Forthcoming gigs.

Reports anyone, how was echo and the bunnymen?
They were decent. I've seen them maybe ten times since the mid eighties. However Ian's voice last night was borderline shot. I'm not sure whether he was ill or whether this is just how his voice is now. I can't recall the last time I saw a band have an interval. Seems this is normal for this tour and maybe it's a voice management thing or he just can't do a hour and three quarters on stage without a break. He had an unusual combination of drinks on stage including a pint of semi-skimmed milk, a cup of tea and various cold drinks alongside a box of tissues. I don't expect a 64 year old bloke to have the same voice he had 40 years ago but he seemed very relieved when the crowd took over certain songs. I'm not sure I'd go again as I fear it's downhill from this point and I'd rather remember them at their peak.

The support act was absolute and utter cack.

They were decent. I've seen them maybe ten times since the mid eighties. However Ian's voice last night was borderline shot. I'm not sure whether he was ill or whether this is just how his voice is now. I can't recall the last time I saw a band have an interval. Seems this is normal for this tour and maybe it's a voice management thing or he just can't do a hour and three quarters on stage without a break. He had an unusual combination of drinks on stage including a pint of semi-skimmed milk, a cup of tea and various cold drinks alongside a box of tissues. I don't expect a 64 year old bloke to have the same voice he had 40 years ago but he seemed very relieved when the crowd took over certain songs. I'm not sure I'd go again as I fear it's downhill from this point and I'd rather remember them at their peak.

How do you know it was semi skimmed?

Bunnymen really good, venue was a bit warm as always seems to be the case now,support act very strange tbh, utter cack is about right, got hives, big country, slash and Johnny Marr in the next week or so.

Bunnymen really good, venue was a bit warm as always seems to be the case now,support act very strange tbh, utter cack is about right, got hives, big country, slash and Johnny Marr in the next week or so.
If they don't, I'm not sure why they can't open the side doors of the standing area during the show to let some air in. Cynical me thinks it's to drive up drink sales.

I enjoyed E&TB. Swore last time I saw them (Sage, 2018) it was going to be the last due to his voice, but after hearing good reports from the tour so far and after looking at recent set-lists, I decided to go. First time I've ever been side balcony at the City Hall. Was right above the stage on the left which meant I couldn't see Will Sergeant at all, but was great to see the crowd reactions below from die-hards and younger fan alikes. For what I paid it was still good value. Agree with you @Dan..Dan..Dan..Dan on his voice. He seemed pleased to be in the venue especially when he reminisced about seeing Bowie from the balcony. And yes it was definitely semi-skimmed milk!

SUNN O))) at the boiler shop next week
NEW MODEL ARMY also at the b.s. next month . Haven't seen them since Tiffany's nearly 40 year ago. I believe in justice , I believe in vengeance, I believe in getting the bastards , getting the bastards!!!
Then in April >>>
BELL WITCH at brudenell in Leeds
Might go to A Certain Ratio .
Wanted to see Pissed Jeans but it's sold out:rolleyes:
Debating whether to do this or will an hour and a half of a low droning noise whack my ears for good????

Other than sharing a a stage, sadly the relationship between Will Sergeant and Ian McCulloch sounds none-existent these days. Will speaks about only being creative now through writing books. If you don't want to hear the full interview go to 11 mins in.

Was right above the stage on the left which meant I couldn't see Will Sergeant at all, but was great to see the crowd reactions below from die-hards and younger fan alikes. For what I paid it was still good value. Agree with you @Dan..Dan..Dan..Dan on his voice. He seemed pleased to be in the venue especially when he reminisced about seeing Bowie from the balcony. And yes it was definitely semi-skimmed milk!
I must have been nearish you. I was in the front row of the balcony with no view of Sergeant either, apart from the odd glimpse of his guitar's headstock and once or twice when he wandered towards Ian. I was very pleased when the gigantic fat man sitting next to me, a Leeds United supporter judging from his mobile lock screen, left at halftime and didn't come back.

Last edited:
Anyone seen the band Widowspeak before and recommend them? Playing the cluny tonight. From what I've heard they sound like Mazzy Star. Tempted to go.

Debating whether to do this or will an hour and a half of a low droning noise whack my ears for good????
I’ll be looking for a cheapy on the day like just for the experience, mind I’d look at getting some decent ear plugs that save your lugs but don’t muddy the sound. I’ve got a pair of fender ones that were great for Swans and Mogwai

Yeah agree about the support act, weird.
The cost of a pint is scandalous as well.

'Naah Then' mini festival thing in Sheffield tomo, some great bands on line up and early bird tickets were only £15!

Then Stockton Calling next Saturday, always a cracking day out.
Excellent yesterday again in Sheff - really odd venue, its a proper old school nightclub but splits out into different rooms and works well.
Busier than last year but then people were boycotting Tom Meighan( :rolleyes: , he was superb btw)
Highlights from yest (bearing in mind me and daughter (no) were gutted Bilk pulled out as headliners last min);

- Shader - on quite early but great band, swirling guitars/drums, sounded a bit like The Music,
- Youth Killed It - frontman was great, sounded like a mix between Bilk and Skinner Brothers,
- San Quentin - just a great band/noise,
- The Utopiates, seen them a few times now, proper good band, reckon these could make it, have the right sound, singer has great voice,
- The Mercians, moved up billing order over the years and def getting better and better,
- The Stanley, one of our favs, a bit disappointed set was short, but still just great tunes - seen them 5/6 times now

Cant wait for Stockton Calling now!

Back