Gaining muscle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuri

Midfield
I've just joined the gym and looking to add muscle and weight. Just tired of being skinny really so has anyone got any good guides for this?

I've lost a bit of timber around the belly but now want to add muscle mass in the right places.

How do you ensure that the calorific surplus goes onto your guns and not your girth? Is it what you eat that matters? I.e. more protein and 'good' fat? What sort of macros would that be?

google German Volume Training

As a novice? You must be kidding, right?

I've lost a bit of timber around the belly but now want to add muscle mass in the right places.

How do you ensure that the calorific surplus goes onto your guns and not your girth? Is it what you eat that matters? I.e. more protein and 'good' fat? What sort of macros would that be?

You can't. If you want to avoid putting fat on you just need to have a lower than usual calorie surplus. You will still gain some fat though.

You can't. If you want to avoid putting fat on you just need to have a lower than usual calorie surplus. You will still gain some fat though.

OK thanks. How do you calculate it then based on BMR etc.?

If my BMR is e.g. 1700 cals and I'm training x3 times per week would I need to work out how many calories I'm burning through exercise? If typical TDEE is 2000 cals would I up the intake to e.g. 2100?

OK thanks. How do you calculate it then based on BMR etc.?

If my BMR is e.g. 1700 cals and I'm training x3 times per week would I need to work out how many calories I'm burning through exercise? If typical TDEE is 2000 cals would I up the intake to e.g. 2100?

If your TDEE is 2000kcal I'd say 2200kcal/day. 0.7-8g protein/lb body weight. 0.3-4g fat/lb of bodyweight. The rest in carbs.

:lol: why not? its a basic program.

Because a novice does not have the requisite conditioning to undertake 10 sets of 10 repetitions at 50% of his as-yet-unestablished 1rm.

By set 4 onwards he'll be extremely fatigued, completing really shitty repetitions and learning bad form. So if he isn't injuring himself by doing these shitty repetitions he'll be picking up bad habits and setting himself up to get injured later.

It may be 'basic' in the sense that it's easy to understand what you're doing. But it really isn't suitable for inexperienced lifters.

Because a novice does not have the requisite conditioning to undertake 10 sets of 10 repetitions at 50% of his as-yet-unestablished 1rm.

By set 4 onwards he'll be extremely fatigued, completing really shitty repetitions and learning bad form. So if he isn't injuring himself by doing these shitty repetitions he'll be picking up bad habits and setting himself up to get injured later.

It may be 'basic' in the sense that it's easy to understand what you're doing. But it really isn't suitable for inexperienced lifters.
true I forget some people are completely new to it all. surely a 5x5 is way to much for a beginner as well though. especially 5 sets of squats.

true I forget some people are completely new to it all. surely a 5x5 is way to much for a beginner as well though. especially 5 sets of squats.

It isn't unless you start off daft and try to squat 5 sets of 5 at 100 for your first session. Squatting heavy-ish 3x a week is absolutely fine. Most people find they need to anyway to kick their appetite up and to improve their deadlift (deadlifting heavy more than once a week would be silly).

The programme, followed to the letter, dictates that you start off with an empty bar.

Yes that's probably too light for most people but the progression is so fast that you quickly find it getting harder but by that point you have a solid idea of form (provided you used those very light sessions to learn it). That's kind of the whole usp of 5x5 style training for beginners - it allows you to learn the lifts safely and at good rep ranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back