Founded 1892 LFC

everton weating (royal?) blue and having the nick name toffees (as in toffee nosed?) whereas liverpool wear (labour?) red might hint at the origins of the clubs?
I thought that to but Everton were the club most Catholics supported and gain support from the Liberal Party. The LFC owner was an Orangeman (Holding I think his name was) and a support of the Conservative Party. That's were the split came from. Everton signed a few Irish players and had Irish managers. The first Irishman to sign for Liverpool was Ronnie Whelan. I don't think religion or politics played a big role among the fans or the clubs.

I thought that to but Everton were the club most Catholics supported and gain support from the Liberal Party. The LFC owner was an Orangeman (Holding I think his name was) and a support of the Conservative Party. That's were the split came from. Everton signed a few Irish players and had Irish managers. The first Irishman to sign for Liverpool was Ronnie Whelan. I don't think religion or politics played a big role among the fans or the clubs.
I don't think Ronnie Whelan was the first Irishman to sign for Liverpool.

It's more simple. Everton were a Methodist boys club team. St Domingos. When pro football started they dropped the religious angle to appeal to everyone - it's more profitable - and renamed themselves Everton FC. They played out of Anfield owned by John Houlding. Seeing how football was going, Houlding put up the rent. Everton refused and moved out and built Goodison Park. That was the main reason for the animosity/split.

However, methodists were big into the temperance movement at the time - they were a big part of the movement in America that eventually led to prohibition. A few of those involved with running Everton were still there from the boys club days. They didn't like that Houlding was a brewer by trade. He owned the Sandon pub/hotel, which is behind the Kop today. He was indeed a Tory and Orangeman.

When Everton left, Houlding formed LFC to fill his empty stadium. Within 7 years (1899) they'd win the 1st division. In 1905 Liverpool would dethrone 1904 champions, Everton, who refused to hand over the trophy.

So both are technically founded by members of protestant organisations (Methodists and Orangemen) but neither was ran religiously. 2 big waves of Irish immigration to Liverpool occurred at times Everton were really good so a lot of Irish immigrant Liverpudlians supported Everton. They also had an informal link-up with Shamrock Rovers, I think it was, so had a lot of Irish players for a time. Traditionally Everton are also strong in North Wales.

I don't think Ronnie Whelan was the first Irishman to sign for Liverpool.
First Irish born Catholic.

It's more simple. Everton were a Methodist boys club team. St Domingos. When pro football started they dropped the religious angle to appeal to everyone - it's more profitable - and renamed themselves Everton FC. They played out of Anfield owned by John Houlding. Seeing how football was going, Houlding put up the rent. Everton refused and moved out and built Goodison Park. That was the main reason for the animosity/split.

However, methodists were big into the temperance movement at the time - they were a big part of the movement in America that eventually led to prohibition. A few of those involved with running Everton were still there from the boys club days. They didn't like that Houlding was a brewer by trade. He owned the Sandon pub/hotel, which is behind the Kop today. He was indeed a Tory and Orangeman.

When Everton left, Houlding formed LFC to fill his empty stadium. Within 7 years (1899) they'd win the 1st division. In 1905 Liverpool would dethrone 1904 champions, Everton, who refused to hand over the trophy.

So both are technically founded by members of protestant organisations (Methodists and Orangemen) but neither was ran religiously. 2 big waves of Irish immigration to Liverpool occurred at times Everton were really good so a lot of Irish immigrant Liverpudlians supported Everton. They also had an informal link-up with Shamrock Rovers, I think it was, so had a lot of Irish players for a time. Traditionally Everton are also strong in North Wales.
That's sounds a lot more familiar. I just remember being surprised that Everton had a larger connection to Ireland than Liverpool considering the amount of Liverpool fans in Ireland today.

Last edited:
Fun fact: Everton has never played their home games in Everton since they were founded in 1878. Stanley Park, Priory Road, Anfield and Goodison Park - neither are in Everton.

Back