Free Masonry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told that you had to ask to join but you might be encouraged to ask, but they wouldn’t encourage you more than three times.

No idea if it’s true or not but I did have three mason mates tell me that I’d make a good mason in a very short period of time and never since. So who knows? (Well, actual masons probably know)

Anyway, I’ve been to their lodge a few times for a booze up and have had a nice tour each time. They’re canny lads and seem happy enough so each to their own.

The thing is about the expense is it is mostly under your own control. My annual subs are £105 which I pay off monthly, meetings are free to attend and you can visit any Lodge in the Country or indeed many parts of the world.
We dine after the meeting for £7 though many stay but don't eat, if you liked school dinners you'll love this. There will be a raffle maybe £3.
Your biggest expense will be how much you want to spend on the bar.
That’s cheap! Our dining fees are £17

You've got be invited to join. Much like striker status on here- I'm still waiting, and I'm not getting any younger btw.

You don’t have to be invited, you do need a proposer and seconded however a lot of Lodges will allow you to contact them and get to know the current officers of the lodge, who can then decide to propose / second you.

Gone are the days where you needed to know a Mason to be a Mason.

The thing is about the expense is it is mostly under your own control. My annual subs are £105 which I pay off monthly, meetings are free to attend and you can visit any Lodge in the Country or indeed many parts of the world.
We dine after the meeting for £7 though many stay but don't eat, if you liked school dinners you'll love this. There will be a raffle maybe £3.
Your biggest expense will be how much you want to spend on the bar.
So you pay 105 subs to give you the options to have a meal and a few jars?

So you pay 105 subs to give you the options to have a meal and a few jars?

When I was working away a lot I used to do a lot of visiting. You’d be sat in with a bunch of blokes you’ve never met, but they’d all want to talk to you and as a visitor you get a great welcome. Better than sitting in a pub eating / drinking on your own.

Strangest visit was to a lodge in the Valleys where they did the whole ceremony in Welsh, they weren’t supposed to if a non-welsh speaker was present, but I got there late.

When I was working away a lot I used to do a lot of visiting. You’d be sat in with a bunch of blokes you’ve never met, but they’d all want to talk to you and as a visitor you get a great welcome. Better than sitting in a pub eating / drinking on your own.

Strangest visit was to a lodge in the Valleys where they did the whole ceremony in Welsh, they weren’t supposed to if a non-welsh speaker was present, but I got there late.
The Lodges in Scotland are brilliant to visit, usually don't have much of a festive board but there's always plenty of whisky. The ceremonies are also very different.

Some idiot once booked our works Christmas dinner at the local Freemason's hall. Which as you can imagine went down very well with the Catholics, women, and people of colour :)
Not sure why, it’s not about a specific religion, my lodge has 2 Jews, 6 catholic’s and numerous C of E, and I shit u not and a Jedi!
religion and politics are actually frowned upon as subject of discussion within the lodge.
free masonry is a different beast to the older bygone days and as a youngun in the lodge we are encouraged to talk freely with people who ask questions outside of the lodge. you just cannot share the ‘secrets’ which are basically passwords and various handshakes. It’s not for everyone as the ceremonies can seem odd at first but when u understand the meaning they make more sense.
My missus calls it the ‘funny fellas’
The Lodges in Scotland are brilliant to visit, usually don't have much of a festive board but there's always plenty of whisky. The ceremonies are also very different.
Been to few up there, and they stop halfway thru and break out the whiskey

Last edited:
Not sure why, it’s not about a specific religion, my lodge has 2 Jews, 6 catholic’s and numerous C of E, and I shit u not and a Jedi!
religion and politics are actually frowned upon as subject of discussion within the lodge.
free masonry is a different beast to the older bygone days and as a youngun in the lodge we are encouraged to talk freely with people who ask questions outside of the lodge. you just cannot share the ‘secrets’ which are basically passwords and various handshakes. It’s not for everyone as the ceremonies can seem odd at first but when u understand the meaning they make more sense.
My missus calls it the ‘funny fellas’

Been to few up there, and they stop halfway thru and break out the whiskey

Freemasonry changed from the form we see it portrayed on television after the Second World War, and then changed again in the North East after the shipyards and coal mines shut.

After the Second World War it was no longer a pursuit for the affluent, the doors opened fully to the working classes and it was seen as an escape and a return to camaraderie the returning heroes had experienced, a way of maintaining the discipline and morality instilled in their brief army training. People could talk of their experiences and not be ashamed.

A few years later it was for different reasons they needed to get together, redundancies were high and trades were disappearing.

I dare say there may be another influx once the pandemic is over.

Mate I'm not a mason but know enough to know that masons have certain signs of recognition that makes direct enquiry unecessary . .They wouldn't ask him .
Correct

Haven't had a chance to do any visiting as yet,looking forward to it though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back