'Formation' last night

• Thread starter Deleted member 55874
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 55874

The state of this.

Huddersfield 1-0 Sunderland - Championship 2023/2024 - Match Report

If you click on the player positions tab hopefully that works.

Huddersfield went with a fairly standard 4-2-3-1.

Our manager is far too clever for that - we just played every fucker through the middle apart from Hjelde and Clarke on the left. Hume and Neil as central defensive midfielders, Bellingham, Ekwah, Ba and Rusyn as central attacking midfielders.

This might have sounded exotic and clever when some Brazilian kids' coach was doing f***ing rondos on the training ground, but no bloody wonder nobody (including our own club commentators) could understand what the hell we were doing. Also no wonder their left back and left winger's average position was deep in our half.

This is exactly the kind of shite you get when a smart arse Director of Football loves to appoint smart arse Head Coaches who have achieved the square root of fuck all in their managerial career.

The state of this.

Huddersfield 1-0 Sunderland - Championship 2023/2024 - Match Report

If you click on the player positions tab hopefully that works.

Huddersfield went with a fairly standard 4-2-3-1.

Our manager is far too clever for that - we just played every fucker through the middle apart from Hjelde and Clarke on the left. Hume and Neil as central defensive midfielders, Bellingham, Ekwah, Ba and Rusyn as central attacking midfielders.

This might have sounded exotic and clever when some Brazilian kids' coach was doing f***ing rondos on the training ground, but no bloody wonder nobody (including our own club commentators) could understand what the hell we were doing. Also no wonder their left back and left winger's average position was deep in our half.

This is exactly the kind of shite you get when a smart arse Director of Football loves to appoint smart arse Head Coaches who have achieved the square root of fuck all in their managerial career.
This was my worry when he was appointed. Seems to have a track record of trying to implement narrow formations like the 4-4-2 diamond we saw gift the game to the mags or the 4-3-2-1 “Christmas tree”.

Theres a reason so few managers have got those formations to work. They’re bloody difficult to play and it takes a world class coach like carlo ancelotti and the right players to make them successful.

It’s completely at odds with our squad and the “philosophy” the club were supposed to be embedding. Take his record out of it for a second and it was a ludicrous appointment on that point alone.

I think whatever formation we played last night would have made no difference at all. The players in my opinion cost us that game and not the manager. You can’t put in the effort we did and play with the tempo we did and expect anything from the game. The truth is we were very poor all across the pitch and our usual talisman Clarke probably had his worst performance in a Sunderland shirt and he was on the left. The players need to take a lot of criticism for their own displays last night and fans need to stop putting the blame squarely at the manager. He wasn’t my choice and still isn’t, but last night was one the players need to take blame for.

Formation ffs!
Only a ballroom dancer could see that.
Didn't like any formation/shape had been planned other than pass to Clarkesy.

The biggest problems were (as usual) we were far too slow in everything we did, and played like we were involved in a charity match. Too much strolling around, playing safe, sideways passes and never getting anyone in the box.

I'm not convinced the players are playing for Beale. I still want Beale gone mind.

The biggest problems were (as usual) we were far too slow in everything we did, and played like we were involved in a charity match. Too much strolling around, playing safe, sideways passes and never getting anyone in the box.
I agree, but it's usually a sign that players are not comfortable and havn't got a clue what they were supposed to be doing...
Spot on, ignore all the noise but critically his style and approach just doesn’t fit the squad we have….bizarre appointment.
But he was a one man band and cheap as chips, its a win win for the owners...

Last edited:
This was my worry when he was appointed. Seems to have a track record of trying to implement narrow formations like the 4-4-2 diamond we saw gift the game to the mags or the 4-3-2-1 “Christmas tree”.

Theres a reason so few managers have got those formations to work. They’re bloody difficult to play and it takes a world class coach like carlo ancelotti and the right players to make them successful.

It’s completely at odds with our squad and the “philosophy” the club were supposed to be embedding. Take his record out of it for a second and it was a ludicrous appointment on that point alone.
Our strength is wing play. Clarke, Roberts, to some extent Ba, then further back Hume, Alese, Cirkin, Hjelde, can all get forward and support a winger (acknowledged some are injured at the moment). Although we have Dan Neil in the middle who is comfortable on the ball, we don't have anyone who can really run with it and drive it forward from the centre of midfield.

Trying to play it narrow in a team of wingers is insane.

First half against Boro, Ba was brought (or wandered) inside a lot, leaving us without anyone on the right wing. Hume was very exposed.

Back