For those who are self-employed...

you will obviously have to declare that for June U/C but hopefully you will be back in work by then
I've committed to going back on the 8th June and I'll take it from there. I could have worked right through but working on a construction site it's almost impossible to keep 2m apart and our lass has COPD and asthma so obviously the risk was too much. I'll see what distancing is like and if I'm not happy I'll go back on the newly announced 70% SEISS. Personally I think Furlough and SEISS should have dropped to 60%.

I've committed to going back on the 8th June and I'll take it from there. I could have worked right through but working on a construction site it's almost impossible to keep 2m apart and our lass has COPD and asthma so obviously the risk was too much. I'll see what distancing is like and if I'm not happy I'll go back on the newly announced 70% SEISS. Personally I think Furlough and SEISS should have dropped to 60%.
can you not work and claim ?

Yes you can claim if your income is affected but with me whether I work or not has more to do with distancing and the chances of me bringing Covid home.

Yes you can claim if your income is affected but with me whether I work or not has more to do with distancing and the chances of me bringing Covid home.
i think thats the case with most people but obviously at different levels and circumstances - i have not worked since returning to England out of choice/safety tbh

Government have come up with the goods again on this & credit where it’s due
They’ve backed the majority of the workforce - there’s always gonna be some that miss out unfortunately

i agree but it must be a right pisser for those who have missed out on a Technicality tbh especially as some self employed have been able to claim while still working and others who could not work or claim have had nothing at all

So is everyone sorted with this then. I kept putting it off and have been okay, I realised sooner or later a call would be made on extending so rather the 'pot' stayed healthy for those that needed it the most...despite knowing a few that have taken and are actually doing over & above usual intake. My accountant thinks I'm crackers like.

So is everyone sorted with this then. I kept putting it off and have been okay, I realised sooner or later a call would be made on extending so rather the 'pot' stayed healthy for those that needed it the most...despite knowing a few that have taken and are actually doing over & above usual intake. My accountant thinks I'm crackers like.
Get ya claim in for March to may. And then to August.you don't know what's round the corner this coming year mate. What do you do out of interest?

Get ya claim in for March to may. And then to August.you don't know what's round the corner this coming year mate. What do you do out of interest?

I know mate, trying to stay a couple of weeks ahead of what transpires. Internet trader, so factored in it would take the internet/electricity to go down to cause any harm here and if that happened then I think we would be past the point of caring about a business :) It went to plan , people housed up created more internet activity, the problem would be global postal systems (which could create refunds) but they have held up, the majority of customers realise it would take about 3 times more duration of transit (even domestically), which is good. I really fear for some businesses mind, very important to support them in these times.

I know mate, trying to stay a couple of weeks ahead of what transpires. Internet trader, so factored in it would take the internet/electricity to go down to cause any harm here and if that happened then I think we would be past the point of caring about a business :) It went to plan , people housed up created more internet activity, the problem would be global postal systems (which could create refunds) but they have held up, the majority of customers realise it would take about 3 times more duration of transit (even domestically), which is good. I really fear for some businesses mind, very important to support them in these times.
Ah well I can understand you not claiming then. It specifically states your business must have suffered due to the pandemic. Internet sales must be booming in most sectors. Liable to a fraud investigation.🤦

Ah well I can understand you not claiming then. It specifically states your business must have suffered due to the pandemic. Internet sales must be booming in most sectors. Liable to a fraud investigation.🤦

Yep, I think when this whole thing calms down a few that have greatly taken the piss will be getting tax inspections etc as Government look to claw some of the money back.

Yep, I think when this whole thing calms down a few that have greatly taken the piss will be getting tax inspections etc as Government look to claw some of the money back.
The issue is " have you been affected by the pandemic". Almost certainly everyone has to some degree. Maybe not 80% of income, but hey, never look a gift horse in the mouth .they paid out for March, yet until around the 27th, everyone was still grafting. Personally when the shit properly hits the fan, everyone will be told that's it, you've had a bit off us, now fuck off and fend for yourselves. Tough times ahead mate I reckon, which is why I'm getting all I'm entitled to just in case.

The issue is " have you been affected by the pandemic". Almost certainly everyone has to some degree. Maybe not 80% of income, but hey, never look a gift horse in the mouth .they paid out for March, yet until around the 27th, everyone was still grafting. Personally when the shit properly hits the fan, everyone will be told that's it, you've had a bit off us, now fuck off and fend for yourselves. Tough times ahead mate I reckon, which is why I'm getting all I'm entitled to just in case.

It's a good point. It's not entirely about the here and now but like you say more potential problems down the line, everyone needs to do what they think fit for their own circumstances, especially with this 'new normal' tripe they keep going on about.

Respect for that. Our son does Outward Bound teaching on a 'self-employed' basis April to October each year but they put it through PAYE, so not 'self-employed', and of course not working in March, so no furlough. So a genuine case doesn't fit the system. We could have put him through our business in theory, but we didn't because it's dishonest. He's working PT at Asda on night shift extra staff but gets punted out next week. There's always winners and losers sadly.

Back