Forthcoming gigs.

Saint Etiene were excellent tonight after a slightly shakey start from the sound man getting the levels all wrong.
Saw them in Edinburgh on Saturday, thought they were great, they had some teething problem that night too one of their musicians was sick So they were trying to fill in the blanks.

Saw chromatics last night, they were really good but didn’t play a single song from the new album which I thought was a bit odd.

Imnow in London next week with work and I have a choice to go and see Snapped Ankles, Haelos or William Doyle.

Anybody seen any of them ? I havnt and as I can only go to one im a bit stuck on who to see

Saw them in Edinburgh on Saturday, thought they were great, they had some teething problem that night too one of their musicians was sick So they were trying to fill in the blanks.

Saw chromatics last night, they were really good but didn’t play a single song from the new album which I thought was a bit odd.
Saint Etiene were excellent tonight after a slightly shakey start from the sound man getting the levels all wrong.
Very disappointed with them the other night. The music was OK and the string section fitted in well but Sarah Cracknell`s voice was so weak and flat at times. She had no stage presence at all. I was expecting much, much better. The Selecter, on the other hand on Sunday, exceeded all of my expectations. They were fantastic and Pauline Black just oozed charisma and energy.

Very disappointed with them the other night. The music was OK and the string section fitted in well but Sarah Cracknell`s voice was so weak and flat at times. She had no stage presence at all. I was expecting much, much better. The Selecter, on the other hand on Sunday, exceeded all of my expectations. They were fantastic and Pauline Black just oozed charisma and energy.
Do agree with you on Cracknell. To me she seemed kinda uncomfortable during the first half like her mind was elsewhere. Was much better second half. as for her voice, it’s always been weak, it’s their sound. I enjoyed it.

Do agree with you on Cracknell. To me she seemed kinda uncomfortable during the first half like her mind was elsewhere. Was much better second half. as for her voice, it’s always been weak, it’s their sound. I enjoyed it.
The show was definitely better in the second half. The crowd got more into it. I thought the music was fine and do quite like their records but not a big fan or anything, I just thought she looked really uncomfortable and awkward on stage. It`s as if she was pulled out of the crowd at the last minute and told to sing a few songs. I may have been in a minority though as others seemed to be enjoying it.

I did Midge Ure last night too where he did Vienna in full and a set of Visage songs with fellow Visage bandmate Rusty Egan. Not THAT was fantastic. Fade To Grey sounded utterly brilliant.

Selecter are always good, being a Cov kid by birth if not heritage and living through two tone I've seen them quite a few times. Think the sage was the last or next to last gig of the tiger bay tour, perhaps her voice was suffering. She certainly wasn't animated but her voice stood up once they'd got the levels sorted.

Plenty of room on the dance card at the moment but currently booked:

All day freebie at the Cumberland on Sunday with the wonderful Mr Ben & The Bens, Faithful Johannes and Roxy Girls, among others.

Long Ryders @ Riverside (Tue)
Birds Of Chicago @ Live Theatre (Thu)

Next month

Jade Bird (Newc Uni)
Kate Tempest (Boilershop)

Next year

Field Music (Playhouse)
Pete Wylie (Cluny)
Imnow in London next week with work and I have a choice to go and see Snapped Ankles, Haelos or William Doyle.

Anybody seen any of them ? I havnt and as I can only go to one im a bit stuck on who to see

Don't know anything about Haelos but I enjoyed WD as East India Youth and I've seen Snapped Ankles at Green Man a couple of times and they are a tremendous live act - if you like 'that sort of thing'. They'd get my vote.

Last edited:
Saturday 23rd November in Edinburgh, Bat For Lashes and a few days before that on Thursday 21st November there is a gig of sorts when Depeche Mode concert/docu film 'Spirits in the Forest' gets a one night only showing at around 4 or 5 thousand cinemas across the globe all at 8pm local times

Bear hands next week in nyc. Weirdly there’s hardly anything on here atm. Then got agnostic front and sick of it all in nov. Also the darkness. Not my choice lol!

Next year

Pete Wylie (Cluny)
I'm looking forward to seeing Pete next year as he's playing a cracking venue near me. Something seems to have persuaded him to play quite a few gigs over the next six months - I'm guessing that it must be that he was offered a few quid.

Don't know anything about Haelos but I enjoyed WD as East India Youth and I've seen Snapped Ankles at Green Man a couple of times and they are a tremendous live act - if you like 'that sort of thing'. They'd get my vote.

I’m swaying to Snapped Ankles as I’m a big fan of the motorik / punk sound.
Haelos are quite synth pop.
I loved WD also as east India youth, Shame he didn’t do more under that moniker

Martin Stephenson ..dec 5th Eburgh( gonna make this a 3 day trip..I love that City)

Barry Manilow ( he's a massive lads fan apparently)..March .. ncle( not a 3 day trip as I don't!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Back