For those who are self-employed...

No

They need to clarify who can apply imo.It needs to be set in stone. Can't have people applying, getting paid, then the govt setting up new teams at huge expense to claim it back.It's just so wrong, on many levels.

my business is affected as I’m paying higher interest on stuff because I couldn’t pay during the period when I wasn’t paid for 12 weeks.
I’ve also lost a customer due to Coronavirus

Apologies if this link doesn't work. As with all Self Assessment the onus is on the tax payer to fess up /pay money back if ineligible to claim. Potential for 100% repayment of the grant + 100% penalty + possible addition of interest. All dependant upon circumstances of course.
I have no issue with that, other than guidelines of claiming are sketchy as fuck. I was replying to a quote which said anyone claiming the second grant will be investigated. I've been affected since 14th July, not to the point of zero income, but affected non the less. I would receive well over 5k for the second grant, but scaremongering is putting me off tbh.

I have no issue with that, other than guidelines of claiming are sketchy as fuck. I was replying to a quote which said anyone claiming the second grant will be investigated. I've been affected since 14th July, not to the point of zero income, but affected non the less. I would receive well over 5k for the second grant, but scaremongering is putting me off tbh.
Any detrimental effect, however small, qualifies you for the second grant.

If investigated, all you have to do is give one piece of evidence where you have made a loss, or less than you would normally have made, and you're fine.

My missus sells holidays in France, and only France (Disneyland Paris), as a self-employed homeworker and has already had money taken off her by the company to claw back commission she had already been paid when customers cancelled last month - before the quarantine malarkey.

Now the quarantine is in place she expects a hell of a lot more of the same, unless she can persuade customers to re-book for next year. Just one of those examples of commission being taken off her to cover a cancelled holiday means she qualifies for the second grant.

Theoreticly if you have a nail salon and 1 person has cancelled or you had to cancell 1 person you have been affected im sure your circumstances are greater than that

Theoreticly if you have a nail salon and 1 person has cancelled or you had to cancell 1 person you have been affected im sure your circumstances are greater than that
They are mate. Had a job delayed 5 days last week , couldn't get hold of plaster to start the job. How I would be able to provide evidence of this beats me mind.

They are mate. Had a job delayed 5 days last week , couldn't get hold of plaster to start the job. How I would be able to provide evidence of this beats me mind.
i have had loads like that-- i had to board a ceiling tape it and easy fill the joints as there is no plaster to be had anywhere
also had a kitchen to fit and insted of being on the shelf it was 5 weeks to re stock

Last edited:
i have had loads like that-- i had to board a ceiling tape it and easy fill the joints as there is no plaster to be had anywhere
also had a kitchen to fit and insted of being on the shelf it was 5 weeks to re stock
On that note, its fycking ridiculous how many shortages there are. Suppliers need to step up to the plate. There's a huge boom on at present, but many of us can't get going properly. The suppliers still have many furloughed.in fact the country ad a whole needs s big boot up the arse and get back grafting. Its too easy to use Covid as an excuse.

On that note, its fycking ridiculous how many shortages there are. Suppliers need to step up to the plate. There's a huge boom on at present, but many of us can't get going properly. The suppliers still have many furloughed.in fact the country ad a whole needs s big boot up the arse and get back grafting. Its too easy to use Covid as an excuse.
everywhere has run out of everything- 7 weeks for glass to replace a window 6 weeks for a UPVC door FFS its no wonder i only get a few days work a week at the moment
if there is a paint shortage anytime soon i might as well just retire

Last edited:

As per @Jap Stammer you should be absolutely fine, self employed previously and still self employed now + business suffered due to covid. There will be a small percentage of claims which don't stack up and they probably won't come out in the wash until after January 2022 when the current year tax returns are (in theory) all filed.

You're right though there has definitely been a campaign to put folks off. I've a client who made the first claim using hmrcs calculated figures. He received the money just days later. A few weeks later he called hmrc and spoke to a tier 3 officer and talked through his circumstances. The officer assured him his claim was legitimate and said he was making notes to that effect on file. Since then the client has repaid the money to hmrc as he's unconvinced. Upon repaying there's a drop down for reasons, he just said he doesn't need the money. His primary concern is a investigation and penalty, he works in a licenced sector within finance and any issues with HMRC could cause him massive problems, for him it's simply not worth that risk. If he just carried on any other trade he wouldn't be too concerned at all.

There’s no incentive as the government is paying furlough till the end of Oct
Self employed help finishes end of Aug

How do you find out when you can claim?
I had an email this morning saying I could apply tomorrow.

Had this is in it which makes me feel more comfortable claiming.

There is no minimum threshold over which your business’s income or costs need to have changed. You will need to keep a record of evidence of how your business has been adversely affected.

Once again a little reminder for people - If you are claiming U/C and you claim your self employment payment this month you will potentially loose all your U/C payment for August so if you can afford too hang fire and claim your Self Employment payment after the end of the month

Back