Game- Changing Games

Dull and unimaginative list that.

Dull and unimaginative list that.
Tetris should be on there. It's the only game I know that still sells like crazy each new iteration with almost zero changes whatsoever. :lol: It's not often a game is perfect from its initial iteration. (And I'm usually one of the first ones to buy each new effort. :lol: )

Last edited by a moderator:
Pong & Tetris far more influential than any of those.

In gaming history absolutely.

To me those ones were game changers. PlayStation 1 was a huge leap from the 2d games I'd had previously on sega/Nintendo and tomb raider was the first game I had on that.

Gta 3 was like a whole new level on ps2

Skyrim was the first real RPG I played and is still one of the greatest games every made

Witcher 3 is THE greatest game ever made

Doom was probably one of the biggest game changers.

Tomb Raider rightly in there

I'd say Everquest was a bigger changer than WoW as it was out long before it and paved the way for all those types of games that came after. Probably THE biggest game changer for me, it was brilliant. Full on 3d go and do wtf you like and build your character up with friends or solo. It was also so unforgiving and didnt hold your hand. If you died, you lost all your gear unless you could get it back. Made adventuring f***ing nervous as fuck, especially in the really hard zones where you had to take in like 30 people just to have a chance.

The others on the list are pretty spot on - Space Invaders, Pacman, etc..etc.. Those were more of the original lot tho bringing gaming into peoples lives.

Last edited:
Wish I'd made it to the video games museum before they moved it out of Nottingham but never got round to it.

I'd actually argue that there's (unfortunately since I f***ing hate this whole in-app purchases shite) an arguable space on the list for something like Candy Crush Saga just in terms of how it opened up the idea of gaming to a much wider audience and unfortunately popularised the whole microtransactions idea of mobile gaming. Might not fit the "gaming" stereotype but the userbase for mobile gaming is huge.
Likewise I'd probably put Wii Sports on there again for how it progressed the idea of different control methods for gaming, and Pokemon Go for popularising augmented reality gaming (at one point there must have been 75 people on our local park playing it when it was at its peak).

The traditional games I'd put on there would be Civilisation and the Final Fantasy series. Also possibly something like the 7th Guest for the technological leaps it made when it was released - although obviously it's dated very badly these days.

This I was right on with the agree until Minecraft at the end. I feel that Minecraft took gaming back from a progression even if it did bring in a new generation of young gamers.

Haven't watched the video but game changing games for me are Tomb Raider 1, GTA3, Skyrim & The Witcher

Tomb Raider no doubt was a game changer, I think that GTA 3 switching from a top down view to a more 3d based view was right on the money as well, I just think that Skyrim and The Witcher weren't as groundbreaking in comparison (although they are amazing games and both in my top 10 all time).

Last edited:
This I was right on with the agree until Minecraft at the end. I feel that Minecraft took gaming back from a progression even if it did bring in a new generation of young gamers.

Tomb Raider no doubt was a game changer, I think that GTA 3 switching from a top down view to a more 3d based view was right on the money as well, I just think that Skyrim and The Witcher weren't as groundbreaking in comparison (although they are amazing games and both in my top 10 all time).

Skyrim was a game changer for me as it was my first proper RPG which massively influence the direction I went with games afterwards.

TW3 then set a standard that makes 99% of games appear shite.

Gta 3 was like a whole new level on ps2

Skyrim was the first real RPG I played and is still one of the greatest games every made

Witcher 3 is THE greatest game ever made

all three, utter crap imo.

at least skyrim and witcher i got a bit hooked on for a week or acouple befor ei reliased i couldnt give less of a fuck about any of it and had found most of it dull as fuck whilst being addicted to going through the motions.

gta evereything but the original was just utter shite.

IMHO

Can't watch it on my gen 1 iPad. What is the list?

Any space on there for Afterburner, Operation Wolf, Chase HQ, OutRun, Gauntlet, Comanche or Populous?

here comes someone with decent taste in games.

operation wolf, still the best FPS ever made

Last edited:
Charlie Brooker did a 2 hour doc years ago on this subject. Obviously alot more detailed being 2 hours long but he's absolutely right. Each of the games he discussed brought something entirely new to the gaming world

Games featured were; Pong, Space Invaders, Pac Man, Tetris, Super Mario Bros, Parappa the Rapper, Mortal Kombat, Starcraft, Tomb Raider, The Sims, GTA (any of them) World of Warcraft, Call of Duty 4, Wii Sports and erm... Papers, Please (as said before there's a reason it was listed)

It's not about what your favourite game in the past was, Tomb Raider is iconic because it featured the first ever front cover female superhero type character.
Tetris is owned by Vladimir Putin, or whoever becomes President after him.

That's the definition of a "game changing" game.

If I had to narrow it down to just 3 out of that list it'd probably be Pong, the first ever game to be featured on TV during 1 of Bruce Forsyth's shows, Space Invaders for the big arcade gaming boom and Starcraft, nowadays we live in a society where we watch others play games on YouTube or Twitch, people in Korea been doing that since the 90's and it'd feature on National TV over there.

Last edited:
Charlie Brooker did a 2 hour doc years ago on this subject. Obviously alot more detailed being 2 hours long but he's absolutely right. Each of the games he discussed brought something entirely new to the gaming world

Games featured were; Pong, Space Invaders, Pac Man, Tetris, Super Mario Bros, Parappa the Rapper, Mortal Kombat, Starcraft, Tomb Raider, The Sims, GTA (any of them) World of Warcraft, Call of Duty 4, Wii Sports and erm... Papers, Please (as said before there's a reason it was listed)

It's not about what your favourite game in the past was, Tomb Raider is iconic because it featured the first ever front cover female superhero type character.
Tetris is owned by Vladimir Putin, or whoever becomes President after him.

That's the definition of a "game changing" game.

If I had to narrow it down to just 3 out of that list it'd probably be Pong, the first ever game to be featured on TV during 1 of Bruce Forsyth's shows, Space Invaders for the big arcade gaming boom and Starcraft, nowadays we live in a society where we watch others play games on YouTube or Twitch, people in Korea been doing that since the 90's and it'd feature on National TV over there.
Henk Rogers and Alexei Pajitnov own the rights to Tetris.

Skipped through it so maybe missed it but no Super Mario 64 or Zelda: OoT is just flat out wrong.

Doom is another big one, these 3 games inspired many which came after.

Last edited:
Henk Rogers and Alexei Pajitnov own the rights to Tetris.

Think you might wanna re-check those facts.
Pajitvnow was the creator who gave the rights to Gorbachev, who was USSR President at the time, who made a deal with Atari to publish the game, but then behind Atari's back made a publishing deal with Rogers who was on behalf of Nintendo, leaving Atari shafted they've just published millions of copies for a game they don't have a license for although a contract was signed but the USSR was so powerful Atari basically had to bend over and take it.

Back