Former employer final payment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait until you try and get a National Insurance rebate. You don't pay National Insurance contributions when you reach state pension age. However it overran by just over a month. Getting the rebate from HMRC from last December means that by the time the records are updated it could be July but most likely November. Only worked for the company for 30 years and thought they would know my age tbf. If I owed HMRC money and said ring back in 11 months for it, I wonder how that would pan out?

Spoke to them, they have no experience or training on advice for things tax related.

Thanks mate. I just rang them back and all they’re saying is “nothing to do with us, ring HMRC on 20th April and claim back anything they owe you.”

Aye ta love, that’ll keep food on the table in the meantime.
TBF to your employer, if it is tax then it is only HMRC who can help.

Go on and check your personal tax tatement for this year, it may shed some light.

Spoke to them, they have no experience or training on advice for things tax related.

Thanks mate. I just rang them back and all they’re saying is “nothing to do with us, ring HMRC on 20th April and claim back anything they owe you.”

Aye ta love, that’ll keep food on the table in the meantime.

Even some heads up this could happen would have been helpful like wouldn’t it

I’m assuming you got a new job? Nout they can do, get your first pay cheque bit earlier. Long shot I know.

I left my previous employer on Wednesday 27th March and went on 4 weeks garden leave.

The company pays its employees on the 18th of each month and my last payment I received was a correct months pay on the 18 of March.

I woke up this morning and noticed I hadn’t been paid anything. I contacted them and they said there had been a payroll error and I should have been paid the full end amount including garden leave pay last month but because it was late in the month it didn’t process.

They’re now saying I’m owed an amount from them, but this amount is about a 3rd less than I was expecting. They’re saying because it was an amount due in March, I’ve been taxed 40% and this is the reason it’s less than what I expected. They’re saying I need to contact HMRC to claim it back.

I’ve spoken to HMRC a moment ago and they told me they can’t see the details on their end yet, but they said it sounds like a large chunk of money that’s been taken. Even with emergency tax it’s usually only a 5th of the salary.

Has anyone else had a situation like this?Can anyone advise? I’m about £700 worse off now and have mortgage/direct debits that now won’t be covered.
What do you mean by 'garden leave'?

Even some heads up this could happen would have been helpful like wouldn’t it

I’m assuming you got a new job? Nout they can do, get your first pay cheque bit earlier. Long shot I know.
Start new role on 29th April. Won’t get paid until end of May. May have to ask the old man to do us a squeeze until then...

What do you mean by 'garden leave'?
Where you’re being paid to sit on your arse at home. Or it may be gardening leave? Fuck knows.

Start new role on 29th April. Won’t get paid until end of May. May have to ask the old man to do us a squeeze until then...

Where you’re being paid to sit on your arse at home. Or it may be gardening leave? Fuck knows.

Canny, yeah no shame in that, especially when not your fault.

Just use a credit card when that happens for me, with strategic balance transfers

Canny, yeah no shame in that, especially when not your fault.

Just use a credit card when that happens for me, with strategic balance transfers
Unfortunately I’ve been shite with credit when I was younger and I’m still paying for it now. Lesson learned the hard way! However it’s now nigh on impossible to get any balance transfer cards or loans.

Unfortunately I’ve been shite with credit when I was younger and I’m still paying for it now. Lesson learned the hard way! However it’s now nigh on impossible to get any balance transfer cards or loans.

Ah shite aye, probably for the best then! Can get carried away like on them for sure.

Yeah, I guessed gardening leave, it was more whether this was just your own leave owing or proper gardening leave which usually means full pay while suspended from work to avoid having any influence while you're seeing out your notice. Canny if its the latter and shouldn't make any difference to HMRC as you should just be paid as normal. Not 'payment in lieu' is it?

I left my previous employer on Wednesday 27th March and went on 4 weeks garden leave.

The company pays its employees on the 18th of each month and my last payment I received was a correct months pay on the 18 of March.

I woke up this morning and noticed I hadn’t been paid anything. I contacted them and they said there had been a payroll error and I should have been paid the full end amount including garden leave pay last month but because it was late in the month it didn’t process.

They’re now saying I’m owed an amount from them, but this amount is about a 3rd less than I was expecting. They’re saying because it was an amount due in March, I’ve been taxed 40% and this is the reason it’s less than what I expected. They’re saying I need to contact HMRC to claim it back.

I’ve spoken to HMRC a moment ago and they told me they can’t see the details on their end yet, but they said it sounds like a large chunk of money that’s been taken. Even with emergency tax it’s usually only a 5th of the salary.

Has anyone else had a situation like this?Can anyone advise? I’m about £700 worse off now and have mortgage/direct debits that now won’t be covered.

Look at me, look at me, im in the 40% tax bracket, pathetic.

Joking aside - Your company have paid/are going to pay you the correct amount but the tax you have suffered or are going to suffer via PAYE is excessive, is that right?

If that is the case then there is not a lot your company can do and you would need to sort it out with HMRC. Your company will have operated the tax code HMRC issued.

I would speak to HMRC and see what they can do, hopefully now that they use real time they can adjust everything fairly quickly and it can be put right in next month.

Im not sure you will be given a repayment if the pay has fallen into the 2019/20 tax year and your tax position is correct for 2018/19.

Yeah, I guessed gardening leave, it was more whether this was just your own leave owing or proper gardening leave which usually means full pay while suspended from work to avoid having any influence while you're seeing out your notice. Canny if its the latter and shouldn't make any difference to HMRC as you should just be paid as normal. Not 'payment in lieu' is it?
It is the latter so I’m not concerned after speaking to them that I’ll get the money owed. It’s now just a headache as I won’t see it for over a month. The mrs has changed jobs too so I was ideally needing to cover her too!

Look at me, look at me, im in the 40% tax bracket, pathetic.

Joking aside - Your company have paid/are going to pay you the correct amount but the tax you have suffered or are going to suffer via PAYE is excessive, is that right?

If that is the case then there is not a lot your company can do and you would need to sort it out with HMRC. Your company will have operated the tax code HMRC issued.

I would speak to HMRC and see what they can do, hopefully now that they use real time they can adjust everything fairly quickly and it can be put right in next month.

Im not sure you will be given a repayment if the pay has fallen into the 2019/20 tax year and your tax position is correct for 2018/19.
Thanks for the info

Last edited:
It is the latter so I’m not concerned after speaking to them that I’ll get the money owed. It’s now just a headache as I won’t see it for over a month. The mrs has changed jobs too so I was ideally needing to cover her too!

Thanks for the info

No problem, hopefully It will get sorted fairly quickly once your company submit your final P45 details. Once your P45 has worked its way through HMRC' systems it should be a case of an in month correction (not 100% sure but I thinks that's what will happen).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back