Founded 1892 LFC

SHEEPSKINBOOTS

Central Defender
126 years ago ,,,its now 29 seasons since they won the league title . Clearly they,ve won trophies in the mean time, BUT NO TITLE IN ALMOST A QUARTER OF THEIR HISTORY LOL, come on CITY

They were in second division for most of the 50s. Hardly a massive club.

Shankly made them what they became, with Paisley consolidating it.

Liverpool have spent around 11 or 12 seasons outside the top flight. A few going from the Lancashire leagues to the flight on formation. One relegation in 1903 but won 2nd then 1st division back to back by 1905. First division team until a financial meltdown in the early 50s after the 49 championship. The club spent most of that time doing everything but get promoted. Finished mid table first year down, other than that 4th in the 2nd division is the lowest ever league finish. (11,3,3,4,4,3,3,1).

Shankly would have managed 3 or 4 of those seasons div 2 seasons, the massive jock fraud. ;)

Shankly made them what they became, with Paisley consolidating it.
I'd find it had to disagree with this. Same for busby at Man United. The tragedy that was Munich galvanised them as a club, which took some courage from them. Both huge clubs now. Everton more historic than LFC though - IMHO.

The Toffees along with SAFC/Villa were real trail blazers, along with the likes of PNE and The Invincibles. England has some really old traditional clubs to be proud of.

It was the National Football Museum when at Preston who said that - "Sunderland AFC and Aston Villa provided world football with its first great club rivalry" - words to that effect. Always liked Villa. Great club. Hope they get back in the top flight soon. In fact, IIRC we have played Villa for league points more than any other team. I'm not at home so don't have the stats but someone might be able to confirm.

As for our history? Immense.

Last edited:
I got talking to a Liverpool FC historian on holidays once. Prior to Shankley, Everton were the city's big team. Everton are the oldest club as Liverpool broke away. He told me that Everton fans give Liverpool fans a hard time because of their non-scouse fans. But until Liverpool became successful most non-scousers supported Everton. He told me a lot of Irish, Welsh and Scots who moved to Merseyside would follow Everton and it was really only the locals who would follow Liverpool.

I got talking to a Liverpool FC historian on holidays once. Prior to Shankley, Everton were the city's big team. Everton are the oldest club as Liverpool broke away. He told me that Everton fans give Liverpool fans a hard time because of their non-scouse fans. But until Liverpool became successful most non-scousers supported Everton. He told me a lot of Irish, Welsh and Scots who moved to Merseyside would follow Everton and it was really only the locals who would follow Liverpool.
everton weating (royal?) blue and having the nick name toffees (as in toffee nosed?) whereas liverpool wear (labour?) red might hint at the origins of the clubs?

Back