anyone could have a crack as the controls were so intuitive.

Still gets played in my house now. It was bundled because it was the ultimate casual game; anyone could have a crack as the controls were so intuitive.
If they they would have sold better than other games available at the time something else would have been bundled.

I'm not saying they are shit btw, both cracking games. I'd argue tetris is up there with the best games ever given its simplicity and replayability.

If they they would have sold better than other games available at the time something else would have been bundled.

I'm not saying they are shit btw, both cracking games. I'd argue tetris is up there with the best games ever given its simplicity and replayability.
I prefer think it was the other way around. They bundled it to boost the sales of the console and it worked so well they made another game to bundle a couple of years down the line. I think they even managed to convince people to buy new controllers for the second game didn't they?

I prefer think it was the other way around. They bundled it to boost the sales of the console and it worked so well they made another game to bundle a couple of years down the line. I think they even managed to convince people to buy new controllers for the second game didn't they?
Back when the game boy came out bundled games were the norm. Something like super mario land would have been the obvious choice for a bundle but they knew most people would buy it separately.

The switch really needed a game bundled game because of the controllers were so out there compared to what came before. There were only a couple of options, it could have been wiiplay I guess but they made the right call.

Surprised 1-2 switch didn't get bundled tbh.

Back when the game boy came out bundled games were the norm. Something like super mario land would have been the obvious choice for a bundle but they knew most people would buy it separately.

The switch really needed a game bundled game because of the controllers were so out there compared to what came before. There were only a couple of options, it could have been wiiplay I guess but they made the right call.

Surprised 1-2 switch didn't get bundled tbh.
Class game. I reckon it's the main reason I have bad eyes now :lol:

I believe Tetris is the biggest selling game of all time, mate.
You are wrong (it's #2). ;)

It was bundled into about 30 million gameboys, and a lot of people (myself included) have bought it on other platforms over the years off the back of that introduction. I don't think it would have been the phenomenon it was without that introducion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back