'Formation' last night

• Thread starter Deleted member 55874
  • Start date

The state of this.

Huddersfield 1-0 Sunderland - Championship 2023/2024 - Match Report

If you click on the player positions tab hopefully that works.

Huddersfield went with a fairly standard 4-2-3-1.

Our manager is far too clever for that - we just played every fucker through the middle apart from Hjelde and Clarke on the left. Hume and Neil as central defensive midfielders, Bellingham, Ekwah, Ba and Rusyn as central attacking midfielders.

This might have sounded exotic and clever when some Brazilian kids' coach was doing f***ing rondos on the training ground, but no bloody wonder nobody (including our own club commentators) could understand what the hell we were doing. Also no wonder their left back and left winger's average position was deep in our half.

This is exactly the kind of shite you get when a smart arse Director of Football loves to appoint smart arse Head Coaches who have achieved the square root of fuck all in their managerial career.

Baffling to see how deep we sit now, some of our attacking play used to be fantastic. Need to rethink ASAP.

Reeks of a bloke (or management team) that haven't got a clue.

Players looked particularly flat last night. Given their age, they should be zipping that footy around the pitch like kids in the playground, yet (again) it was dull, predictably slow, and easy for the opposition to snuff us out.

Mind you, if Beale is saying the same things to the players as he is to the media afterwards, it's no surprise that they're just going through the motions until the summer.

Last edited:
Might have been mentioned already but…

Those substitutions just felt like amateurish stabs in the dark

Takes a left back off and brings a right back on, moves existing right back to left back

On 72 he takes our only striker off and bring a on a midfielder

On 81 decides that hasn’t worked so takes a midfielder off to bring a striker back on

Result is that with what turned out to be 15 minutes left we had only brought 4 of the allowed 5 substitutes on, but as we had used all our allowed sub windows, we couldn’t bring anyone else on and had no cover for injuries.

Lo and behold, Roberts gets injured and we have to play out 10 mins with 10 men due to his incompetence, and those around him who are just as bad.

Absolute amateur hour.

Might have been mentioned already but…

Those substitutions just felt like amateurish stabs in the dark

Takes a left back off and brings a right back on, moves existing right back to left back

On 72 he takes our only striker off and bring a on a midfielder

On 81 decides that hasn’t worked so takes a midfielder off to bring a striker back on

Result is that with what turned out to be 15 minutes left we had only brought 4 of the allowed 5 substitutes on, but as we had used all our allowed sub windows, we couldn’t bring anyone else on and had no cover for injuries.

Lo and behold, Roberts gets injured and we have to play out 10 mins with 10 men due to his incompetence, and those around him who are just as bad.

Absolute amateur hour.
Yep. And as you say, the result of all of that nonsense was that we had to play the game out with 10 men, whilst technically having 1 alloted sub remaining and with Rigg and Aouchiche sat on the bench unable to come on. He's an idiot.

It’s completely at odds with our squad and the “philosophy” the club were supposed to be embedding. Take his record out of it for a second and it was a ludicrous appointment on that point alone.
I think this and the lack of high press are the best critiques of the appointment. They go against the progress thus far
The state of this.

Huddersfield 1-0 Sunderland - Championship 2023/2024 - Match Report

If you click on the player positions tab hopefully that works.

Huddersfield went with a fairly standard 4-2-3-1.

Our manager is far too clever for that - we just played every fucker through the middle apart from Hjelde and Clarke on the left. Hume and Neil as central defensive midfielders, Bellingham, Ekwah, Ba and Rusyn as central attacking midfielders.

This might have sounded exotic and clever when some Brazilian kids' coach was doing f***ing rondos on the training ground, but no bloody wonder nobody (including our own club commentators) could understand what the hell we were doing. Also no wonder their left back and left winger's average position was deep in our half.

This is exactly the kind of shite you get when a smart arse Director of Football loves to appoint smart arse Head Coaches who have achieved the square root of fuck all in their managerial career.
The shot map is poor. 50% of our shots from outside of the box. Whereas they had 55% in the box (not including 6 yard box)

Hit and hope

Last edited:
Worst game of football I've watched in ages. Some of our players really couldn't be bothered to put in any effort last night, at the point of being embarrassing. Jobe & Ekwah need dropping for several matches, they are both lazy fuckers and don't deserve to wear the shirt when they can't be arsed.
👏👏👏👏

Appointing Beale just didn't fit with the way Speakman wants us to play and the 'philosohy'. Another reason why the appointment didn't make sense.
It is the one question I’d ask Speakman if I ever had the chance.

I actually don’t mind Beale compared to how he seems to rile up others.

I do wonder why we’ve signed a coach known for playing narrow when our best players are wingers and we have a bonk on for signing more.

And what Speakman means when he says “Sunderland identity”. I would expect this to include high pressing, as our fans (rightly or wrongly) respond well to overt displays of effort. Yet we signed a coach who is openly against this way of playing.

Not an issue in itself as they’re are many ways to play football and you don’t have to press, but it makes me question what our “identity” is supposed to be. If it includes width or pressing, Beale is a strange appointment.

Last edited:
It is the one question I’d ask Speakman if I ever had the chance.

I actually don’t mind Beale compared to how he seems to rile up others.

I do wonder why we’ve signed a coach known for playing narrow when our best players are wingers and we have a bonk on for signing more.

And what Speakman means when he says “Sunderland identity”. I would expect this to include high pressing, as our fans (rightly or wrongly) respond well to overt displays of effort. Yet we signed a coach who is openly against this way of playing.

Not an issue in itself but it makes me question what our “identity” is supposed to be. If it includes width or pressing, Beale is a strange appointment.
Yeah, exactly that mate. Just doesn't fit into the way we have tried to play since Speakman came in. It's an odd one. Can only come down to Beale was free and available.

The amount of negative sideways and backward passes from the midfield to the defence to the goalkeeper was f***ing dreadful last night! Beale must have set them up with no right winger and Clarke was stood high on the left with Rusyn up front initially then when he realised that they were playing with wingers he tried to put Ba out wide but what a shambles it was, weak as piss in midfield mind, just don’t see what Jobe brings as a no 10 and Ekwah is clearly better when not being asked to play sitting deep! Hopefully an off night and get a reaction on Saturday but I’m honestly not looking forward to driving to Birmingham and back 🤦‍♂️

Interesting that we've appointed a manager who doesn't like to play with width when all we seem to have bought for the last 2 years are wingers and full backs.
Barmy, isn’t it? Forcing the game into the middle where we have no-one capable of putting their foot in.
He called yesterday a “midfield battle” when there was very little evidence of battle in any of our midfielders.

Back