Gaining muscle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't a 'dirty bulk' have a detrimental effect on your health in regards to cholesterol , salt and sugar levels saturated fats etc

Wouldn't a 'dirty bulk' have a detrimental effect on your health in regards to cholesterol , salt and sugar levels saturated fats etc

If prolonged, yes.

Not just that, but also your p ratio. Whilst I agree that eating an extra hundred calories or two is better than edging too close to maintenance, I think people take it too far. For example, 1lb gain per week translates to over 50lbs gained in a year. How much of that will be muscle? Well, it depends on training status, programming, nutrition, genetics, drugs etc, but in most intermediate trainees, a small fraction will be lean tissue. I prefer longer, leaner bulks personally (2lbs per month given same intermediate status).

A lot of drug free people prefer year plus bulks with the odd mini cut, because they know they aren't going to gain much muscle when they've been training correctly for a good few years (Alberto Nunez springs to mind)

When I've lost my beer belly and excess weight would you be able to provide a sample meal/macro plan for bulking up without getting porky please? I'll make another donation to your fundraising of course (was it enough last time)? PM me if this needs to be off board. Cheers.

Sure mate, but for us to get it nailed down... what I do with my members is take their body fat every two weeks, if they put on too much (and have perfectly followed their macro and calorie intake) then I drop the calories down, by whatever amount of fat they have gained. So sometimes the first month can be a bit frustrating in regards to progress. I always set the calories to cautios amount at the start and then ramp it up if needs be. I know this by the body fat slightly increasing/decreasing or staying the same and their weight going up (muscle mass increase)

So.... I'd need you to get a skin fold calliper measurements every 2 weeks as of when I issue you your calories. This allows us to get it nailed on. For example right now I'll set your calories as to what I calcualte and you tell me what energy expenditure you use on a daily basis, but your meaning of working hard at the gym and my meaning may be completely way off. Say if you do manual labour... brick layer... I dont know if your work like a spartan or if you're a lazy work shy fuck :lol: This can be the difference in getting those extra few 100+ calories in to make your body grow, or putting on too much fat.

So over a few weeks of monitorting your body fat and weight I can get the correct calories nailed on.

A dirty bulk Guarentees maximum amount of muscle growth ( the body can only build so much muscle, and requires so many calories to do so, anything surplus spills over to fat)
A clean bulk allows you to gain exactly the same amount of muscle as a dirty bulk, if you eat the right amount. Working out what the right amount is the hard part though.

It gets more complicated when you have to eat back your calories , say my clean bulk is 3100 calories, which includes daily work life and one intense gym session. If I play football and exert 500 calories I then need to eat 500 calories extra of carbohydrates, taking my total calorie intake to 3600. My Macros stay the same to 3100, then for the 500 extra I will have solely carbs (1g carb = 4 calories 500/ 4 = 125g of carbohydrates ) This is becuase my body needs 3100 cals in total to spend on bodily functions and creating new muscle, if I spend 500 of that 3100 on football that means my body is 500 short on calories to create new muscle. So you have to eat it back to grow, this is a mistake many lads make. Think about it how can the body create new tissue if its spent all proteins on energy expenditure. Again though the trick is working out how much calories you burned in football.... did you stand at the back and do fuck all, or did you play CM and run around crazy.

I'm trying a clean bulk atm, and I've fucked it up by over eating my calories solely becuase I've lost my body fat measurement twice in the last 6 weeks. Not a total disaster I just wanted to try stay real lean throughout. I'm trying a new thing at the minute called cyclical bulking which is 6 weeks bulk, 2 weeks cut.... there it a load of science behind it that I'm not toally clued up on it..... but basically your body last 6 weeks max in muscle building mode, then it enters fat burning mode, so thats wheyn you cut. The body then stays in fat burning mode for 2 weeks then enters muscle building mode, so you start to bulk again. I honestly don't know if this is bullshit or not but I like to test these kind of things on myself before I let my clients.

So aye inbox me yoru stats if your willing to do the whole body fat thing :)

p.s f8ck spelling checking this, was in a hurry.

So aye inbox me yoru stats if your willing to do the whole body fat thing :)

p.s f8ck spelling checking this, was in a hurry.

Thanks a lot for the very detailed reply, it must have taken a while to post and I appreciate it.

I'm not sure if I'd be able to monitor the variables to the level of detail that you'd require. I took a boditrax measurement last month for body composition and I was aiming to do this monthly or every 2 months. I'm at about 18% body fat and I aim to increase muscle mass.

Your strategy makes sense but it seems to be difficult to gauge exactly how many calories are consumed and what sort of surplus/deficit I'd need.

I also don't fancy having to 'switch' into different modes depending on what my body shape aim is. I might see how I get on over the next 6 months and take a simple approach of if I get too emaciated I'll add 100 daily calories and if I start to get a spare tyre again I'll deduct 100 cals.

Cheers mate for the time you spend on helping out myself and others on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back