Former employer final payment

LondonMackem

Striker
I left my previous employer on Wednesday 27th March and went on 4 weeks garden leave.

The company pays its employees on the 18th of each month and my last payment I received was a correct months pay on the 18 of March.

I woke up this morning and noticed I hadn’t been paid anything. I contacted them and they said there had been a payroll error and I should have been paid the full end amount including garden leave pay last month but because it was late in the month it didn’t process.

They’re now saying I’m owed an amount from them, but this amount is about a 3rd less than I was expecting. They’re saying because it was an amount due in March, I’ve been taxed 40% and this is the reason it’s less than what I expected. They’re saying I need to contact HMRC to claim it back.

I’ve spoken to HMRC a moment ago and they told me they can’t see the details on their end yet, but they said it sounds like a large chunk of money that’s been taken. Even with emergency tax it’s usually only a 5th of the salary.

Has anyone else had a situation like this?Can anyone advise? I’m about £700 worse off now and have mortgage/direct debits that now won’t be covered.

I've been coming out with £300 a less than I should be since November. I've been told it'll 'right itself' when I get paid at the end of this month.

I seem to get a tax rebate to the tune of about a grand almost every year due to paying too much tax.

I'd speak to ACAS & see what they say.
Spoke to them, they have no experience or training on advice for things tax related.

Hope you get it sorted

It’s amazing amazing when you’re out the door who little they care
Thanks mate. I just rang them back and all they’re saying is “nothing to do with us, ring HMRC on 20th April and claim back anything they owe you.”

Aye ta love, that’ll keep food on the table in the meantime.

Back