'Formation' last night

• Thread starter Deleted member 55874
  • Start date

442 diamond out of possession making 433 with rotations (Ba always seems to lay narrower than a normal winger when wide though) with it so will distort average positions a bit. Was most obvious trying to win the ball high from goal kicks etc.

Mind, we seemed to sack the diamond off after around 15-20 mins. Don’t know if this was because he thought it wasn’t working or because Huddersfield started going long from kicks instead.

It’s odd either way as Beale complained Ba can’t play centrally after the match Saturday iirc.

First half hour Clarke, Rusyn and Ba all had a spell out wide or up top, only when Ba was 'on the right' he was actually playing behind Rusyn so we had nobody out on the right, which was a shit idea when we did it with Pritchard never mind Ba.

Was only once we conceded Ba played wide on the right and we stopped f***ing about rotating them.

Those type of formations mean that players look up first to see who is where, then because of the time they are taking, they turn backwards or sideways. Compare that with knowing where the wide men or partner is and shoving it there quickly.

The biggest problems were (as usual) we were far too slow in everything we did, and played like we were involved in a charity match. Too much strolling around, playing safe, sideways passes and never getting anyone in the box.
Ekwah spent so much time pausing with the ball while he worked out what to do with it, that the ref could have booked him for time wasting.

I had no idea in the first half where Ba was supposed to be playing. I don’t think he did either.

They’ve gone for the cheap, young, unproven option just like their transfer policy.

Only problem with that is, he’s shite and doesn’t have a clue. Lee Johnson on steroids.

I went to sleep and missed the second half of Plymouth cos the first half was so shite. We were saved by a couple of worldies against a tired side.

Last night was more of the same. They’ve dismantled everything that was good about last season. Can’t get my head around it.

When we had Stewart and Simms up front we looked like automatic promotion was a real possibility.

We’ve got Rusyn now.

Last edited:
The state of this.

Huddersfield 1-0 Sunderland - Championship 2023/2024 - Match Report

If you click on the player positions tab hopefully that works.

Huddersfield went with a fairly standard 4-2-3-1.

Our manager is far too clever for that - we just played every fucker through the middle apart from Hjelde and Clarke on the left. Hume and Neil as central defensive midfielders, Bellingham, Ekwah, Ba and Rusyn as central attacking midfielders.

This might have sounded exotic and clever when some Brazilian kids' coach was doing f***ing rondos on the training ground, but no bloody wonder nobody (including our own club commentators) could understand what the hell we were doing. Also no wonder their left back and left winger's average position was deep in our half.

This is exactly the kind of shite you get when a smart arse Director of Football loves to appoint smart arse Head Coaches who have achieved the square root of fuck all in their managerial career.
We were told this would happen. Beale adjusts his teams to play narrower and narrower

The biggest problems were (as usual) we were far too slow in everything we did, and played like we were involved in a charity match. Too much strolling around, playing safe, sideways passes and never getting anyone in the box.
Who’s responsible for that then ? The players or Beale ?

Worst game of football I've watched in ages. Some of our players really couldn't be bothered to put in any effort last night, at the point of being embarrassing. Jobe & Ekwah need dropping for several matches, they are both lazy fuckers and don't deserve to wear the shirt when they can't be arsed.

This was it.
Doesn't matter about the formation.
Huddersfield were up for it and faster and stronger than us
They were playing like they wanted to win

A win for us and we would have been top 6, yet as you said we were playing like it was a charity match, or like we were 5 nil up in a pre season friendly.
The level of commitment and desire was horrific.
I'm not surprised as I don't think Beale could motivate me - he may be a good coach but these young kids need to be motivated.

The state of this.

Huddersfield 1-0 Sunderland - Championship 2023/2024 - Match Report

If you click on the player positions tab hopefully that works.

Huddersfield went with a fairly standard 4-2-3-1.

Our manager is far too clever for that - we just played every fucker through the middle apart from Hjelde and Clarke on the left. Hume and Neil as central defensive midfielders, Bellingham, Ekwah, Ba and Rusyn as central attacking midfielders.

This might have sounded exotic and clever when some Brazilian kids' coach was doing f***ing rondos on the training ground, but no bloody wonder nobody (including our own club commentators) could understand what the hell we were doing. Also no wonder their left back and left winger's average position was deep in our half.

This is exactly the kind of shite you get when a smart arse Director of Football loves to appoint smart arse Head Coaches who have achieved the square root of fuck all in their managerial career.
WW1 tactics
Charge

Back