Fortunate Unluckiness

Yesterday my car broke down about 50 yards away from a garage which was both unlucky and fortunate at the same time. Anyone else experienced anything similar? Like having a heart attack in a restaurant you were sharing with a cardiac expert or whatever?

Similar. Years ago had our tyre blown out by what seemed like a crossbow bolt approaching Gateshead industrial estate at night. Got missus to trundle the car into the estate to park near the only unit that still had lights on so I could replace wheel. Turns out she didn’t have a wheelbrace so had to call Greenflag. The unit with lights on was the mechanic Greenflag called to sort us out.

I was in the queue for lottery tickets a few years ago. Unbeknown to me they had gone up to £2. I only had about £1.80 in my pocket. With a red face I went to the cashpoint, back to the lottery terminal, bought my lucky dip..........which won £850.

My Dad wanted to be an RAF pilot during the war, but at the medical it was discovered that he had a heart murmur, he died in August aged 97, I believe that the average life expectancy of a pilot from first getting into a plane to death during the war was a few months. Without the heart murmur, I probably wouldn't have been born.
Old WH has shuffled off?
Sorry to learn this mate, hope he went peacefully. I told you before I thought he was a very nice fella and 97 is a sterling effort.
My old man WAS a pilot in WW2 and it’s only as I’ve learned more of history in recent years that I realise how lucky I am to be here. He survived aerial combat with the Hun only to fall victim to cancer at age 62.
I wonder how many people all over the world have his name on their birth certificate;)

Last edited:
Old WH has shuffled off?
Sorry to learn this mate, hope he went peacefully. I told you before I thought he was a very nice fella and 97 is a sterling effort.
My old man WAS a pilot in WW2 and it’s only as I’ve learned more of history in recent years that I realise how lucky I am to be here. He survived aerial combat with the Hun only to fall victim to cancer at age 62.
I wonder how many people all over the world have his name on their birth certificate;)
Hiya mate,
Yeah, he went peacefully. I know several people who's birth certificates he signed, and some who he then went on to teach at Bede.
Dad said that there was an air raid on Driffield, and the sirens went off. He was running to a shelter, got to the nearest one, and just thought NO, so he went to the next one. The one he thought NO about had a direct hit!

My brother went to the shop to buy 20 snouts the day after the budget (over 20 years ago this mind). They'd gone up overnight and he didn't have enough to buy 20 so got 10 and a scratchcard. He won £1000 on the scratchcard.

I was chancing it going home with only a quarter of a tank of fuel left. Ran out with 140 miles to go, but when I looked down to the fuel gauge after the first cough I ran a Newcastle supporter over.

Back